Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Gun talk

So if I understand this right, any state law that forbids (open) carry a gun is unlawful? So when you are allowed to own a gun you are also allowed to carry it in public?

(I dont understand to much of american gun law's so I am a bit lost here)

It's complicated. :) It is also a constant, ongoing battle here in the U.S.

To break it down into real world, every day, "nitty gritty", there are some places in the U.S. that you can open carry without getting accosted by law enforcement officers, and there are other places where you will be accosted (and perhaps disarmed and even arrested). Here in rural east Tennessee, where I live, I occasionally see people open carry in public. You just best not do it inside a business or government building that has a "no handguns permitted" sign on the door. I happen to have a carry permit. My permit says "Handgun Carry Permit". It doesn't say anything about me having to conceal the handgun. Personally, I prefer not to go through the potential hassle of being questioned by the police if I open carry, so I only carry concealed.

On the other end of the spectrum, try open carrying in New York City and see how far you get, lol. ;-)

So, to answer your question, there are federal laws, state laws, and municipal laws. If you don't want to have an interaction with law enforcement officers, it's best to know the "lay of the land". ;-)

Sorry, but that's the best answer I can give.

Ironically, gun ordinances are the constitutionally sanctioned "State's Rights" priveleges that places like California and cities like Chicago use most to thumb their noses at Federalism.
In all the other areas of progressive social engineering, those politicians would impose their sensibilities throughout the nation despite the State's Rights preferences of places like Tennessee or Montana.

(Uh-oh, Site Supervisor must resist urges to make political posts . . . :poop:)

Don't really see any reason for open carry. You carry to have another tool to defend or defuse a bad situation not to invite arguments/conversations or other troubles. Keep you firearm tucked away.

Edit
This opinion applies to populated areas.

Don't really see any reason for open carry. You carry to have another tool to defend or defuse a bad situation not to invite arguments/conversations or other troubles. Keep you firearm tucked away.

Edit
This opinion applies to populated areas.

Agreed. I'm not squeamish around guns at all, but even I, a Tennessee hillbilly and a card carrying NRA member, don't see any reason go around packin a "smokewagon" on your hip, in plain view. All that does is invite attention that any sensible person wouldn't want.

Ohio is an "open carry" state. I have never gotten into the nitty gritty of that law. I have a conceal carry weapon and a license to carry it in Ohio, Florida, Michigan and others that have reprocity with Ohio. I did the other day while at Menards with my wife see a guy in line ahead of me with a gun on his hip just as pretty as you please. To be honest I was taken aback a little bit, not that I'm afraid of a cat with a pistol just that why be so blatant about it. Off duty cops don't even do that. I had mine on my hip covered by my T shirt.

On another note @sspoom and @Meat Grinder I get my 1st SS check in August and I'll have my Henry in September.

Question..I'm gonna buy my Henry rifle next month, what case do you guys use and why? hard or soft? My son has both types and I'm not sure what is the most practical. I always preferred hard cases for my guitars but thats a different animal.

Soft are easier to handle and carry and I presume you are careful with the guns anyway. Hard is great but more expensive, usually larger so takes up more room, and clumsy. A lot depends on what you are doing in terms of traveling with them. I use silicon socks on the weapons as well.

So if I understand this right, any state law that forbids (open) carry a gun is unlawful? So when you are allowed to own a gun you are also allowed to carry it in public?

(I dont understand to much of american gun law's so I am a bit lost here)

Courts have ruled that the right to self-defense extends outside the home. In states that ban concealed carry, they (in theory) must allow open carry. If a state bans open carry, they must allow concealed carry. Pro-gun states can permit both.

Anti-gun states like California get around this by banning open carry and allowing concealed carry BUT they require a permit to carry concealed. They then make the concealed carry permit impossible to get. You need to have "good cause" for a permit and virtually no one meets the state's definition of good cause. I have friends who run cash businesses who carry a lot of money around get denied permits. So carrying a gun outside the home becomes impossible.

This practice is going to be challenged in the courts in the next few years, I am guessing.

Being Canadian I don't get all the really fun stuff (High Cap Mags) but I make due on a tighter budget.

Winchester SXP Defender in 12 gauge. Amazing gun, incredibly reliable, not overly pricey and so much fun to shoot and insanely fast slide (inertia driven)
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/shotguns/sxp/SXP-Current-Products/sxp-defender.html

Winchester SXP Marine Defender in 12 Gauge. Picked it up from a buddy in pristine condition for 200 bucks cash.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/shotguns/sxp/SXP-Current-Products/sxp-marine-defender.html

Savage MK.1 bolt action 22lr. Lots of fun for screwing around or gopher control, single shot so great for the future wife to practice with. I put a Nikon buckmaster 2 3-9x 40 on it for shits and giggles. all in all cost me about $450 after scope mounting hardware and scope.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...tion-22lr-rimfire-21-barrel-1-round?a=1787993

Finally I have 2 SKS rifles. One Chinese in tapco furniture with a muzzle brake and the other is a Russian one with all matching serials from the Tula factory stamped 1954. The Russian one can hit an 8" steel plate at 200yds over the iron sights. definitely my favourite of all.

Have bin to my next dynamic shooting (ISPC) training. Saddly only one of my "runs" was recorded and it had to be the one where the "poper" didnt release the swinging target and one of the obstacles fell over after I passed by :sofa:

Back