Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Lonsdale's Block

W

Will S

Jaskier and I had so much fun with the Meyhem we are going at it again. This time "Lonsdale's Block" scenario from the Market Garden attachment to CMBN.

He has the German horde in his control and I am commanding a contingent of Brits. Looks like it might be an infantry-heavy slugfest. Decentralized village amongest a spiderweb of roads including some thicker areas of trees and shruberies.

Played this for the Blitz Scenario of the Month programme a while ago. Good fun scenario - with LOTS of options, challenges and opportunities - I enjoyed it. can you tell.

Have fun with it would be interested to see what others think.

Well this one ended when we both felt the game had become so ridiculous that it was no longer enjoyable. There was still over 30 mins left when we called it. Gonna try to not give any big spoilers in the review and I will shy away from specifics, but in writing about these games it's hard not to give away something of potential value, so know that.

I'm not against an uphill fight but this one wasn't worth it. I believe that since this is a game, then both sides should have a chance of winning and have weapons that are capable of countering their opponents. Doesn't mean that the forces need to be "equal" or fully "balanced" but they should be competitive. I do not feel this was a competitive scenario.

If you enjoy playing crowded unbalanced scenarios then Lonsdales Block would be just right for you!

* Potential small spoilers or info advantages might be contained in the following paragraph: *

This was a medium/small map with a huge force. Over 1000 troops between the two sides made for an overly crowded map, so there wasn't really any room (or need) for maneuvering and no real decisions had to be made by commanders on where to best use their force, because they could blanket the map in depth with no worry. Between the two sides German force was incredibly superior, not only in infantry numbers but in armor, mortars, and other longer range weapons. Brit forces had very little if anything to counter the German firepower, just the usual pea shooter PIATS and 51mm mortars that proved ineffective against the long range domination and superior numbers of the German side. The few low caliber AT guns and infantry guns the Brits had were easily targeted and KO'd before they had much chance to do anything. These type of weapons are mostly useless in a meeting engagement anyway, and barely got setup before they had mortar rounds raining down upon them.

As per usual meeting engagement style it was a bum rush to the middle of the map and then a stalemate slugfest along the line where forces meet. Brits could hold off German infantry to a degree but only in a purely defensive setup if their positions were fully obscured from German mortars and armor. Brits had no weapons capable of effectively pounding the buildings occupied by Germans or supporting an advance, so any assault attempt was easily repulsed.

I'd say the German commander in this one would have to make some very big mistakes to lose. Brits could maybe hold for a draw if they fought their arse off. But neither of us found it enjoyable enough to get that far.

Too many troops on German side, too strong armor reinforcement . It's very easy to get LOS on Brit assets and shell them. Very unbalanced scenario and we decided to end it around 30 min in. It's really not fun to shell enemy without fear of retaliation (still, Will S infantry pushed my Germans back when I attempted some probing on both flanks)

Back