Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Neutral Eire

Louis

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
With the Republic of Ireland (Eire) remaining neutral during WW2 there were a number of large signs such as the one shown here, which was at Slieve League, County Donegal.

vgiXoL3.jpg

There has initially been a "Coastal Watch" to give notice of any Invasion of the Republic of Ireland however between 1942 and 1943 a total of 82 of these large signs were painted along the coastline with the number giving a Location. The purpose was to show that NO aircraft from either the Allies or Axis were permitted.

UUhW9oi.png

ww2ni.com
lavanguardia.com

Last edited:
Two German aircraft bombed Dublin shortly after midnight on May 31, 1941. They had apparently become disorientated while on a bombing mission over either the Mersey, or the Bristol area, both of which were bombed that night.

About 30 German aircraft were sighted around Dublin. The first plane arrived shortly after midnight. A flare was sent up to denote neutral territory, but the plane dropped a bomb off the North Circular Road; it fell on soft waste ground and did little more than excavate a huge crater. Other bombs were dropped in the Phoenix Park, where they caused great excitement among the animals in Dublin Zoo.

Most damage was done by another aircraft, which dropped four bombs in the North Stand area, leaving a 1,000-yard swathe of destruction, and killing 28 people with hundreds injured. Twenty houses were demolished, and some 55 others rendered virtually uninhabitable. More than 400 people were left homeless.

5t2VeVO.jpg

Bomb damage on North Strand Rd.

The bombs were promptly identified as German and a diplomatic protest was lodged in Berlin. The Germans explained in reply that if their aircraft were responsible it was an accident as “there can be no question of any intentional attack on Éire territory”.

“Nazi planes dropped their loads of death over a wide area of Dublin, killing and wounding more than a hundred people,” Pathé News, the movie house newsreel, reported.

SHiUISC.jpg

The reason for the bombing had never been explained, but there have been plenty of theories. One theory was that the British had “bent” the radio beams that the Germans were using to locate their targets.

The British were certainly trying to interfere with those radio signals. It was therefore possible that some of the German aircraft involved in bombing Bristol or Liverpool had become disorientated and arrived over Dublin.

It was a clear night, and Dublin was lit up, so it should not have been mistaken for a British city, which were all blacked out.

No evidence has been found among German documents to suggest that the bombing was a deliberate attack on Dublin. Germany ultimately accepted responsibility for the Dublin bombing. In 1958, the Bonn government paid £327,000 in compensation for the destruction of life and property.​

irelandsmilitarystory.ie
irishexaminer.com

Ha!
Well yeah I got that part. :D

Being in New York I have met a lot of Irish both long term and new to the country and I never heard it called just Eire before as a single word.

And now, of course, Louis's posts - and with your help Nort - there's some research to be done here.

And so without further ado and from various websites...

Is Ireland called Eire?

Constitutional name
Article 4 of the Constitution of Ireland, adopted in 1937, provides that "[t]he name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland". Hence, the Irish state has two official names, Éire (in Irish) and Ireland (in English).

Why is Eire offensive?

The term 'Ireland' applies to whole island. English people may have seized on the term 'Eire' because it gave them an excuse not say 'Ireland'. They wanted to avoid describing the Southern Ireland team as 'Ireland' so 'Eire' demarcates the fact that it is the 26 county team they are talking about. Jan 19, 2016

Sir, - In "An Irishman's Diary" of August 23rd, Kevin Myers contends that many people find the use of the word "Eire" offensive when used to describe this State. I would suggest that its misuse, rather than its use, is what some people find irritating rather than offensive.

10 Things Tourists Should Never Say in Ireland
“I'm Irish”
Quizzing about potatoes.
Anything about an Irish car bomb.
“Top of the morning to you”
“Everything is better in… (Insert large city)”
“St Patty's Day”
“Do you know so-and-so from…”
“I love U2”

("I love U2." Ha! That's a good one)

As an Irishman I can confirm that list! :D (except perhaps the U2 thing, which is just a matter of taste)

Back