Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Looking for CMBN match - break this new member in!

D

Def

Looking for a meeting engagement QB medium to large in size. I have both Commonwealth and MG modules installed.

I'm very new to this way of playing CM, but I think Dropbox and CMhelper are good to go. I'd like to play as the Americans, but I can do any army.

Oh yeah, what does a "mirror" game mean?

<snipped>
Oh yeah, what does a "mirror" game mean?

@Def - a "mirror" match is when you play the same H2H game (QB or scenario) twice against the same opponent as both sides. For example, let's suppose you want to "mirror" a Quick Battle (QB) against me that is a MEDIUM Meeting Engagement of Luftwaffe vs Canadians on map "Asslt Large Open QB-210". I would play Game-1 as the Luftwaffe against you as the Canadians. I would start Game-2 as the Canadians against you as the Luftwaffe; same choice of forces, same force options, same selection points, same map, same battle viewed two ways; one as as if a mirror image of the other. How you spend your points for the forces you actually pick for each game are the only thing unknown to your opponent.

Mirror matches can be played two ways (of course . . . :cool:!). One way is to play the two matches "consecutively" meaning we play Game-1 by itself, then play Game-2 immediately after Game-1 is finished. The second way is to play both matches "simultaneously", matching game turn for game turn for both matches together. Mirror matches let opponents "even the playing" field as it were and apply lessons learned playing one side immediately for playing the other.

I've only played two FGM mirror matches; the first was sequential, the second concurrent. Both ways are great fun but I found the concurrent match to be more exciting and feel more tense.

Good question. Glad you asked. I'm sure other FGM members will help explain further as well.

Reactions: Def
Basically it's a way to avoid unbalanced games, useful when you play for a competition ladder, one can not say "I lost because i had the losing side" :)

Reactions: Def
I very much enjoy mirror games. As others mentioned, it is a way to keep the complaining about "your side had all the advantages" down, but my favorite thing about mirror games is not that.

I really enjoy seeing how two players take the same map, same terrain and go about attacking and defending that terrain in their own way with their own unique selection of forces. As Badger mentioned, for some people it might be a way to apply lessons learned in immediate ways, but I usually find my opponents strategy and tactics to be so much different from mine, that I gain more knowledge for future battles on different maps than I do for the opposing half of a mirrored game. Playing mirror games also forces me to look at the map in two different ways, which I think it very helpful.

More commitment and time involved but I think the reward is well worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can give you a go Def, although I'm not that interested in a meeting engagement.

Interested in an attack/defend setup? You can play Americans, or of course a mirror game since you have been learned on what they are now.

Yeah sure, I'm down for a consecutive, mirrored attack/defense match. I'd prefer to be attacking first, though.

Usually, match details are discussed in PM's right? I'll send you one later, since I gotta get to uni now.

I'll look for your PM. If you want to play mirrored, we can play both games at the same time, otherwise we can just set up a single game.

Back