Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Loading times

P

PJMaybe

I've seen lots of posts around about loading times but it usually gets put down to hardware and I don't think that the problem here. My loading times for Normandy are typically 4-6 mins depending on size of battle, but Thunder and Italy load in 1-2 mins. They are all in c:/windows/programs/battlefront so I don't really understand why Normandy takes so much longer. The only difference I see is that the game files for Thunder and Italy are in the Documents folder but they are still on the C drive, right?

Does Normandy take longer for everyone? I'd really like to try fix it.

PJ, I presume you mean loading a previously saved game.

For me, its all dependent on the size of the battle. I would expect BN may take longer as it has more content with all the expansions but I haven't noticed any significant difference between any of the titles.

Only have 3 files in z - wav music mods. Tried loading a game on a huge map but with just an observer team on each side and still took >5min. A tiny map was quick so it must be map size. Settings are at fastest, it made about 1min quicker but settings are high on FI and RT. I think I might just try a reinstall.

Many people have investigated mods and their effect on load times. The conclusion is minimal - less that 10%. I suppose it is possible that a problem with a mod file could lead to a slow down so it is probably worth temporarily removing the mods to check.

I do not see a noticeable difference in load times between games. I have not put a stop watch on it but I am certainly not seeing 4 min vs 2 min if there is any difference at all. Load time definitely does depend on the size of the scenario.

Are your documents folders stored on a different drive than the games? Does that mean the CMBN game files are on a different drive?

What about anti virus? Is it turned off for some game folders but not others?

Does anyone know if there is a way to "Alt+Tab" out of the loading screen so that it loads in the background (Windows Vista)?

You can alt tab out. Make sure have another window open to bring to the front (even H2HH) then you can go to the task bar and view desktop.

Sorry not Vista, Windows 7 here.

You can alt tab out. Make sure have another window open to bring to the front (even H2HH) then you can go to the task bar and view desktop.

Thanks. Didn't work.

If that doesn't work try <ctrl><alt><del> and then cancel - then <alt><tab> will work.

Thanks. This worked. ;)

i have BS SF2 and FI and FI loads much faster.

i find that opening task manger -> details -> set priority to 'realtime' helps

Back