Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Hitler’s Flak Towers Were Anti-Aircraft Castles

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
https://medium.com/war-is-boring/hitlers-flak-towers-were-anti-aircraft-castles-4da8c423b725

What happens when you combine Nazi propaganda, brutalist architecture and practical national security problems? You get chunky, concrete buildings that last for decades as symbols of war.

Flak towers were one of the Third Reich’s answers to Allied air attacks during World War II. These absolutely massive towers sheltered anti-aircraft guns in German cities—and protected their ammunition from falling bombs.

Several of these beasts are still standing today in Germany and Austria. Huge amounts of reinforced concrete in the towers—some have walls 11-feet thick—complicated efforts to demolish them after the war.

The remaining towers pose something of a dilemma.

Do You know the White Houses near the Müritz? They were test "buildings" where a new concrete was tested to withstand any bomb or explosive of that time. If I remember me right that concrete was thought to be used for Germania and a new generation of AA-bunkers. The Russians tried to blow them away after the war but always failed success - so often they tried their luck. So they remain where they were/are. Around the area (Rechlin) where they are suited was a great proving grounds area for the Luftwaffe. Already 1916 the Germans used the place as Trainings- and Testing Area. Here a few pictures of the so called White Houses:

http://www.panoramio.com/user/947719/tags/Rechlin Ruinen Die weissen Weißen Häuser Versuchsanlagen Beton 3.Reich ww2 lost Places verlorene Orte Mecklenburg Vorpommern Germany Deutschland Trümmer Müritz

Greetings :)

@Louis: The decision wasn´t made by the germans but the soviets. They wanted to clear away all what could remind the germans on the war except it are monuments made of or for the "bravery" of the soviet forces/system. For the people in the GDR it was almost always a little victory if the occupation forces failed in such things. That hadn´t to do with NS ideas or similar - it was only because nobody likes occupants and so the occupied gained some slight hope from that.

@Nathangun: I´m not so sure there are lots of places like that. As mentioned earlier it was a secret proving grounds area and a great bunch of the inventions for Luftwaffe and Heer were made here or at least made ready for use here. If the new concrete would have been a success in time the chances are high the end of war would have taken a different way - concerning the conditions of surrendering. The Red Army overtook that area - officially because of the concrete airstrip. But it may have been more because they hoped to find some more secrets they could use.
And I´m for keep it and if it is only because the russians weren´t able to destroy it.

You know more about the building than me Sempi.
What I meant in my reply to Louis was there are many monuments in Europe, be it mass graveyards of soldiers, civilians or buildings that where used by people to the degradation of others or to but it another way, things that are a reminder of the folly of war and that it mustn't happen again.
I think we can agree there are enough monuments in Europe of the folly of war.

@ROBSILON: It is only about 600 or 700 km away from You. So if You have 6 or 7 hours to spare some time You could try Your luck. But they are very difficult to find if one don´t know exact where to look. Even the inhabitants who know where they are become fewer and fewer. But if You ask around a bit You will surly find someone who guides You there.

@Nathangun: I try to reproduce the picture via Photobucket on weekend so You can take a look if You want. The one with the mighty hole in it looks awesome. Let me know if You are interested otherwise I spare the work. ;)

@ROBSILON: It is only about 600 or 700 km away from You. So if You have 6 or 7 hours to spare some time You could try Your luck. But they are very difficult to find if one don´t know exact where to look. Even the inhabitants who know where they are become fewer and fewer. But if You ask around a bit You will surly find someone who guides You there.

@Nathangun: I try to reproduce the picture via Photobucket on weekend so You can take a look if You want. The one with the mighty hole in it looks awesome. Let me know if You are interested otherwise I spare the work. ;)

No need to dude, I'll check it out when u get home.

Back