Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Hoping for a Helping Hand (CM Multiplayer Questions)

Livedhealerman

FGM New Member
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Hey there people! a FNG here and wanted to put out all the questions I have regarding Combat Mission and see who would be willing to answer. Most of them are in regard to Multiplayer.

1. There are 2 ways to play multiplayer that I have observed in the manual and online, one through ports and internet connection, allowing for a real time engagement (this is the only experience I have had with the multiplayer and I have only had 2 games). Two email and sending turns by email for each move. It seems to me that you all play by email the majority of the time, is that true? Does anyone try to play real time? Would anyone be willing to?

2. What is the best set up for playing by email? I have attempted to learn how to do so and I haven't enjoyed it, seems like a mundane process?

3. If people do play through IP and port multiplayer, would someone like to direct me to the best way to set one up? Or possibly try to play a game with me that way? I find it quite enjoyable to play that way as I can make decisions on the fly?

4. What are some ground rules I should be aware of as far as etiquette for multiplayer?

5. Do y'all utilize discord?

6. Best way to set up a multiplayer game? (Where to post, who to message, what times?)

Thank you all!

Gday bloke,

I'm pretty new here myself but I'll try to shed some light on a few of your questions.

1. As far as I'm aware most people tend to play by email, however live games do happen if you can find an opponent in the right timezone with a few hours available. There is a discord server link on the main forum page.
I'd be happy enough to play a live game, I've got about 12 hours to burn from time of posting this.

2. I believe most people use CM Helper, it streamlines the whole emailing file business by utilising dropbox, although I don't have it setup myself just yet.

3. I guess one person would host, message their IP & Port to their opponent, who then joins up. I'll jump on the discord server and you can find me there if you like, or just send me a private message here.

4. Generally set agreed rules with your opponent before you start, things like no pre-planned artillery barrages into the other guys starting area are pretty common, or not using gamey tactics such as exploiting the map edge, or bringing a King Tiger to a company sized game, basically just try to keep things reasonably realistic. That said, arrange with your opponent, if you just want to have a full armour slugfest - have at it!

5. Discord server link on the main forum page. I'm still trying to figure out how to get it into my discord client.

6. As above.

1. There are 2 ways to play multiplayer that I have observed in the manual and online, one through ports and internet connection, allowing for a real time engagement (this is the only experience I have had with the multiplayer and I have only had 2 games). Two email and sending turns by email for each move. It seems to me that you all play by email the majority of the time, is that true? Does anyone try to play real time? Would anyone be willing to?
Yes, most people play by email (PBEM) although there is basically no email used any more: see answer to #2

2. What is the best set up for playing by email? I have attempted to learn how to do so and I haven't enjoyed it, seems like a mundane process?
Actually using email is very mundane and prone to error and frustration. Which is why no one I know of actually uses email any more. We use Dropbox. Any file sharing would work but Dropbox was going strong when the game released and now nearly everyone uses it.

So, turns are shared via the file sharing service Dropbox but that still leaves you with the manual exercise of copying files and watching for new incoming files. Way back at the beginning I wrote a tutorial on how to use MS sync. It was not easy and still left you guessing when new files came in. I started working on a turn manager but was beaten to market by CM Helper so it is the dominant program people use. I did release mine and I still maintain it "Whose Turn Is It?": https://www.lesliesoftware.com/products/WhoseTurnIsIt/index.html

3. If people do play through IP and port multiplayer, would someone like to direct me to the best way to set one up? Or possibly try to play a game with me that way? I find it quite enjoyable to play that way as I can make decisions on the fly?
I can offer nothing I have never played against an opponent via RT and never finished a game in RT mode. I hope you find someone else who can answer and perhaps play.

4. What are some ground rules I should be aware of as far as etiquette for multiplayer?
There are lots of different house rules @Stafford quoted the most common one. To me that is less important than typical good etiquette such as:
  1. Finishing what you start,
  2. Communicate issues (such as delays),
  3. Be friendly and cordial - keep the trash talk fun,
  4. Learn and offer to discuss battles afterwards

5. Do y'all utilize discord?
I don't but many do. There is a channel here that I think you can find on the home page.

6. Best way to set up a multiplayer game? (Where to post, who to message, what times?)
You are totaly in the right place for that. Post a message on TFGM and join tournaments when they are announced here. There are other places you can find opponents but you are here in one of the best right now. I suspect you can find all you need right here.

Back