Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

LOS and real LOS difference

Panzer_Freak

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I have found a strange thing with this game, at first I thought that I had not understood the LOS tool properly but now I have tested it and something is really strange. I did a experiment where I advanced NE --> SW towards the road crossing Rue de Poteau/Rue de la Croix at the Aachen map (starting the advance 400 meters from the road crossing). I placed three squads of german squads in a building which has a little bric wall in front of it facing SW --> NE from the road crossing Rue de Poteau/Rue de la Croix (the big road crossing 100 - 150 meters south of Min VP Nikolas Kirche). The bric wall covers the first level at the building but not the three other levels above. First I ran up with a tank and a platoon leader on top of it. The tank could not engange the three german squads (the manual command "Target" does not work because the LOS-tool says there is no LOS), but the three german squads fired upon the platoon leader on top of the tank. I hade to close the distance with at least 50-100 meters and then suddenly the tank could fire at the levels above the bric wall, but when I want to use the command "Target" after supressing the germans the LOS-tool ones again says "No line of sights". I could give the command "Target" with my infantry squads which i brought up to test if the same problem affects infantry, but they had no problem to manually Target the hig. This has to be a bug or something?

The LOS tool tells me that there is no line of sight towards the levels above the bric wall, but the real LOS when I watch from the tank tells me othervise, even more strange is that infantry who are lower down then the turret can engange with help of the command "Target" with no problem. I have experienced this before and not only in urban combat, the difference between the games "LOS" and the real LOS (with tanks) when I have played single player, it is annoying when u manouvers to a position with a tank and then it can not engage. Infantry seems not to have this problem. I have not any recording tool, but try it out your self and you'll notice this very strange thing. A 1.80 cm bric wall does NOT cover a window that is 4 meters up and it is really strange that there is a difference between tanks and infantry when they stand at the same place.

Any one else who has experienced this?

Is there any place where one can report this odd things so that the game makers can fix this?

I am not 100% sure based on only written description but it sounds like this: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/111561-targeting-with-tanks-in-an-urban-envionment/?hl=+urban++action++square

There is a section "Targeting Buildings" in the FAQ that has several threads about this for further reading: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/125783-the-cm2-faq-thread/

The up shot is this is a limitation of the engine that we all have to get used to.

Ok, then it is not much to do. At least it is a known problem and I hope more people are aware of it, also it is the same problem for both sides.

Ok, then it is not much to do. At least it is a known problem and I hope more people are aware of it, also it is the same problem for both sides.

Yep, that's the spirit. I harped on it for a while until I got an explanation (as you can read in those threads). Then I let sleeping dogs lie. Now that I'm in the testing team I bring it up every now and then - "will this work on XYZ help with the area targeting of building faces". That keeps it on the radar. Plenty of ideas to improve have been dicussed and sadly dismissed as not workable.

Ve
Yep, that's the spirit. I harped on it for a while until I got an explanation (as you can read in those threads). Then I let sleeping dogs lie. Now that I'm in the testing team I bring it up every now and then - "will this work on XYZ help with the area targeting of building faces". That keeps it on the radar. Plenty of ideas to improve have been dicussed and sadly dismissed as not workable.

Very good, I really like this game - it is the most realistic game so far and I am impressed that efforts are made to do it even better. I will suggest for my officer friends to buy this game, I am sure some of them will love it.

One of the strengths of this Glorious game of Battlefront's is this uncertainty for us as commanders.

(In the WW2 era only:) Our PBI and Tankers in Ronson's and other tin-cans are primarily conscripts with variable training, poor to outstanding leadership - from a poorly understood selection system - often exhausted from being close to the frontlines, under threat up to 10 miles from the front, with the chance of air attack when conducting major movement, scared for their families at home and stiffened by a small sprinkling of veterans (survivors of several YEARS of fighting, with all the psychological scarring that brings). Supported by rudimentary experimental close air support, much arty learning on the job and new technology being used without testing or much analysis of it's tactical usage. Add in the not-so-minor matter of all this being supported by ENTIRE National economies running on a war footing. Nothing since has come close to this level of complexity on the battlefield since 1945. (Assumptions made by experience of modern-ish warfare - either viewed or experienced - and/or writing can lead to VERY different views of typical WW2 fighting).

Add-In : Different periods of the war and fronts were also radically different in all of the above. The quality of your nations intelligence gathering, strategic planning, operational efficiency, political plotting and diplomatic issues greatly affected day-to-day operations at all levels.

Battlefront portrays this through it's tactical AI combined with the in-game settings for individual troops (eg. Fitness, Experience, etc,.....). This means your troops make mistakes, through a whole load of reasons even before we take terrain into account. I'm not going down that rabbit hole or this is going to get LOOOONG (and even more boring).

However having TRIGGERED several points for discussion I'm gonna run away and hope no-one ever reads this.... Toodle-pip.... chin-chin.... etc

(I'M SORRY :cry:)

But this is not an example of that. The building targeting issues are simply an engine limitation.

Sorry, so sorry, soooooo SORRRRRRY!!! :D (Shit :runner: )

Earth to @Bulletpoint & @Panzer_Freak I'm not the most reliable of posters as any experienced members of these boards can testify, so I believe I've possibly conflated several threads across various CM/Games boards, social media etc with some thoughts I've been having in my less chaotic time. Despite that I believe my post was well-meant/relevant-ish and I dare to suggest interesting.... (Wowsa, BURN!!!)

If you believe the above is passsive-aggressive shite be aware that I am famous amongst colleagues/friends & family for my lack of social skills and a very serious problem with even recognising tact, hints and "polite requests" or reading social interactions on the personal level. OTOH I am also known amongst employers, friends etc, etc...for my analytical operational and strategic/political implications of current affairs and willingness to stick me oar in with broad statements well above my pay-grade. In reality I'm not great, but enough of my off-beat/"officially weird"/random ideas pan out I'm tolerated above and beyond. (It's one of the reasons he's still employed :cool: )

My 45-year interest in military strategy and the politics that lead to Wars, Operations, Equipment, Strategy, Supplies, Training, Logistics, Medical support decisions that have an absolute and often fatal affect on the day-to-day lives of troops, sailors and fly-boys, (wow long sentence - probably winding down) inform me in the force of personalities, mores, vices and networks on day to day survival.

OK Done now, (sorry if he gave offence)

Sorry, so sorry, soooooo SORRRRRRY!!! :D(Shit :runner: )

Earth to @Bulletpoint & @Panzer_Freak I'm not the most reliable of posters as any experienced members of these boards can testify, so I believe I've possibly conflated several threads across various CM/Games boards, social media etc with some thoughts I've been having in my less chaotic time. Despite that I believe my post was well-meant/relevant-ish and I dare to suggest interesting.... (Wowsa, BURN!!!)

If you believe the above is passsive-aggressive shite be aware that I am famous amongst colleagues/friends & family for my lack of social skills and a very serious problem with even recognising tact, hints and "polite requests" or reading social interactions on the personal level. OTOH I am also known amongst employers, friends etc, etc...for my analytical operational and strategic/political implications of current affairs and willingness to stick me oar in with broad statements well above my pay-grade. In reality I'm not great, but enough of my off-beat/"officially weird"/random ideas pan out I'm tolerated above and beyond. (It's one of the reasons he's still employed :cool: )

My 45-year interest in military strategy and the politics that lead to Wars, Operations, Equipment, Strategy, Supplies, Training, Logistics, Medical support decisions that have an absolute and often fatal affect on the day-to-day lives of troops, sailors and fly-boys, (wow long sentence - probably winding down) inform me in the force of personalities, mores, vices and networks on day to day survival.

OK Done now, (sorry if he gave offence)

No worries, but maybe you drink too much coffee :)

Back