Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Intro

P

patu

Hey guys,

I'm a longtime Combat mission player who has been onboard with the series since CM 1 which I first played as a 12 year old.

I'm looking to finally test my tactical nous against a human opponent.

I'm very keen for a game but don't really understand the whole PBEM system. Is there not a way to play in realtime through a network connection?

Looking forward to any suggestions/advice

Cheers

Hello Patu, welcome to THE FEW GOOD MEN!
Good to have you with us! :)

Joining this community was the right decision because Combat Mission is at it's best when played head to head (H2H). ;)

PBEM means "play by e-mail" but instead of sending the turns attached to an e-mail, we use dropbox. Most players also use a programme called "CM Helper" which downloads the turns automatically from dropbox into your Combat Mission game's "incoming e-mail folder" and uploads from the "outgoing e-mail" to dropbox.
It's very easy to play: You receive a turn and watch the action (can be re-played as you know). After you've seen it enough times you hit the red button and give orders to your units as usual. When you finished your orders, you hit the red button again and a file is created.
You put this file into the dropbox where your opponent finds it, downloads it etc. ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh nice, I read the FAQ and watched a video on YouTube which made it seem easy for PC. Any tips on how to do it as a Mac and does anyone want a game on Red Thunder?

Oh nice, I read the FAQ and watched a video on YouTube which made it seem easy for PC. Any tips on how to do it as a Mac and does anyone want a game on Red Thunder?
No matter between the two systems. You can play against Windows users - no problem. :)

Would you like to play a quick battle (QB) in Red Thunder?

Welcome to the Club patu Good to have you with us plenty going on here, Here are some Links to the site just here to help you
The Few Good Men are welcoming you!....We are a friendly bunch more like Family...

You will find a lot of interesting people here, who are sharing your hobby and we are proud of being far more than just a platform for finding war-gaming opponents.

We recommend you read the following threads to get an impression of what our club is about and what it might be for you as well:

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/ladder/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/site-manual.25/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/combat-mission-x2-world-war-two.160/

If you have any questions or need some help with the site, please feel free to contact our official welcome committee members Hedgehog or Shorker. We will be happy to assist you. Just click on the names in the members list or underneath the avatar picture and then on "Start A Conversation" or reply

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'm still trying to navigate my way through things but and downloading drop box and the other associated material. I've got about 8 hours free at the moment if anyone is keen to babysit me through setting up a game etc.

Cheers

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'm still trying to navigate my way through things but and downloading drop box and the other associated material. I've got about 8 hours free at the moment if anyone is keen to babysit me through setting up a game etc.

Cheers

"Play by e-mail" is more a matter of days and weeks rather than hours, mate. ;)

OK, maybe I can help you a little:

First of all... pick an avatar, please - don't go "naked" into battle... LOL! :D

No, seriously: First think about what kind of QB (or scenario) you would like to play (attack, assault, weather conditions, time, who against who, time? etc.)
Then post your request in the CMx2 Wargaming Section.

3. When you have found an opponent, create a dropbox folder and give it a usefull name like "CMRT Patu - Shorker"

4. Start a QB with the chosen/agreed parameters and choose "2 players e-mail". Then the CM programme creates the first game file. Give that file a usefull name
like "PatuSU ShorkGER 001".

5. Put that file from your "outgoing e-mail" folder into the refering dropbox folder and then just wait for the next turn to come. :)

6. When there is a new turn in the box you just copy and safe it into your "incoming e-mails" folder (or "saved games" folder wich works as well).
Many players use "CM Helper", by the way, - a programme that does this "work" for you.

OK, what would you like to play? :cool:

Back