Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Military Rations

Moving forward in time, this guy opens and eats a 1940's C-Ration.

When I went to basic training in 1983, we were given C-Rations a couple of times. I believe the Army was in the process of transitioning to MREs. I still have my little P38 can opener. From what I remember, the C-Rats were quite good!

My P38 is stored somewhere hereabouts. I'll have to root it out someday. Hot C-Rats (typically boiled in clean garbage can drums by a gas immersion heater) were all pretty palatable. Some of those served cold, however, were dire. But needs must when the devil drives. That's affirm', First Sergeant!

My sister went to the ROTC advanced camp this summer and because she is a vegetarian her platoon always gave her the veggie omelette MREs. I felt so bad for her.

Watching these (and not being military) I actually appreciate the science and logistics of it all. I mean thinking of all the 'experts' that had to be involved to make it all work together. Chemists, Nutritionists, Chefs...

Moving forward in time, this guy opens and eats a 1940's C-Ration.

When I went to basic training in 1983, we were given C-Rations a couple of times. I believe the Army was in the process of transitioning to MREs. I still have my little P38 can opener. From what I remember, the C-Rats were quite good!

I remember getting C-Rations for the first time at Tank Hill, Fort Jackson in basic training. We were out in the field somewhere marching to or from some training area. We stopped in a large open field where some deuce & 1/2 trucks were parked. A DI stood in the back of a truck and gave a quick lesson on how to open the cans with a P38. Then big cases of C-Rations were thrown onto the ground and the DI yelled, "You got 10 minutes to eat and 5 minutes are already gone!" We broke open the big cases and took out the smaller individual meal boxes (IIRC had 4 cans each). The problem was there were only 2 or 3 P38s per big case and we were not yet proficient with the use of the P38. Also the entire training company (about 160 trainees) was in that field and we were all starving as usual. I think I got the partial contents of one can and was still hungry when we were marched off. Within a few days most of us had scrounged up our own P38s and it became a valuable item. I vowed I would never again go hungry because I couldn't open a can of food. To this day I carry my basic training P38 on my key ring and tell the story to my kids.

I remember getting C-Rations for the first time at Tank Hill, Fort Jackson in basic training. We were out in the field somewhere marching to or from some training area. We stopped in a large open field where some deuce & 1/2 trucks were parked. A DI stood in the back of a truck and gave a quick lesson on how to open the cans with a P38. Then big cases of C-Rations were thrown onto the ground and the DI yelled, "You got 10 minutes to eat and 5 minutes are already gone!" We broke open the big cases and took out the smaller individual meal boxes (IIRC had 4 cans each). The problem was there were only 2 or 3 P38s per big case and we were not yet proficient with the use of the P38. Also the entire training company (about 160 trainees) was in that field and we were all starving as usual. I think I got the partial contents of one can and was still hungry when we were marched off. Within a few days most of us had scrounged up our own P38s and it became a valuable item. I vowed I would never again go hungry because I couldn't open a can of food. To this day I carry my basic training P38 on my key ring and tell the story to my kids.

You bring back some fond but distant memories. Nothing as valuable as a P38. Legend has its name came from the number of full pressure cuts it took to open a C ration can.

You bring back some fond but distant memories. Nothing as valuable as a P38. Legend has its name came from the number of full pressure cuts it took to open a C ration can.

I might have to try that and count the cuts :D

Back