Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Gun talk

Also keep in mind that you can buy .45 long colt ammunition in +P which pretty much puts it on par with .44 magnum ammo and can be shot in the Ruger Vaquero. :) (Edit: Don't shoot .45 long colt +P ammo in the "New" Vaquero, only in the "Old" larger frame Vaquero.)

But I understand the allure of having a rifle (your Henry) and a handgun take the same ammo.

Damn. Now I want a Vaquero.

Last edited:
I'm digging into this, I'm also not opposed to buying a used gun. I may have to go to a gun show. Problem is I am not a real savvy gun guy although my friend is somewhat. Right MG, I do want to have a revolver taking the same ammo as the Henry..keepin things efficient...I also want a western style revolver. Thanks @sspoom for your input. BTW I'm getting the swivels put on the Henry as I write this, should have it back next week. How do you like your sling MG, and what color did you get. Ya know I found a youtube vid on how to drill the holes to install the swivels..I could do it but if I fucked it up I wouldn't be able to live with myself so $40.00 here I come.

Ordered the sling and bandolier today, that takes care of the Henry for now...off to look into revolvers. This is ideally what I'm looking for. This is a Hawes western Marshall they were made my Sauer back in the day. Or something close to it.IMG_9420.JPG

OK, went to a couple of gun stores today to check out western style pistols. First stop I looked at a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag. Really nice pistol, well manufactured. Fit and finish was excellent, felt good in my hand and seemed heavy enough to handle a .44 mag cartridge without too much recoil. What I didn't understand was that while one was $649.00 in blued and stainless the case hardened model was $849.00. The cat behind the counter wasn't as helpful as I would have liked.
IMG_9449.JPG
Next stop I checked out a Uberti Cattleman .45 cal. I wanted to look at a .44 mag "Callahan" but they had none so I had to look at a cattleman. (I was just checking feel, weight, fit and finish so it was just as good) Uberti offered a wider selection of looks for their guns, but after holding it I wasn't happy with the heft of it at all. The fit and finish didn't come close to the Ruger either. the Cattleman was around $500.00. The cat behind the counter looked like he'd rather be somewhere else and seemed annoyed that I wanted to check out multiple pistols.
IMG_9450.JPG
So bottom line right now the Ruger wins it for me but I'm gonna check a few other stores and just kinda think about this before I dive in. I do want to have this done before Christmas. Any thoughts/advice is welcome.

That's what I was afraid of. I don't think you are going to do better than a Ruger Super Blackhawk for a single action .44 magnum revolver.

If you are willing to go .45 long colt, that opens up a whole new world, but I would still give much attention to the Ruger Vaquero.

Back