Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

New Gaming PC build advice asked

I liked the compact size. A big fan setup hanging off the CPU/Motherboard looked like it would put a lot of stress on the board.

I understand, but I think, like the guys said in the video, Noctua has put a lot of research into their mounts, so that is probably not a concern unless you move your PC often. Having said that, I may still go with the exact same water cooler you did, because, like they said in the video, water cooling systems have more "thermal mass", so they tend to smooth out quick changes in CPU loading.

Plus, they look cool.

Having said *that*, I'm an air cooled Volkswagen and motorcycle guy, so I also love air cooling.......

And while I'm having a hard time deciding on the CPU cooling system, I have decided that this will probably be the actual CPU:

Yea, it's last year's model, but I've found that staying one step short of bleeding edge is often a wise choice.

Edit: Oh, and apologies to @HOA_KSOP . I'm an Intel guy, buddy, since I switched from Commodore to a 286. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that AMD is out there giving Intel the competition. Call it Ford Vs Chevy.

Last edited:
Another water VS air cooling vid.

After this coming Monday, I'll be off for 11 days. I plan to get the build done during that time. I guess I need to make some decisions this week and go ahead and order the CPU, cooler, SSD, and video card.

I'm not going to do an optical drive. Guess I need to do some reading on how to do a Windows install on a blank hard drive. I'm guessing I'll need to boot from a thumb drive.

@Meat Grinder ….. So Doug you must be near make your mind up ? come on tell us what you have decided

The decisions are made, the die is cast, the hounds let slip, the gauntlet is flung, the bagpipes are calling, the Kracken released.

Case:

Power Supply:

CPU:

CPU cooling:

Motherboard:

SSD:

RAM:

32 Gig https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0134EW7G8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GPU:

Last edited:
For those of you with an upcoming build, my super intelligent nephew wasted no time pointing out that I should have ordered an RTX2060 GPU, rather than the 1660. Oh well. Video cards are easy to replace.

Is it too late to cancel that order? Especially if you say you want the upgraded item instead?

It has already shipped. I could return it. Amazon makes it easy. To be honest though, the 1060 is orders of magnitude better than what I am running now (a 680), and should be able to run any current game, and any game released in the next 2 to 3 years, at full settings. A GPU upgrade is something I can do 3 or 4 years from now, and should extend the life of this PC for several more years beyond that. In other words, I ain't gonna sweat it, especially since I tend to play turn based games.

Latest from my nephew, Re: my GPU choice:

"It should be fine. I have a 6gb 1060 and that card benches more than mine. It is close to the 2060 but without ray tracing. Of course few games actually use it yet hence the lack of price drops on the 10 series. "

So there you go. (Like I know what I'm talking about.....)

Latest from my nephew, Re: my GPU choice:

"It should be fine. I have a 6gb 1060 and that card benches more than mine. It is close to the 2060 but without ray tracing. Of course few games actually use it yet hence the lack of price drops on the 10 series. "

So there you go. (Like I know what I'm talking about.....)

I have the same card..works great.

Funny how working a day of overtime (today) can change things. :)

New (?) thing about Amazon returns. It seems I can print a label, package the rejected video card, take it to my local post office, and pay around $9 to ship it back.....OR.....I can just request an e-mail and bring the video card to my local Kohls department store, show them the e-mail on my phone, and hand them the video card (in manufacturer's unopened packaging) without even putting it in a box, and they will return it to Amazon.....for free. Is this really a thing now?

Last edited:
Amazing how working a day of overtime (today) can change things. :)

New (?) thing about Amazon returns. It seems I can print a label, package the rejected video card, take it to my local post office, and pay around $9 to ship it back.....OR.....I can just request an e-mail and bring the video card to my local Kohls department store, show them the e-mail on my phone, and hand them the video card (in manufacturer's unopened packaging) without even putting it in a box, and they will return it to Amazon.....for free. Is this really a thing now?

Yes, it is. I've used it several times and am very happy with how much easier the process has become. According to Kohl's recent financial performance reports, their partnership with Amazon has been good for business. My Kohl's even offers a 25% off discount coupon for any in-store purchases there within seven days of returning the item. (y)

Good to know about Kohls, however I discovered I can do the same thing at my local UPS Store (5 minute drive VS a 25 minute drive to Kohls). I literally took the video card to the UPS store, in the original manufacturer's package, and showed them the return code on my phone. Amazon has already issued a refund. Amazing customer service.

Got my old desk cleaned off this morning. Tomorrow I plan to assemble the new desk (already put the new office chair together last week), and Thursday I plan to start on my new PC build. All parts have been received.

Last edited:
Back