Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Ithikial Recreating CM1 "Operations" in CM2 Campaigns

Two new videos in the blog series. SPOILER ALERT - Talking about my thinking around unit selection, so if you want to one day go into this one blind then suggest not taking a look.
default_smile.png

Enjoy and hopefully a few ideas around things to think about for others wanting to take the plunge into the editor.

The US Army (the player's forces) is up first.

And the German Heer.

So @Ithikial and fellow FGM'ers, a question about unit organization / orders of battle / tables of organization.
Part 6 shows a difference between German Wehrmacht "grenadier" and "standard" infantry formations. Where can one find lists and descriptions of scenario editor unit compositions in Combat Mission games? Is there a way to quickly compare different units within a nationality against each other? Specifically; numbers of men, weapons, equipment, and so forth? Thank you.

Hi Ithikial,

I just noticed this thread/your project/videos and I am very impressed by what you are doing and trying to achieve. The videos discussing map design/techniques/flavour objects etc are a must watch for any scenario/map designer out there. I really was impressed by how you created those "enhanced hedgrerows" and I wonder how much those kinds of hedgerows would affect things in other bocage maps that used more of the plain vanilla variety. Have you done any testing with them to say determine if (and how much) they might give defenders lined up behind them more protection/concealment to plain vanilla hedgreows or is it primarily for looks only?

I also think it's great that you are trying to innovate the CMx2 campaign system to create a CMx1-esque operation experience. I did like the CMx1 operations and would have liked to see the concept continued and built upon in CMx2. I first saw the concept of introducing a branching narrative with "decisions" within the context of a CMx2 campaign in the brilliantly designed CMBN campaign "Devil's Descent" by Field Marshal Blucher, and just like you, saw it as a source of inspiration that I hoped could be built upon so it is great to see you are trying to build on that.

Given it's been a while since any update has been posted here, what is the status of this project?

Bull

Given it's been a while since any update has been posted here, what is the status of this project?

Bull
Hey Bull,

Fell away after RL work pressures and now creating scenarios for other purposes. :) There was also another member of the community dabbling in the Cobra/St Lo space around that time and was bound to beat me to it so dropped the work. The map was completed and released but got lost when Bootie shut the "Prooving Grounds" website. Find a copy attached.

I haven't given up on the concept but I think doing something in CMSF2 is a better bet for now. Essentially I'm slowly mapping out the ARMA Community Sangin map and then thinking of following a US air landing force clearing out the map of unconventional forces over a few days. Sort of like what we saw in Afghanistan to some extent. A ways off yet so don't hold your breath. :p

Attachments

• Le Carillon Strongpoint Test Map.zip
    150.1 KB · Views: 9
Don't you hate just RL work pressures?! It is good that you have been able to release the map as you obviously spent many hours putting it together. Thanks for that. I am a huge fan of well researched and crafted historical CM maps. I think my thinking goes along the lines of "if the map is historical/realistic, then the combat/engagement is more likely to play out realistically".

I did see your "Ithikial's Long List of Scenario Design Projects" post and you certainly have some great ideas. I don't have CMSF2 but it would be real cool to see how converting an ArmA map to CM will play out.

Cheers

Bull

Back