Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Lt. Gilbert Edwards - Canadian Army, Sept. 11, 1917

D

Diane Edwards

Lte. Gilbert Edwards Aug 29, 1881 to Sept 11 1917 in Bethune, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France
WWI he was killed in action near Loos in France.
Gilbert Edwards.jpg

Gilbert Edwards was my 1st cousin twice removed, he was born near the hamlet called Zion, on the 4th Line, in Hope Twp., near the town of Port Hope, Ontario, Canada. He grew up their on his Grandfathers farm, (my Great Great GrandFather's farm) He was involved in local politics and was a drover. He joined the Canadian Army in about 1912, and attended Military School and was with the 46th Regiment of the Royal Canadian Army. He went to England at the start of WWI, March 24th 1915, were he served with the British, as Capt. Gilbert Edwards, and went to France, with the British on a training fact finding mission, returning to England to train troops. Gilbert later felt the pressure to engage in battle, as others from Canada were doing and took the reduced title of Lte. and headed into battle with the Canadian 2nd Battalion. Were he was killed in action in Sept. 11th 1917. He was recommended for the Military Cross after his death, "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in leading a bombing party against the enemy, who with the aid of flammenwerfers, had gained a footing in a critical part of the trench. He succeeded in driving them out and restored the position." L.G. 30561/ 7.3.18 Gilbert Edwards Military Cross recommendation 1917.jpg

Gilbert Edwards notice in the Toronto Star Oct. 18, 1917 the date is one day different that the official date of death and Newcastle is a town near where he lived as well.
Gilbert Edwards mention in the Toronto Star Oct. 18, 1917.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I edited the data to explain more...
Just getting use to this. Thanks for your patience.

Back