Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

New Gaming PC build advice asked

Meat Grinder

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
So I've been squirreling away money for a new gaming PC for quite a while. Let's go with a budget of $3k USD. I can either build it myself, or buy it already built. Keyboard and speakers are not going to change. Open to suggestions. ;-)

Yea, I've been building my own since the 386 was the latest CPU, lol. I think the last pre-built computer I bought was my Amiga 500.

Never tried water cooling. May give that a shot. Need to research the latest cases, CPUs, GPUs, and motherboards. Dunno if I want to keep my 1080p monitor or try a 4k. The hard drive will be an SSD, of course. I may not even put an optical drive in it.

Interesting topic. Let us know what you eventually decide on. I will probably be in the market for a new rig in a year or two. My current rig I bought to primarily run CM2 games. My concern is that there has been some talk on the forums about going to CM3. I don't know when that might happen or what the specs to run a CM3 game will be. From reading the BFC forums I know what I would buy for CM2. Not sure what to buy for CM3. So, I may be stuck waiting anyways.....

What kind of monitor are you hooking it up to? I am myself long-term thinking of both new computer and monitor and want to know what kind of kit CM would kick-ass on.

What let me puzzled is the Win10 Home edition, I'm giving you lot of money and you cannot upgrade it to Pro? :LOL:

Anyhow with this build you will be fine for years!
A 4K monitor is not really needed for average purpose though.

I'm not an expert by any means, but given that I'm looking for a new laptop for myself, I read several times that a 4K for gamimg purpose is an overkill:

- if you are too close to the monitor for the human eye there is not a real difference
- I'm not sure how many 4K games are out there
- it is more resource consuming

Edit: and expensive!

Advantage with high-resoultion on for example a 27 inch monitor, for wargaming purposes, is that you get to see more of a map, battlefield etc at any time which to me is a benefit when making decisions as it gives you a larger view on things. I just wish there were more high res monitors with 16:10 aspect ratio which I prefer.

Back