Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[MOVIE] Dunkirk

I am no grog on the Dunkirk evacuation and I may be wrong but I don't think the depicted event of the commonwealth officer killing a young lad that had come to rescue him actually happened. I also don't think it is abstractly representative of the actions of the brave people involved in the Dunkirk evacuation. I am open to being corrected if this event actually took place or if it is representative of how commonwealth soldiers conducted themselves during the evacuation. If the event did not happen and it is not representative of events that generally did happen then the movie "showed" a contrived scene which reflected very negatively on the heroes of the evacuation.

Unless you can factually correct me the question is why the makers of the movie decided to show a contrived scene which reflected negatively on the heroes of the evacuation. With all the drama involved in the evacuation was there no better more accurate way to "show" consequences of fear, how fragile humans really are, that death has no partiality, sacrifices just as valid as those in uniform and forgiveness? Just sticking to the facts with some reasonable artistic license to make it into a movie would have worked.

I am so tired of the factually inaccurate attacks on the real heroes of this world (many who are no longer able to defend themselves). I think it is fair to ask the question why the makers of this movie and other venues knowingly, intentionally, and unnecessarily decide to invent / contrive scenes that reflect negatively on our heroes.

As I said above it was overall a good movie and I recommend people go see it. Even with the invented scene it is about as good as we can currently expect.

No offense to you @Rambler. I consider you a brother in arms. When they make good movies we should say so. When they fabricate and insert negative scenes about the real heroes we are obligated to point out said fabrications and ask about their motives.

A great movie. There is nothing to spoiler IMO.

The dream like scene at the end of the spitfire over the beach...beautiful.

I´d be interested if german level bombers actually went boat hunting at low altitude as shown in the movie.
I read that american level bombing of japanese ships was totally ineffective despite air force bragging to the contrary.
In the panzer general german level bombers are extremely effective against ships. ;)

Good movie but the time jumping of the three story arcs got me for a bit in the middle there until a certain character appeared out of order.

As I've mentioned on these forums before, I wander if Nolan has any plans to make a sequel? ;)

In the film, the character of Tom Hardy was inspired by a real event?

Sq Ldr. Kenneth Grahame Hart -a RAF pilot- was nineteen-years-old when he crash-landed his Spitfire on the beaches of Dunkirk following an aerial dogfight with the Luftwaffe in May 1940.

IjTE5DM.jpg

K. Hart

He then watched the wreckage burn after setting fire to the plane with a flare gun to prevent it from being captured by German troops, before later returning to Britain on a rescue ship during Operation Dynamo (unlike Hardy's character who was captured by the Germans).

RBPJXGD.jpg

Kenny Hart set fire to his fighter jet to stop the Germans from stealing it.

In a air fight, on May 26, 1940, Hart shot down one of the Me 109’s at about 08:40, seeing it crash in flames onto the beach at Dunkirk, unfortunately his aircraft was hit in the starboard wing forcing Hart down onto the same beach alongside the burning Messerschmitt (unlike Hardy in that he had to land because he ran out of fuel).

UaYYueg.jpg

Hardy aboard Spitfire

ieVIvjF.jpg

Tom Hardy watching his plane burn

Sq Ldr. K. Hart, who was part of the group of RAF pilots known as “the few”- the heroic RAF pilots who defended Britain’s skies during the war, survived a total of four crash landings, went on to fight in the Battle of Britain, claiming ace status with five enemy kills.

Unfortunately Hart was killed when his Boston night-fighter plane was struck by anti-aircraft flak and engulfed in flames over Italy in Dec 1944.

Back