Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

London Preparing for War

Not knowing what an Anderson Shelter I did some looking up.....
(Learn something new everyday around here ;) )

On 25 February 1939, the first Anderson shelter was erected in Britain in a garden in Islington, London.

Anderson shelters were half buried in the ground with earth heaped on top to protect people from bomb blasts during World War Two.

sE8KUj6.png

2mhfSZ2.png

They were made from six corrugated iron sheets bolted together at the top, with steel plates at either end, and measured 6ft 6in by 4ft 6in (1.95m by 1.35m). The entrance was protected by a steel shield and an earthen blast wall.

G5Eta2J.png

Last edited:
Not knowing what an Anderson Shelter I did some looking up.....
(Lear something new everyday around here ;) )

On 25 February 1939, the first Anderson shelter was erected in Britain in a garden in Islington, London.

Anderson shelters were half buried in the ground with earth heaped on top to protect people from bomb blasts during World War Two.

sE8KUj6.png

2mhfSZ2.png

They were made from six corrugated iron sheets bolted together at the top, with steel plates at either end, and measured 6ft 6in by 4ft 6in (1.95m by 1.35m). The entrance was protected by a steel shield and an earthen blast wall.

G5Eta2J.png
Islington was my neck of the woods ..... Good pictures Ted

I was jokingly going to ask if one of the young lads in the middle of the picture you?
Turns out maybe it would not have been so much of a joke eh? :)

Did you have one of those in your yard Ted?

I was jokingly going to ask if one of the young lads in the middle of the picture you?
Turns out maybe it would not have been so much of a joke eh? :)

Did you have one of those in your yard Ted?
Yes we we did exactly the same, in fact that does look very much like our yard ....the entrance on our one was facing the brick wall, My old Dad grew tomatoes on the top as the shelter was covered over with earth

Great thinking on your Dads part.
I mean, here is some freshly tilled earth why not plant something you can enjoy later.
And I would imagine in the times of rationing tomatoes would have been a good treat.

I remember in the early 1960's we had air raid drills.
We knew in advance what day they were going to happen.
The fire sirens would go off and us kids would have to run home to our parents and go inside until it was over.

Of course these drills were in case of nuclear attack so I don't think it would have made much of a difference. ;)

Back