Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Map for WW2 CM Campaign

It's pretty for sure...
But Army Group fates being decided by company sized battles?
Knock out a tank = knock out an armoured division? Hmm.
Not sure I could immerse myself, that far out of scale. Personal preference. Just sayin'. :)
I much prefer your to-scale map creations.

Yeah it's interesting. I've never seen a hex board with huge zones like that. Except the old Axis and Allies game perhaps.

Here’s the board game it comes from:

Looks like a nice relaxing beer and pretzels afternoon to me. :)

Thinking about the scale (which has always fascinated me) of wars and wargames, I recalled a rather large game I played a few times with a buddy years ago.
It was Fortress Europa and covered D-Day and France. Quite big. I had some frustratingly bad rolls with my Mulberry harbours every time I was the Allies. GAH!

While a having a quick look at it on boardgamegeek.com, I came across these bad boys.
My godfather! They are the biggest games I have ever seen.

A World At War

a world at war.jpg

a world at war 02.jpg

World In Flames

world in flames 01.jpg

world in flames 02.jpg

Okay first point.... who in their right mind would set up a hex based wargame with little cardboard pieces outdoors with long grass. One gust of wind. :D

Second point, grab a copy of Gargy Grigsby's War in the West. It's hex map covers all of Europe and North Africa and would be pretty suitable. The game includes the BMP files so you could stitch together the whole map for a campaign. The scale would still be a little off for CM but you could get away with each battle representing a brigade sized engagement. The campaign map would also be around 10k x 10k pixels I'd say.... very rough guess.

I've also just had an idea for an ongoing casual club event.... :D

the-castle-youre-an-ideas-man.jpg

5877E8B0-F767-4BDB-B763-4D4C3969DE1F.jpegThere are quite a few axis and allies mod maps available on a vast scale. In fact the combo of stock AAA pacific and AAA Europe maps already produces a world map too big for many dining tables! Very impressive once fully set up. Comparison image showing stock 1942 AAA map with combined AAA 1940 maps

Last edited by a moderator:
Back