Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Kind of grief coping

My wife (God bless her for beeing such a good Soul) had a suprise for me when I came home this week.

She was in contact with the animal shelter we Support and when I come home from work I now am greeted by:

Yuna, 3 years old (dumbed by the breeder)

20180909_215123.jpg

Kieran, 9 month old (rescude from a hungarian dead Station)

20180930_193550.jpg

I am a sort of happy and sad at the same time. I really love what my wife did, but at the same time I feel like I am not ready for a new dog yet.

My wife told me, that I changed a lot since Rusty died. She told me that she want to see me smile again (what I am doing much more now) - I guess I needed a duty/task/mission to function.

Time to dig out this old thread again :(.

Back in 2010 when I bought Rusty (my Englisch Bulldog that died in August 2018) my wife wanted a dog for herself aswell (this is more of a simbolic differentiation, we both love our dogs alike, Janett only prefers French Bulldogs over Englisch Bulldogs) we also took in a rescue puppy from a dog breeding factury.

Amy:

At first we werent sure if she will make it or not. She was way to young to be sepperated from her Mom.

With lots of love and a dam good vet she made it over the critical phase.

When she was nearly one year old she was diagnosed with cancer in the trachea and had to undergo surgery. After cutting out the tumor they had to make a tracheostomy
and told us she only will live until age 4 or 5.

They did not know that this little dog has fighting spirit that would make a Marine proud.

This March we celebrated her ninth birthday :) .

But sadly breathing over a tracheostomy made her vulnerable to all sorts of bacteria and the last 5 years she had all kind of infections. For the last two years she has been on antibiotics for 4 weeks, off for 2 and back on a new one as the bacteria came back with resistance.

Until now she had a good life - despite all what she went true. But sadly the results from the lab showed that there is no more antibiotica that can "kill" the infection she now has.

Tomorrow my wife and I will talk with the vet to make an appointment for leting her be euthanized.

We will not let her suffer.

I know its the right thing to do, still I feel like I having a rock crushing my chest.

It just never, ever, gets easier.

As a dog owner for more than twenty years, I agree - it doesn't, but it also brings many happy memories and rewarding times that you'll never forget - plus - it doesn't usually stop you having another pet afterwards.

Feel for ya mate.

Steve.

It just never, ever, gets easier.
And that's good. Makes one appreciate the pet much more.

Today, at 10.30am, Amy went over the rainbow bridge. I am positive that Rusty and Emma wer waiting on the other side for her.

Rest in peace Amy, I love and miss u.

Back