Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Mortar and artillery ammunition bug?

Panzer_Freak

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
When I have exhausted the HE rounds for artillery or mortar I have noticed it says empty, even though it should be smoke left. Same when I in one of my ongoing games exhausted all smoke grenades, it says empty even though it was 11 HE rounds left. Of course this must be a bug, it has happen some times for me now. Anybody else who has the same experience?

This is as designed. I see that I failed to update the FAQ thread the last time this came up. I'll go do that now. In the mean time here are some explanations:

So when you see (for example) an off-map 105mm battery with 140 HE Rounds and 40 Smoke Rounds........what that actually means is that you have 140 Rounds TOTAL and you can fire a maximum of 40 smoke rounds.

If you fire no smoke, you could fire 140 HE rounds. But you could also fire 100 HE and 40 smoke. Or anything in between as long as the total adds up to 140 and you fire no more than 40 rounds of smoke.

The game does not make this entirely clear and it is not very intuitive.

I think of it this way. There is an ammo depot with 900 HE rounds and 100 smoke rounds in it. This is enough to cover the battery's needs for the next week. But, for this battle, you are only allocated a maximum of 140 rounds total and up to 40 round of smoke.

I think the reason it works like this is to prevent smoke from being fired in nearly every game. Probably smoke was only ever used in real life as part of a specific plan. If players always got 40 bonus smoke shells, they'd probably fire them just for the sake of spending the ammo...

As it works now, if you see smoke shells used, you know the other guy is up to something.

Well, smoke can also be a problem for u if just sent of randomly, but I see your point.

Back