Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Josey Wales CM Vids

@Josey Wales It's fantabulous to see you back on these crazy boards and it's ABSO-BLOODY MARVELLOUS to see you posting vids again.

Just a heads up to one and all - This man is (partly) responsible for my presence in this place - the FGM not Earth ( someone/something else is responsible for that :) ) - Joseys vids were the main/final tipping point for getting me into Combat mission. So it's ALL his fault.

( @Josey Wales - Don't run away you're too good to be chased out by an idiot.....)

Wow that caused a DEEP dive into my YouTube History (It's scary some of the stuff I found - who knew he was that into Little Mix)

I was not aware of this @Zinzan, I had assumed you'd been around here for an age before I started making vids.

(Anyways) I joined the FGM in 2015 a coupe of months after getting into playing Combat Mission (rather than just owning it) which was triggered by watching your vid series AAR Hill 1209 though I think you tie with JohnsyFGM (Sorry for formatting cockups)

Hey @Josey Wales good to see your back! I think you did an AAR for my CMFI Bear Claws scenario a few years back. I've been looking for an opponent to playtest a scenario for the H2H Testing forum here. We'll get a FGM ribbon for playtesting something too, no ladder. Of course you can create a video/AAR if you want to, but don't feel like you have to. I still love this AAR of me attacking as the Germans against @Concord in @Nathangun Bulge cam.

Haven't decided what scenario/game to play yet!

I see there has been some criticism on the youtube comment section about why I did not simply attack along the railroad instead of a direct assault on the gas works. I don't really want to comment there. But in case anyone in this thread is wondering why I didn't go up the left flank:
  • It would turn a short crossing of deadly ground into a very long crossing.
  • It would turn a short range firefight into long range. The US infantry fights better up close.
  • It would change the fight from a closed area into an open one - more difficult to manage for an attacker.
  • It would let JW use his mortars and AFVs in keyhole positions against my troops in the open.
  • Even if I made it to the objective, I'd be back where I started: having to attack over open ground against a factory, but this time without a stable base of fire.
  • Finally, I didn't have the hindsight to know that the objective was actually not heavily defended.
To sum up, it's possible that it might have worked to go up the railroad. But it would not have been the cakewalk an armchair general might imagine.

@Bulletpoint I completely agree with your assessment and believe the criticism on my channel towards your strategy being 'a major tactical mistake' to be wholly incorrect.

As far as overall strategies are concerned, my own relied on a dangerous gamble which ultimately failed and played a significant part in my defeat. If anyone deserves criticism in this battle for poor tactical choices it is well and truly myself.

As far as overall strategies are concerned, my own relied on a dangerous gamble which ultimately failed and played a significant part in my defeat. If anyone deserves criticism in this battle for poor tactical choices it is well and truly myself.

I believe nobody deserves criticism for playing a friendly competitive game, as long as they do their best and have fun doing it. The real mistake is assuming one can avoid making mistakes ...

I believe nobody deserves criticism for playing a friendly competitive game, as long as they do their best and have fun doing it. The real mistake is assuming one can avoid making mistakes ...

Agreed. I tend to show my mistakes as well as my triumphs in my vids and this of course leaves me and my opponent open to criticism, however the vast vast majority of critical comments I have received have come from a place of genuine respect and have helped me analyse and improve my game. I welcome this type of criticism.

I see there has been some criticism on the youtube comment section about why I did not simply attack along the railroad instead of a direct assault on the gas works. I don't really want to comment there. But in case anyone in this thread is wondering why I didn't go up the left flank:
  • It would turn a short range firefight into long range. The US infantry fights better up close.
  • It would change the fight from a closed area into an open one - more difficult to manage for an attacker.
  • It would let JW use his mortars and AFVs in keyhole positions against my troops in the open.
  • Even if I made it to the objective, I'd be back where I started: having to attack over open ground against a factory, but this time without a stable base of fire.
  • Finally, I didn't have the hindsight to know that the objective was actually not heavily defended.
To sum up, it's possible that it might have worked to go up the railroad. But it would not have been the cakewalk an armchair general might imagine.

It's always interesting to hear assessments from the battle commander "who was there" "with boots on the ground". It is fascinating for me to learn how both opposing commanders each viewed the battlefield and determined what choices to make. Kudos to both of you.
Can't wait for more. :2charge:

Its an obvious line of attack. I stormed up that flank in a quick battle on the same map against @Buckykatt and it cost me dearly. Even though I controlled the open ground with an AT Gun and an M36, his Arty and the flanking fire from the right did a lot of damage. I managed to contest the objective with the remains of a shattered company but I do not think it was worth it.

Agreed. I tend to show my mistakes as well as my triumphs in my vids and this of course leaves me and my opponent open to criticism, however the vast vast majority of critical comments I have received have come from a place of genuine respect and have helped me analyse and improve my game. I welcome this type of criticism.

@Josey Wales how is anyone supposed to play against you if it's impossible to dislike you? You just showed a lot of class. Damn.

The other day I heard the Beastie Boys' track Sabotage which I haven't heard for years and I thought to myself 'that would be a good accompanying track to a Shock Force 2 montage'. So I took some inspiration from the track's video and put this together. See what you think.

Back