Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Links - websites for tactics and strategy

W

Will S

Battle Drill - Great site put together by Bil Hardenberger. Has detailed tactical info on principles of combat. Focuses on tactics and strategy and not on game software details, although there are some very nice examples on how to implement tactics using game commands. Info broken down into many very specific topics. Explore and learn.

Lethal's CM tactical site - Lethal has posted this in the forum previously, although it eventually gets lost in the chatter. Another very good source focusing on combat tactics. This site overlaps on a lot with Bil Hardenbergrs and also has some very good info unique to itself.

Combat Mission Wiki - Not as thorough as the above two sites, but has some good information none the less. Community supported and authored so the info is as good and detailed as the person who wrote it. Has some basic tactical combat info as well as more specific info into game software and related tactics. Provides some good links for scenario/map designers.

Don't forget the CM game manuals have some really useful information and can be great assets.

Just my opinion here, but I think it would be nice if this thread was kept as a clearinghouse for links only. Discussion of each and every tactic, strategy, and approach is most definitely encouraged, but would be best done in a separate and specific thread. This would allow for easier searching in the future when someone is looking for advice/research on a certain tactic, as well as keeping this thread from getting bogged down with discussion about the tactics discussed in the provided links. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bil has some great stuff, but I find he's best about the abstract thinking behind the tactics, and not so helpful when it comes to actually carrying out those ideas with the tools available in the game.

For example he has a tutorial about how to move infantry using a complicated system of short MOVE and HUNT commands, interspersed with various pause commands. I believe using this in the game is questionable at best.

But his other ideas are extremely useful and definitely worth studying and thinking about in detail. Especially the concept of good and bad "match ups".

Last edited:
I actually played a game with Bil once. We did dual DARs on the BFC forum. My fifteen minutes of fame.

Hmmm I wonder if I read that AAR?

EDIT: You're called Doug Williams on the official forums? I did read that then.

Last edited:
Back