Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Need a map-tester CMFI

L

Lighthorse

I have design another map for our Sicily campaign.
I send it on to the GM/Walter, but would like to game the map on a quick battle, looking for any faults.
Its 1.0k x 0.6k size with a steep hill in the center. The hill has a ruin castle keep on top of it and abbey/monastery with other buildings on top too. This will provide the Axis with an excellent defense position, but it can be cracked by the Allies.
Email me at lighthorsefgm at yahoo dot com if you're interested.
Remember this is a CMFI fight, it only too test the map and for fun, so there no FGM ladder scoring to worry about.

Here three photos of the map, looking from the American frontline;
CMFortressItaly2012-10-2222-52-53-80.jpg

CMFortressItaly2012-10-2222-53-14-93.jpg

CMFortressItaly2012-10-2222-53-40-73.jpg

The map is absolutely beautiful! :)

I would really like to play on it and I need some training with Ialian troops - so I'm your man, Henry! ;)

Sent you a dropbox invite. :)

Thanks for sending me these Maps. Just tell me when you tested the map. I will then open a new thread containing this map and the others you send me. So we gradually enhancing the amount of QB Maps for Sicily. Great work Henry!

Hm... just wondering right now - the monastery... isn't that Santo Enrice? ;)

The map is absolutely beautiful! :)

I would really like to play on it and I need some training with Ialian troops - so I'm your man, Henry! ;)

Sent you a dropbox invite. :)
OK Shorker, I got both files in our dropbox folder.
Please note, that I set you up as the Italian in one of the fights and in the other I took the Germans.
We have one hour and the Americans are attacking, medium size battle.
Weather clear, warm and light wind.
Thanks again Shorker........good luck
Lighthorse

Hm... just wondering right now - the monastery... isn't that Santo Enrice? ;)
Rename to the monastery, Santo Enrice.

Shorker,
I would like some feedback on your thoughts about this map, please.
1. Have you found any faults with the map, yet?
2. I know my tactics are poor, but does the map provide enough maneuver room for both sides?
3. Does the terrain have the right feel to it?
4. And, is it challenging enough for both sides?

I'm enjoying myself, with these two fights, my thanks to you again.
Lighthorse

Rename to the monastery, Santo Enrice.

LOL! :)

Lighthorse : Didn't recognize your first posting for some reason - good luck for you too! ;)

What I think at the moment is (only my personal opinion, of course):

- the mountain in the middle of the map is very high whereas the rest of the map is nearly absolutely flat - there should be some more hills.
- the deployment zone for the defender is much too small. There is nearly no chance to block the road or to defend the last (or third) victory location (the junction/exit road).
There should be a possibility of placing a mine or road block. And as we see it right now in the game, with the small deployment zone nearly only at the mountain,
the units are like in a goldfish bowl - one airplane and that was it with the defence. But for me at the moemnt it is still interesting to see how the battle will continue when the attackers
have to climb up the mountain.

- there a too many little stone walls in my opinion as they are even around forrests (or large groups of trees)

- I didn't work ith the scenario editor in CMFI yet but I'm not sure if the forrests do have the right "ground". It seems as if there would be just "dry grass" all over the place
(but I might be wrong due to my lack of experience with map making in CMFI).

Super feedback, thanks Shorker.

the mountain in the middle of the map is very high whereas the rest of the map is nearly absolutely flat - there should be some more hills.
I designed this so the terrain added to the defense, as the Allies push deeper into Sicily, they will start to run into tougher terrain features. After reviewing everything on the net on Sicily terrain, I base this and other maps on that research. There some real nasty hills/mountains in center and coastal parts of Sicily, a defender dream.

- the deployment zone for the defender is much too small. There is nearly no chance to block the road or to defend the last (or third) victory location (the junction/exit road).
There should be a possibility of placing a mine or road block. And as we see it right now in the game, with the small deployment zone nearly only at the mountain,
I didn't want to make it too easy for the defender and impossible for the attacker. a few mixed mines can completely block the attacker advance, didn't want that. The defender has more than enough time to move forces into those rear areas and set up some nasty surprises for the Allies. That's what I'm doing to you as we play. also glad that you didn't purchase any air support to attack my transports in my rear.

the units are like in a goldfish bowl - one airplane and that was it with the defence. But for me at the moemnt it is still interesting to see how the battle will continue when the attackers
have to climb up the mountain. The Axis will always be under the Allies air support, smart Allies will always purchase some air support. The main advantage for the Axis is the Hilltop terrain and all those rocky wall fences. Stone wall are cheap and last forever, unlike other wall/fence material.

Please keep the feedback coming Shorker.

I found a minor "unfitting" thing on your monestary map: Vineyards are usually laid alongside to the South and South-West of a mountain (or hill) because of the course of the sun.
On your map the monks are also trying to grow grapes on the cold, shady North side where the sun never shines. ;)

I found a minor "unfitting" thing on your monestary map: Vineyards are usually laid alongside to the South and South-West of a mountain (or hill) because of the course of the sun.
On your map the monks are also trying to grow grapes on the cold, shady North side where the sun never shines. ;)
Hahaha...I was hoping no else would notice the monk's secret.
Shorker, if its real issue, I 'm gladly redo the vineyards to grass ans some brushes instead.

"The monk's secret" HA HA HA!!! Very good!

We-eeell it is not really an issue - depends on your own personal demands as a map maker. I'm only giving feedback. :)

I'm just mentioning it. You wanted a tester - now you've got one. One of that kind who sees everything! LOL! :D

(and a good mate tells you the truth and does not always say "fine, fine, fine". What you're making out of it in the end is alone your decision). ;)

I'm just mentioning it. You wanted a tester - now you've got one. One of that kind who sees everything! LOL! :D

(and a good mate tells you the truth..... ;)

Shorker,

I ask for and got your honest option.
I couldn't ask for more than that.
Thank You

My pleasure! ;)

(and as I said before - this is only a minor thing)

But there is one big thing: You said your tactics would be poor but you're kicking my a** !!! LOL! :D

**********************************************************************************************************************

But back to map testing:

I tried to let a group of men walk from the bottom of the rear mountain to the top and did not set the waypoints so very very exactly to every bend of the street going up.
By this I saw that four men walked up one very high steep piece of that hill as if there was an invisible elevator instead of walking along the street. Don't know if that can be fixed.
By using a different piece of ground maybe?

Back