Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Need help with scenario briefing translation

R

Rikugun Chusa

'Cos I'm not native English speaker (in fact I'm Russian) it will be good if someone check my bad English to improve quality of briefing.
Here is first part, from my almost-ready-to-upload scenario:

Situation
On the august 17th 1944 soviet 311st Rifle Division is stuck on prepared enemy defenses to the South of Western Dvina river. All attempts to break through were unsuccessful and higher HQ issued order to stop. In Ozolini – Rabeli region enemy have prepared forward defensive position in small hamlet Salas. It situated against the division's center and performed a good flanking position covered all approach to main line of resistance.
Mission
To improve tactical situation, 311st division commander decides to take and hold enemy strongpoint in Salas. To perform this task he create a force consisted of a penal company, recon squad and some artillery units.
Friendly Forces
2nd penal Co from Penal Bn of 4th Shock Army: 3 rifle plt (6 rifle Sq 70% strength)
Recon Plt from 1067 RR (2 rifle Sq and 2 breach teams)
Direct support group: 4 ATGs (45mm) and 4 HMGs
Artillery support: 2x120mm and 2x3x82mm mortars
Enemy Forces
Enemy garrison consist of strengthened infantry platoon with 2 or 3 HMGs. There are a lot of trenches and several wooden pillboxes in strongpoint.
Plan
Attack must be conducted from all three sides immediately after short (3-5 minutes long) and heavy artillery strike. When the lash shell fell, our forces mast be on the edge of enemy trenches. Then kill them all, take strongpoint and prepare it for defense.
Notes
Scenario based on account from book "Rifle units in different kind of combat" by Soviet Defense Ministry, materials from pamyat-naroda.ru and military maps of 1938 origins. And, of course, Google Earth.
German forces are estimated, based on soviet after action reports. Soviet forces as correct as possible down to commanders' names (Petrovsky is the real penal unit commander)

Be careful what as for, @Rikugun Chusa. FGM is full of diverse opinions and differences among translators! :cool:
Here is mine for you to use and change as you wish. A text file zip is attached for you as well.
I am not a CMRT player, so good luck with this. Kudos to you for your efforts.

Situation:
17 August 1944. South of Western Dvina river.
The 311th Soviet Rifle Division has halted before well prepared enemy defenses. All attempts to break through were unsuccessful before higher headquarters issued orders to halt further attacks. In the Ozolini – Rabeli region, enemy forces have prepared forward defensive positions in the small hamlet of Salas. Salas is situated across the 311th Division's center of advance. That hamlet provides the enemy strong flanking positions which cover all friendly approaches to the German main line of resistance.
Mission:
To improve the tactical situation, Commander 311th Division orders the Red Army to take and hold the enemy strong-point in Salas. This task is assigned to an ad hoc force consisting of a penal company, a recon squad, and supporting artillery units.
Friendly Forces:
- 2nd Penal Company, Penal Battalion, 4th Shock Army; composed of three (3) rifle platoons totaling six (6) rifle Squads at 70% of original strength.
- Reconnaissance Platoon, 1067th Rifle Regiment comprising two (2) rifle squads with two (2) breach teams.
- Direct support group made up of four (4) 45mm anti-tank guns (ATG's) and four (4) heavy machine-gun (HMG) teams
- Artillery support consisting of two (2) 120mm mortars and two (2) 82mm mortar sections of three (3) mortars each.
Enemy Forces:
- Enemy garrison consists of a reinforced German infantry platoon with two (2) to three (3) heavy machine-guns (HMG). They occupy well prepared defensive positions consisting of numerous trenches and several strong-points made of several wooden pillboxes.
Plan of Attack:
A coordinated close assault must be launched simultaneously against all three (3) sides of the enemy blocking positions. A short heavy artillery fire mission will bombard enemy defense lines for three (3) to five (5) minutes preceding the infantry attack. When the last shell impacts, all Soviet attacking forces must be positioned on the edge of enemy trench lines. When our artillery fires lift, rise up Comrades and annihilate our enemies. Take the German strong-point and immediately prepare it for defense against certain counter-attack. "Dlya rodiny, tovarishchi!"
Notes:
This scenario based on a narrative account from the book "Rifle Units in Different Kinds of Combat" by Soviet Defense Ministry, materials from website pamyat-naroda.ru. Scenario map is based upon military maps of 1938 and Google Earth. German forces are estimated based on Soviet after action reports. Soviet forces are as correct as possible including unit commander names (Petrovsky was the actual penal unit commander).

Attachments

• Rikugun Chusa scenario briefing - draft.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 2
Thanks, Badger73!
Salas is situated across the 311th Division's center of advance.
I'm not sure about center of advance (CoA). Salas was situated at the center of division's frontline. Is the CoA correct english term for russian 'frontline'?
Commander 311th Division orders the Red Army
Can't agree. Red Army is under command of Stavka, not division commander. Is it good to say:
Commander 311th Division orders to take and hold the enemy strong-point in Salas ?
They occupy well prepared defensive positions consisting of numerous trenches and several strong-points made of several wooden pillboxes.
That was one small strong-point consisted of trenches and pillboxes. Is it good to say:
They occupy well prepared defensive positions consisting of numerous trenches and several wooden pillboxes ?

You are very welcome for the help. Your responses help me understand what to clarify.

<snipped>
I'm not sure about center of advance (CoA). Salas was situated at the center of division's frontline. Is the CoA correct english term for russian 'frontline'?
<snipped>

I misunderstood your meaning. "Center of Advance" is not a formal military term and is probably a bad way to describe the situation. How about this instead?
Salas is centrally situated directly in front of 311th Division. It must be taken in order for the Division to continue further advance.

<snipped>
Can't agree. Red Army is under command of Stavka, not division commander. Is it good to say:
Commander 311th Division orders to take and hold the enemy strong-point in Salas ?
<snipped>

Understood. Is this better?
STAVKA has directed that Commander 311th Division resume decisive efforts that forcefully eliminate all enemy forces to seize and occupy the strong points in and around Salas.

<snipped>
That was one small strong-point consisted of trenches and pillboxes. Is it good to say:
They occupy well prepared defensive positions consisting of numerous trenches and several wooden pillboxes ?

Yes, it is better to say it your way instead. Good luck with your scenario!

I'm still not satisfied with
Salas is centrally situated directly in front of 311th Division.
Salas is situated against the center of Division's position. Here is the map to clarify situation
salas ai oper sov.jpg
STAVKA has directed that Commander 311th Division resume decisive efforts that forcefully eliminate all enemy forces to seize and occupy the strong points in and around Salas.
Sorry, but no. This was ... I'm not sure about English term ... 'local operation'. It started by 1067th Rifle Regiment after command from 311th division Commander. Not STAVKA, not Army, not even Corps. Just small local operation. May be:
Commander 311th Division orders 1067th Rifle Regiment to take and hold the enemy strong-point in Salas ?

Strong point Salas must be taken as it's a key part of the enemies MLR (Main Line of Resistance).
This is not correct. MLR is situated from Steinfelde to Bruvere (see map). Salas is not part of MLR. It is forward screening position.

I'm still not satisfied with

Salas is situated against the center of Division's position. Here is the map to clarify situation
View attachment 14912

Sorry, but no. This was ... I'm not sure about English term ... 'local operation'. It started by 1067th Rifle Regiment after command from 311th division Commander. Not STAVKA, not Army, not even Corps. Just small local operation. May be:
Commander 311th Division orders 1067th Rifle Regiment to take and hold the enemy strong-point in Salas ?
<snipped>

"Commander 311th Division orders 1067th Rifle Regiment to take and hold the enemy strong-point in Salas", is very direct and clearly understood.
You are correct to prefer it instead of my other suggestions.

To @MeatEtr's suggestion, your strip map shows more things more clearly. It now seems more accurate to say something like,

"The salient formed by the enemy strong-point at Salas must be cleared before further attacks can be launched against the German main lines of resistance (MLR's)."

Here I'm again :D. Next briefing for H2H version of same scenario, now for German side:

Situation

By the 17th august 1944 German troops from 16th Army has managed to stop Russian assaults on so-called 'Riga's corridor'. 205th Infanterie Division has manned prepared position on the easternmost flank of German forces and covered important Western Dvina river crossings.

German Main Line of Resistance (MLR) is situated along Steinfelde – Bruvere line on local hills and provide good line of sight on lowlands where road Ozolini – Rabeli runs. In front of this position situated platoon-sized strongpoint in small hamlet of Salas. This hamlet provides strong flanking positions which cover all approaches to the German MLR.

Mission

Your mission is to hold Salas strong point and inflict enemy as many casualties as possible.

Friendly Forces

Salas garrison from Alarmenkompanie, 205th FEB, 205th Infanterie Division consists of a platoon (3 infantry squads at 80% original strength) and 2 HMG teams. Garrison manning a well prepared defensive position consisting of numerous trenches and two wooden pillboxes. Hamlet's houses are strong enough to sustain against mortar fire and can be used for cover.

We also have a support from our MLR: 4 HMGs, 2 leIG and 2 81mm mortar batteries.

Enemy Forces

During the previous weeks of combat enemy has sustained great losses and can't gather for attack more than a company-size force. But Russians still have strong artillery support.

Plan

The main treat for defending troops is enemy artillery. You must do all to minimize losses from artillery fire: almost all men must be in cover with only several sentry on duty. It is very important to determine area of enemy main strike. On this area you must concentrate all available supporting fire. Ditches south of strongpoint and area south of road from west of Salas are potentially dangerous directions.

Notes

German house rules:

1. Can't redeploy trenches and pillboxes situated in Salas.

2. Can't rotate pillboxes in Salas

3. Can't use preplanned artillery strikes.

"Situation

By 17th August 1944 German troops from 16th Army have managed to stop Russian assaults on the so-called 'Riga corridor'. 205th Infanterie Division has manned prepared position on the easternmost flank of German forces ,covering the important Western Dvina river crossings.

The German Main Line of Resistance (MLR) is situated on hills along the line Steinfelde – Bruvere. This provides a good line of sight to the low ground through which the Ozolini – Rabeli road runs. In front of the MLR is a platoon-sized strongpoint in the hamlet of SALAS. This strongpoint covers all likely approaches to the German MLR.

Mission

Your mission is to hold the SALAS strong point and inflict as many enemy casualties as possible.

Friendly Forces

Its garrison is a detachment from Alarmenkompanie, 205th FEB**, 205th Infanterie Division and comprises of a platoon (3 infantry squads at 80% original strength) and 2 HMG teams. This garrison is manning a well prepared defensive position consisting of numerous trenches and two wooden pillboxes. SALAS's houses provide cover from view and are strong enough to protect against mortar fire.

Direct support from our MLR comprises: 4 HMGs, 2 leIG and 2 81mm mortar batteries.

Enemy Forces

The enemy has recently sustained heavy losses in infantry so attacks at greater than company strength are not expected. However any attack will have strong artillery support.

Plan

The main threat is enemy artillery. You must do everything possible to minimize losses from it. Maximum use must be made of protective cover whilst maintaining overwatch. The axis of the enemy attack must be identified as soon as possible, and then all available supporting fire must be concentrated on it. Potential axes of attack are the ditches south of the strongpoint and the area south of the road leading west of SALAS.

Notes

German house rules:

1. Can't redeploy trenches and pillboxes situated in SALAS.

2. Can't rotate pillboxes in Salas

3. Can't use preplanned artillery strikes."

I've put the asterisks by '205th FEB**' simply because I don't know what FEB means here.

I've put the asterisks by '205th FEB**' simply because I don't know what FEB means here.
FEB=FeldErsatzBataillon. I don't know a correct English term for this. This is a part of Division dedicated to teaching infantrymen (how to use heavy weapons, how to melee, how to drive and to repair trucks and so on). In the time of needs it used like regular infantry battalion.
PS. I'll add the meaning of this acronym in briefing.

Last edited by a moderator:
O, I know this term "Field Replacement Battalion" but I was not sure about it. Thanks for clarification!
And please stay tuned 'cos I have two more scenarios under testing and one under construction. They all needs an English briefing ;)

Back