Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Gun talk

My newest addition. Bought 60min ago. (The paperwork took 6 weeks - according to the nice lady at the mayor office they are beeing overrun with applications atm)
tUnYLsn.jpg

OMG--I want one of those so badly. They are not allowed in California. I shoot an SPO1 AccuShadow in USPSA. Love the Accu, but the Shadow 2 looks amazing.

Why on earth are those banned out in CA? Mag size, or some other stupid reason?

It is a new gun. CA law requires new guns to have certain "safety" features. For example, ejected brass must be micro-stamped with the serial number of the gun.

Of course, few of these technologies even exist, so it is a defacto ban on new handguns. Old guns are grandfathered. So in CA, a Gen 3 Glock is OK, but a Gen 4 Glock is not.

Hard to believe this has not been struck down. Totally unconstitutional.

It is a new gun. CA law requires new guns to have certain "safety" features. For example, ejected brass must be micro-stamped with the serial number of the gun.

o_O
Someone with to much power watched to much Judge Dredd (the movie with Stalone, not the new one)

Havent fired one yet. According to a Close friend of mine, who got his Hands on one during a class he took, they have less recoil and shoot well.

Here in Switzerland they are really expensiv around 2200$ + 80-90$ for a box of ammo - thats to much for me.

@Nemesis out of curriosity: If you move to CA from a other state, and you bring a gun that was legal there, would you have to give it away?

@Nemesis out of curriosity: If you move to CA from a other state, and you bring a gun that was legal there, would you have to give it away?

Honestly, I am not certain on this. The laws are very complex and have lots of loopholes.

For me to POSSESS a Shadow 2 would not be a crime. I could actually buy one so long as it was USED and I bought it from someone from CA. I know law enforcement officers (the only class of people who can buy them new) who buy new Shadow 2s for $1300 and then resell them used for $2000.

But I could not buy a NEW one. All gun sales go through the CA DOJ and they would reject the sale.

I think that bringing a Shadow 2 in might be OK. But you absolutely could not bring in the standard capacity magazines. You would need 10 round magazines.

But you CAN own standard capacity magazines if you lived in CA and owned them before a particular law was passed.

It is essentially a shit show over here.

What do you guys think of the 57 round? And the 57 pistol? Seems very potent for its size.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seven

I shot an FN 5.7 handgun. I honestly had a lot of bias against it before I shot it. It looks like a block and does not seem very ergonomic, but it actually felt pretty good in the hand. The recoil is maybe 60-70% of a 9mm, so follow up shots are very fast. I was impressed.

But the terminal ballistics are the million dollar question. One camp claims that this round is the Hammer of Thor. Another camp claims that it is not much more than a .22 Magnum which is no one's first choice. The steel core rounds will go through soft body armor, however. So if that is what you are facing, it might be the way to go. I would personally just take a rifle if that was the case.

@Nemisis Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize there was a new handgun ban list out there and certain "safety" requirements had to be met. Nice competition video btw.

Here are the handguns that we are allowed to buy NEW in CA. The list is ever shrinking because manufacturers must "recertify" every year.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Makes for very depressing reading.

@mcmortison You will find widely varying gun laws throughout the USA. California, and certain large cities like New York City generally have the strictest laws. The more rural states, such as Tennessee (where I live) have the least restrictive laws. I actually have a handgun carry permit, which is good in Tennessee and any state that has a reciprocal agreement with Tennessee (total of 36 states). Most of the states that don't have the reciprocity agreement are California (of course), Hawaii, and the upper northeastern states. Strangely enough, Oregon doesn't have the agreement, yet New Hampshire does. :confused:

California has become something of a joke to most of the rest of the USA (not just because of the gun laws).

Thx. As you recommended I tryed a 1911 this Sunday at the range. I like the weight and recoil, but I don’t like the grip safety at all. Considering to buy a CZ97B (which is a CZ75 in .45ACP). Taking a 3h gunclass (Basics of Dynamic shooting) on the 17th :2charge:

Thx. As you recommended I tryed a 1911 this Sunday at the range. I like the weight and recoil, but I don’t like the grip safety at all. Considering to buy a CZ97B (which is a CZ75 in .45ACP). Taking a 3h gunclass (Basics of Dynamic shooting) on the 17th :2charge:

Did someone say 1911? ;-)

USPSA Area 1 Championship, St. George, UT

By the way, you can pin the grip safety on a 1911 to make that problem go away.

The 97B is terrific too. I just hope you have large hands because that is probably the largest grip I have ever seen on a handgun.

Last edited:
What was the dude bitching about at the very end? You have to clear and holster the gun for the timer to stop?

LOL! He is not bitching. He is giving the "unload and show clear, if clear.....hammer down and holster" set of commands. This is standard language at the end of every stage. He was actually a really nice guy.

No one walks around with a loaded gun. The Range Officer loads you up via commands at the start of the stage and then he unload you via commands at the end of the stage.

The timer stops on the last shot that it picked up (it hears gunshots). After you unload, you then go down range and assess your points. The paper targets have scoring zones that you can't really see in the video. The steel targets must all fall over to score. You then divide the points that you scored by your time in seconds and get your "hit factor" which is the number of points that you scored per second.

It is called USPSA or United States Practical Shooting Association. USPSA is a part of IPSC or International Practical Shooting Confederation. So @mcmortison could play in Switzerland.

You probably have a few USPSA clubs near you, MG. That or you could do IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) which is almost the same thing.

Now that it is winter, we even have night matches with lights and lasers.

Did someone say 1911? ;-)

The 97B is terrific too. I just hope you have large hands because that is probably the largest grip I have ever seen on a handgun.

Nice vid. I am 6' 2" with rather big Hands and from the Looks we have a similar build (counterweight for the recoil :))

Back