Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[MOVIE] Dunkirk

Nelson1812

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Seen Dunkirk this morning (10.00am), avoiding those peppercorns eating, chatty talkers, and seat pushers that attend other performances, that I normally attract. There was only four people in for this viewing at this showing.

Good film, these historic films always bring a tear to my eye.

Two points:

Don’t think you could call it an epic… as it focuses on one small part of the retreat.

Knowing what I know about Dunkirk, helped to appreciate the film and its story, as told.

If you knew nothing about Dunkirk (excludes most of you!) … think you may have found the film less enjoyable.

I did not nod off!

Enjoyed it.

I'm hoping to see it on Wednesday. From what I've read it's meant to be quite good.
The more practical effects with real planes / ships should be interesting. And the sound plus music is meant to be great also.

From a historical perspective, it's good that it can teach people about a part of the war which is quite often overlooked.

Will probably go see it Thursday the 27th. Looking forward to this one.

Well........... after I posted I noticed Photobucket even screwed this up............ what a pain to fix all the damaged caused by Photobucket's greed. I hope they go out of business.

Last edited:
Ok so I seen it tonight, and is no doubt one of the best films I've seen and heard. I add heard because, well if you haven't seen it yet you'll understand what I mean when you do.
The first gunshot was enough to give me a little jump. And the Stukas... the Stukas!
The way the film was put together in editing with the different stories coming together was very well done in terms of keeping up the suspense. Never a dull moment.

At the end of the movie I realised I didn't even know the names of certain main characters. And that was something great, the audience didn't need to know.

Hopefully with the positive reviews and money this movie is making, it will show the industry that you don't need every single thing computer generated.
I think this will be a big money maker for sure, as I remember going to see Ghost In The Shell on release day, and there were only around 4-5 people in the screening. This was five days into release and it had quite a lot of people in there.

Just seen it today, simply amazing.

The tension from start to end is simply fantastic, and at times unbearable. Some moments make you jump but not like in a horror movie way.

Gritty, real, believable and authentic. Not seen that in a war film in a long time. The way its put together is also brilliant.

Makes me proud! Go see it!

went to see this film tonight at the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it - took the wife along and though she generally hates anything war related she liked it too (once I had explained which fighter planes belonged to which side.)
The cinematic sound of warfare is very powerful, and I'm not ashamed to say I was startled a few times by the gunfire.
I wonder how many who survived ever went below deck on a ship again after that experience.

Edit......just watched the video of the old soldier who was there, and his thoughts after seeing the film........some very poignant words from one who experienced it first hand.

Along with Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, this film is up there at the top.
Steve

Last edited:
I saw it a few days ago with the wife and kids. Overall it was a good movie.

/////////////////////// SPOILER ////////////////////////////

My one complaint was with how a young civilian boy was killed on one of the small boats. I am no grog on commonwealth forces / Dunkirk but I seriously doubt that incident happened. The commonwealth officer not wanting to return to the beach and acting a little crazy was believable and may have happened. But to take the incident to its fatal ending was going to far in my opinion. Unless, of course, that type of incident really did occur during the evacuation. If it did not occur what motive is there for inventing it?

I didn't think so. I thought it was very pertinent. It showed fear as an enemy. It showed the consequences of fear can be just as deadly as German bullets and bombs. It showed just how fragile we humans really are. It showed death has no partiality, especially in war. It showed how he made a sacrifice just as valid as those in uniform, even though he died by accident. He was killed trying to keep the boat from being turned around. He understood what was at stake, even though he himself was afraid. Finally, it showed forgiveness in how the boat's owner and his son handled the boy's death with the soldier who caused it.

All of the other deaths in the movie were driven by an external enemy. The boy's death was driven by an internal enemy, and an enemy each and every one of us knows very well. Fear.

Last edited:
Back