Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

M18 Hellcat, the sports car of WW2 tank destroyers

The US didn't play that game at all and basically thought that as the Sherman could pretty much be taken out by anything 75mm and up, then the idea of not up armouring the TD's as they will be going up against tanks with 75mm and up , that even if they were armoured they would still be taken out, is in my mind simply genius.
The 75mm vs the 76mm/dedicated AT guns, that's certainly another whole discussion. The Americans obviously had their doctrine going into the combat and tweaked it on the ground then they needed to, However the US armour's reluctance to take Shermans with more than the 75mm was an outlier in this regard. The understanding from the tanker on the ground I can understand, they are mostly fighting German infantry forces and the 75mm was doing good work. Some desk jockey comes along concerned telling you to take 76mm Shermans that have a lower HE charge, you'd obivously tell him to go to hell.

When researching Arracout I bumped into this first hand. It's right at that point in the campaign that the US Armored Divisions were under pressure to switch over to having a much higher proportion of 76mm Sherman varients. The losses the US sustained in Normandy had the US brass scared of German armour (finally) and were putting the pressure on. The 4th Armored was certainly one of those Divisions opposed and by the time they went into their September operation the whole division only had 20 76mm Shermans scattered across the Division. Working out which Battalions received them is a bit of a logical step by step exercise as the team couldn't find any hard paperwork stating where they went. Abrams's 37th Tank Battlaion probably only had two 76mm Shermans. I understand the 8th lost far more tanks in Normandy and Brittany than the 37th so probably got the most as the September replacements came through. Even after Arracourt, when the 37th Battlaion had fended off a concentrated attack from dozens of Panthers there was still resentment around giving up the 75mm Shermans. Abrams had to be ordered to take a 76mm Sherman to inspire his men to follow suit. Despite this on the ground protest however Zaloga did some digging in the archives and highlights that by the end of the war most of the Armored Divisions did have a serious complement of 76mm Shermans, in some cases out-proportioning the 75mm Shermans available. Realities finally struck home for the tankers on the ground around the time of Bulge. Not to mention The US 2nd Armored getting a pasting at the Battle of Puffendorf in November 1944.

As for the Germans, I think their race to uparmour and up-gun thier Panzer forces was more out of necessity. Limited natural resources that were under threat (Iron from Sweden for instance) would of been a massive concern from the get go. Not to mention the lions share of their commitment was holidng back the Soviet juggernaut... which generally liked building big things in great numbers. :D If they didn't beef up their Panzers compared to what they went into Russia with in 1941 it would of been a much shorter war. I don't think they were paying as much attention to the Western Allies when it came to deciding on final design decisions at least in tanks. Armour heading west with Zimmerit coatings when none of the Western Allies used magnetic mines is quick example. The problem with the Germans was they designed to many different versions of vehicles and weapons. Great for wargamers, utter hell for the logistics arms of the Wehrmacht.

And that's just a 75mm TD gun!
76mm ;)

I was mislead by the vid opening screen shot?
Haven't watched the vid. Maybe they mounted a different fun onto the vehicle in a resotration?

So why is the 76mm so superior to the 75mm. After all what's in a millimeter?
The 1mm difference only reflects the diameter of the shell. The length and weight of the shell/projectile was far greater. Wiki reckons 6 kg for a 75mm AP shell vs 10kg for a 76mm shell. Also the 76mm guns themselves had a far greater muzzle velocity. The 76mm projectile had a greater mass and is moving faster than the 75mm alternative when it leaves the tube. It comes down to physics - ie. it's going to punch through a lot more before coming to a halt. Traveling faster also means it can travel longer distances while bleeding velocity so therefore can still puncture through higher armour levels at longer rangers compared to the 75mm alternative which started at a slower velocity.<- I failed physics at high school but I think I got that right.* :D

Scroll down for the armour penetration tables.
The gun on the Hellcat:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/76_mm_gun_M1

The gun on the Grant/Lee/Sherman:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/75_mm_Gun_M2/M3/M6

* I argued with the science teacher and couldn't get my head around the maths formulas to work out speed/distance etc. Apparently saying a ball will roll down a hill if placed at the top is not a good enough answer on a written test. Also calling Physics "the study of the obvious" doesn't earn you any brownie points in class.

<snipped>
Traveling faster also means it can travel longer distances while bleeding velocity so therefore can still puncture through higher armour levels at longer rangers compared to the 75mm alternative which started at a slower velocity.<- I failed physics at high school but I think I got that right.* :D
<snipped>

The faster velocity and flatter trajectory also produced a higher likelihood of the tank's round impacting in the crosshairs of the gunner's sights. That higher hit rate likely caused additional psychological effects on both the shooters and their targets. :shocknaz:

That higher hit rate likely caused additional psychological effects on both the shooters and their targets. :shocknaz:
Meh getting shot at by anything will probably have a psychological event on oneself. :)

To paraphrase The Chieftain again... "The tank that gets the first shot off generally always has the advantage. That crew is like calmly reloading and lining up their next shot, meanwhile the other guy is having a serious emotional event."

:D

I just lost half a sip of coffee out of my nostrils.
You have been reported to the site owner for inappropriate content. :runner:
Are they genuine WW2 unmentionables? Or are they yours? "hold on, I'll just slip these off..." :censored:

The turret overhang is a weight counterbalance to the gun similar to the M10. As such it is just a hunk of metal but also proof against a rear turret shot on it.

Back