Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[MOVIE] Saving Private Ryan

Louis

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
Al almost 20 years, I still love this film.
It deserves its space here...
vDBkUuy.jpg

Yep, the D-Day scene is very moving. I read that a lot of WW2 vet's that hit the beach on D-Day had a lot of suppressed memories come back to haunt them after watching the first 25 minutes or so. I agree with Shane, this movie and Band of Brothers brought home World War 2 to the younger generations.

Yep, the D-Day scene is very moving. I read that a lot of WW2 vet's that hit the beach on D-Day had a lot of suppressed memories come back to haunt them after watching the first 25 minutes or so. <snipped>

Yes, my father told me he could not watch it either. He was not at D-Day but lost friends who were.
The film's greatness derives from the fact that it so realistically portrays and does not glorify that war.

D-Day scene is incredible..the rest meh

It was reported that when the movie first came out some Omaha Beach veterans went to see it and were visibly shaken by the whole landing sequence. They said that was very close to what they experienced on D-Day. They said it brought back long suppressed memories, none good. I worked for a man whose uncle was in the first wave at Omaha. When the ramp dropped the MG 42 in the pillbox directly in front of the LCVP beaching point opened up and he was the only survivor in his platoon, the rest of them mowed down in the landing craft. He spent the rest of his life in and out of the VA hospital trying to exorcise that experience.

It was reported that when the movie first came out some Omaha Beach veterans went to see it and were visibly shaken by the whole landing sequence. They said that was very close to what they experienced on D-Day. They said it brought back long suppressed memories, none good. I worked for a man whose uncle was in the first wave at Omaha. When the ramp dropped the MG 42 in the pillbox directly in front of the LCVP beaching point opened up and he was the only survivor in his platoon, the rest of them mowed down in the landing craft. He spent the rest of his life in and out of the VA hospital trying to exorcise that experience.

My own father served in the Pacific and was not present at D-Day. However, he refused to even consider watching that film. He said that even after all this time had passed, he didn't need to bring back old memories of his own experiences nor watch what happened to his high school classmates who were part of that landing and never returned home after the war.

I liked all of Saving Private Ryan. Still one of my favorite films.

As for movies bringing back old (bad) memories, I remember when Platoon first came out. There were reports at the time of Vietnam vets not being able to sit through the film. Too many memories....

How much psychiatric help do veterans get to combat PTSD (as far as possible)? My impression is that almost all veterans (I met a few when I lived in the US for a year) refrain from even speaking about what happened to them - which is understandable. Especially with people who hasn't known what combat is themselves. But keeping quiet and bottling up trauma, for whichever cause, is never a good thing. But understandable, as it is extremely hard to go through. Are there psychiatrists who specialize in treating combat veterans?
Check my sig and you know what I'm after.

My father's oldest brother was in the 101st Airborne during operation Overlord. He was part of the glider section. Never heard him say a word about it, and I did get to spend a good bit of time with him, before he died in his 90s.

Being in the medical field myself, it seems to me that psychological issues such as PTSD are often ignored here in the U.S., in comparison to physical injuries. I think we are finally taking steps to correct that, thank God.

Great movie watched it a couple of days ago some inaccuracy like Tom Hanks sticking his Tommie in Tigers drivers view port hmmm not going to happen, but in all great movie up there with Fury- Beast of War -The Wall -Hurt Locker -Hacksaw Ridge etc Cheers Pete.

For you Americans (of North)...
‘Saving Private Ryan’ is heading back to theaters for the 75th anniversary of D-Day.
The film returns to cinemas this June in honor of the 75th anniversary of the D-Day invasion. Fathom Events is bringing the film to 600 cinemas nationwide for two days only on June 2nd and 5th, both days at 3:00 pm and 7:00 pm.
https://www.fathomevents.com/events/saving-private-ryan-1998-event

Enjoy then @Gunner .
I must admit that "SPR" I have not seen in the cinema, only on television and several times, in fact I own the DVD.
I am aware that I miss the magic of cinema, especially the sound effects.
I can imagine how you could enjoy this Spielberg masterpiece.

Back