Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

How the war unfolded on the eastern front

The Eastern Front always reminds me of those movie scenes where you see two guys fighting, and one beats up the other like a punching bag until you think he must be dying. Then suddenly without any real explanation, the loser jumps to his feet and beats the other guy effortlessly and wins.

Last edited:
Yeah, absolutely.

In the war between the dictatorships, Russia had the larger population to be conscripted and shoved into the cauldron.
But I think mother nature had something to do with stopping the nazi war machine too.
Napoleon's troops hit the same obstacle, watching their tin coat buttons turn to dust in the arctic conditions.

I enjoyed watching this little series because it really did a great job summarising all the operations visually.
You could really see the blitzkrieg strategy used by both sides to encircle on a grand scale.

I enjoyed watching this little series because it really did a great job summarising all the operations visually.

Definitely. Also, it gives a good overview of how quickly the war actually turned against the Germans. Based on this video series, I'd say probably the turning point was around Stalingrad.

I noticed that in this account, it says 91,000 German POW's were captured at Stalingrad.
It is only a fraction of the losses the Russians had been taking though.
I was astonished to see that encirclement of Russian troops near Kiev in the 1941 video caused 665,000 Russians to be captured!

Most of the FGM guys have probably come across this video, but posting it just in case.
An astounding number of Russians were casualties in WW2. Difficult to even imagine.

I was astonished to see that encirclement of Russian troops near Kiev in the 1941 video caused 665,000 Russians to be captured!

I'm wondering if the whole thing was planned by the Russians all along - put hordes of poorly trained soldiers out front to take the impact of the German initial advance, make them spend their ammo and supplies, while preparing and training actual fighting forces behind Moscow for the counterattack, once the Germans had extended their supply lines. The more I read about it, the stranger the traditional narrative seems that the Russians just suddenly got the upper hand.

I doubt it. Probably more to do with Stalin murdering most of the army officers before WW2 to consolidate his power.
Apparently in the early days of the war, Russian tactics and strategy were really primitive.
In CMBB (the old first generation Combat Mission) I recall you could order your Russian soldiers to do a 'human wave' attack.
Plus, the blitzkrieg tactics were still a pretty new thing. Later the Russians started doing it too. But in the early days, it was just stand and deliver - making it fairly easy for the Germans to surround them.

Eastory is probably one of the best so far. TIK and Military Visualized are also very good WWII channels.

Military History Visualised is very good. TIK is good when analysing logistics and such, but tends to leave his critical thinking behind when discussing capitalism.

Back