Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Kind of grief coping

M

mcmortison

Yesterday, at 5.25pm, my beloved englisch Bulldog "Rusty" had to be put down due to a stroke. He died peacefully in my arms when the leathal injection was given to him.

For more then 9 years he was part of my life (almost as long as I am married).

The last few weeks his health was breaking down, and the pain I felt in this weeks was far worse then what I feel now. Then I felt helpless (not knowing if he is in pain or not, if I do everything right) now I fell a mix of grief and relief that he wont suffer and pride that I had the strength to stay at his side at his last Moment.

Like all my dogs Rusty was from a rescue programm and it was love on first bite (when I came to pick him up, they opend the door of his kennel and he ran out, grabed my shoe and I knew this is the one dog for me).

Rest in peace my friend, I do miss you.

6604lc3_20.jpg

20130908_184501.jpg

DSCN2620.jpg

Yes, indeed. In May Emma (my French Bulldog) passed away.

So far 2018 sucks really bad.

We lost 4 Family members so far (2 human, 2 Dogs) and a good friend of mine is terminal ill. He was dignosed with Cancer.

The last act of a responsible loving pet owner is always the hardest and never gets easier. You were there with them till the end and did the right thing at the right time. In time you will be ready to rescue another best friend as there are always so many waiting for a forever home.

We've had three rescue dogs pass away from us. Rescue's four and five are still with us but aging. As @sspoom already said, pet ownership is as much responsibility as it is joy. What @Bootie found shown here three months ago still says it best.

bTL7rmz.jpg

Sorry for your loss.
As a dog owner for more than twenty years I have felt the pain myself, more than once.

Hopefully you can see the happy side as I'm sure Rusty has had a great life, and you have brought each other many enjoyable memories along the way.

Steve

Condolences to You mcmortison! I´m sure You did all what one could do. But I know exactly how You feel. It was the same as we lost our loved "Goldhund" (Golden Dog). Nicknamed so since he was such a lovely and charming creature. All our animals are rescued. That´s a habit/tradition for us. And they are always so thankful. Humans of these days could learn much from them.

Greetings

I am very sorry to hear that 2018 has brought so many bad events and bad news to you. My condolences, Sven.

Es tut mir sehr leid zu hören, dass das Jahr 2018 für Dich so viele schlimme Ereignisse und Nachrichten bereit gehalten hat. Mein aufrichtiges Beileid, Sven.

There are very few things that I've found emotionally harder to do than to put one's dog down. Unfortunately, I've had to do it several times and it seems it just got harder every time.
I'm not physically able to take care of a pet any longer and I really miss having a little barker around the house, but that does have an upside.

Had to put my 14-year-old dog Rexanne down two days ago. Neurolepsy and blood cancer was killing her. She couldn't walk and wasn't eating. Beautiful, smart companion, a rescue dog. Picked my wife at adoption. Big loss, especially for my soon to be 17-year-old dog Daisy, who keeps wandering around looking for her "sister".

Back