Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[ Movie ] Wandering Earth

Still craving Sci-Fi after watching The Expanse I was browsing Netflix and more or less accidentally <clicked> on this. I recall it was very well rec'd and was like the biggest Chinese movie ever. The details escape me but you know how to find them.

I'm not sure how to describe this nor am I sure if I even liked it. I did watch the whole 2hrs, so there ya' go. I did consider quitting though.

What it has going for it is some excellent CGI. It all looks very believable and is exciting. After that, not so much. The editing is a problem. The action is frequently fast-paced so the CGI affects just go by in a blur, leaving no time to stop and smell the roses, if you will. Thus, all that CGI work is kind of wasted since the viewer doesn't get to see much of it. Probably a "me" thing and that's hardly a first time.

The whole premises left me thinking it was ridiculous. Pretty sure after Earth's 2500 year journey it would arrive at the new sun as a lifeless, barren rock. Yippee! How do the people in the 10,000 underground cities survive the trip. Water? Food? Power? Combat Mission? A LOT of suspension of disbelief required and I just couldn't produce enough. And the plan to keep Earth from falling into Jupiter...really?

Then my racism (not maliciously, just ignorantly) caused me problems. This is an all Chinese production and cast. Apparently, when this catastrophe takes place the world's population is all Chinese. Wait, I guess that could happen. For the first half of the movie I was having a tough time keeping up with who was who, but things got better when I just gave up worrying about it and merely focused on the few major characters. I watched it with English subtitles and I suspect the translation was the cause of most of the dialog being so stilted and rather trite. It made all the characters seem even more one dimensional when added to the facts, it was usually dark, they were all dressed in space suits most of the time, and individually, generally unrecognizable. The end result was I just didn't have any emotional attachment to any of them. Well, except the cute, whiny teen-aged sister of the main character whom I loathed. Good lord! Her name was Duoduo. Diabetes inducing sweetness.

Worth your time? Maybe. Possibly, Probably not.

Exactly, as soon they said move earth to other star with rockets that sounds too Willy Coyote and Acme for me, I thought of giving it some oportunity, I like hard core sci-fi but this doesn't seems like anything like that. Thanks for opinion I think I'll pass it.

Back