Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Gun talk

Here is the response from Leupold:

"For your application, I recommend using the VX-2 1.5-4X20mm IER Scout scope. A variable magnification will help with engaging targets at close and max range with a 44 Magnum.
The variable magnification scout scopes work really well on lever guns and the eye relief is spot on when mounted over the receiver.
Take a look at P/N 119621

Regards,
Robbie"

Here is the product he is recommending:

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-2-riflescopes/vx-2-1-5-4x28mm-ier-scout-scope/

No doubt a fine optic.

I ordered the Skinner peep sight. Number one, it's much less expensive than a good scope+rings+mount and number two, I just don't like the look of a scope on a lever action.

SteelBigBoyExpress.jpg

I got the one in the picture, because I like the two tone of the steel and brass. Being mounted on the receiver, it will give a longer sight radius and better accuracy. I've been corresponding with Henry Arms via e-mail and even they said the Skinner sights "are fantastic".

I ordered the Skinner peep sight. Number one, it's much less expensive than a good scope+rings+mount and number two, I just don't like the look of a scope on a lever action.

View attachment 13030

I got the one in the picture, because I like the two tone of the steel and brass. Being mounted on the receiver, it will give a longer sight radius and better accuracy. I've been corresponding with Henry Arms via e-mail and even they said the Skinner sights "are fantastic".
That is a nice looking site. I am thinking I will go for that one as well. I'm glad to see you didn't opt for the "scope"

@Buckykatt Indeed. I'll let you know how it performs.

Speaking of Leupold scopes though, I think it's about time I replaced my old Simmons $50 4x scope on my 10-22 with something of higher quality. I've had that thing on there since the late 1980s, because it was all I could afford at the time.

Sort of on topic, but just had to post this vid because it's great. WW2 vet reunited with an M1 Garand. You can see the memories flooding back to him as he looks at it. I had the fortunate opportunity to do the same thing with a neighbor a few years back. It's really something to see their eyes light up when they again see the rifle that saw them through some hard times.

@Buckykatt So I installed the Skinner rear peep sight and took it to the range. It didn't take long to determine that I was shooting high at 25 and 50 meters, even with the rear aperture adjusted to it's lowest setting. I'm going to need a taller front sight. This is understandable, since the Skinner rear sight mounts on the receiver, which is higher than the OEM barrel mounted front buckhorn sight.

Also, it is my opinion that the default (.096) rear aperture supplied by Skinner is too large for my needs. I ordered and today received the medium (.070) and fine (.040) apertures. The smaller the aperture, the more precise the aiming, at the expense of field of view and speed of target acquisition.

Today I ordered the Skinner brass front sight at .650 inches high, which can be trimmed down with a file if necessary. After talking to Henry, the factory supplied front sight is 0.49".

Here's hoping you appreciate my "paving the way" to your eventual success. :p

2017-05-16_09-39-04_154.jpg 2017-05-16_09-39-49_939.jpg

@Buckykatt I think I got the Henry pretty much dialed in at 50 meters. The top target was my last four shots after my final adjustment. Oh, and I also found out that Winchester "white box" 240 grain jacketed soft point ammo groups way, way tighter than the HSM "cowboy action" cartridges I was shooting. I mean like night and day difference. Lucky to hit the black with the HSM ammo. I won't be buying that again.

2017-05-26_11-30-15_798.jpg

Also, the Colt .380 is still jamming when I put six in the magazine. Works fine with five or fewer. Guess I'll just have to live with five in the mag and one in the chamber. Shoots pretty good though.

Generic pics of my basic armory.
mossberg.jpg
Mossberg Maverick 88
$200 shotgun that is worth way more than the price tag.
Picked it up when we where having issues with the drug dealers a few house down.

smith and wesson.jpg
Smith and Wesson M&P 40 (40cal the indecisive cartridge)
Bought it back in 08 during the ammo drought. You couldn't get 9mm or 45 anywhere but there was plenty of 40 on the shelves.

walther.jpg
Walther PPKS
A Little summer carry pocket pistol that I got in a barter arrangement.

g22.jpg
Walther G22
A fun 22 for plinking that I bought used.

I do have an AR lower but haven't had the motivation to build the rifle yet.

Generic pics of my basic armory.
View attachment 13112
Mossberg Maverick 88
$200 shotgun that is worth way more than the price tag.
Picked it up when we where having issues with the drug dealers a few house down.

Hell yea! Say what you want, I think Mossbergs are great. They may not have the fit and finish of the fancy shotguns, but they function. They are the AK47s of the shotgun world.

View attachment 13113
Smith and Wesson M&P 40 (40cal the indecisive cartridge)
Bought it back in 08 during the ammo drought. You couldn't get 9mm or 45 anywhere but there was plenty of 40 on the shelves.

I lol'd at "indecisive cartridge". :)

View attachment 13114
Walther PPKS
A Little summer carry pocket pistol that I got in a barter arrangement.

Nice little .22.

View attachment 13115
Walther G22
A fun 22 for plinking that I bought used.

That just looks cool!

Last edited:
Back