Match Winner
Meat Grinder

Match Loser
Wellsonian

Was the result a Draw? Yes

Combat Mission Version
CM Final Blitzkrieg

Comments on the Battle
This very enjoyable game was the second in a mirror match that Wellsonian and I played with the Americans attacking the Germans (medium size battle) on map 041a2. Weather was flurries and ground condition was patchy snow. Wellsonian won the first game (him playing Yanks) in a rather resounding fashion, so I was determined to go for a win in this one. I planned to spare no lives, either my troops or his, in my push for the VLs.

This map has four VLs, three minor, and one major. My force pick consisted of a mixture of infantry, Hellcats, Easy 8 Shermans, 75mm Shermans, and one 105 Sherman, all Veteran quality. Wellsonian purchased infantry, 2 Hetzers, and a 75mm AT gun (all Veteran and Crack quality). He put the AT gun up on a hill at the extreme far end of the map from me, in almost the same spot that I placed my AT gun in the other game. Game time limit was 1 hour.

I started off the festivities with some turn 1 offboard mortar fire on several spots that I suspected there would be German troops. Perhaps Wellsonian will chime in and tell me how effective (or not) this fire was. I then set about cautiously moving troops and armor forward to clear out the two closest VLs. The Germans had a minor presence in these VLs, but it still took me something like 25-30 turns to clean them out, during which time I took a good number of infantry casualties from mortar fire and lost over half my armor to Hetzer and AT gun fire. His AT gun crew proved highly motivated and resistant to both mortar fire and direct HE fire from my armor. They fought to the last man and it took me many turns to eliminate them.
At this point, I had a lot of open ground to cross to reach the final two VLs, and my biggest worry was those damn Hetzers. I finally decided to take a chance and moved my remaining Hellcats forward to engage. I got lucky and one of my Hellcats spotted the Hetzer on my left flank and took it out with one shot! Luckier still, the Hetzer on my right flank became distracted by some of my nearby infantry and pivoted to engage them, exposing it's flank to my other Hellcat. Boom! The Hetzer threat was eliminated, and I could now advance under *mere* small arms and machine gun fire.

At this point I didn't think my remaining Hellcats would be very useful, as they were out of HE. I did, however have a 75mm Sherman left! I'll call her Lucille, after Negan's bat on the Walking Dead. Unfortunately, I was quickly running out of time. I played Lucille very aggressively on my left flank, taking chances. She went on a rampage, causing 35 enemy casualties with machine gun and HE fire in just a few turns. I was supporting her with a couple squads of infantry that I was trying to move onto the major VL to at least contest it so neither of us would get the points. I sent my Hellcat and most of my remaining infantry against the minor VL on my right flank, which wasn't as heavily defended as the major VL. I was completely out of tricks so I just had to use bounding movement and try to suppress the enemy with MG fire.

Then disaster struck. A lone man with a panzershrek got a side shot on Lucille, immobilizing her. He paid with his life, but the damage was done. Lucille caused a few more casualties after that, then finally succumbed to another shrek hit with almost no time left on the clock. I was able to get one man into the major VL, but he was killed. :(
Things went much better at the minor VL on my right flank, I managed to clear it of Germans, but Wellsonian, being the sneaky bastard he is, managed to run a lone man into the corner of the VL on the last turn of the game, denying me the points. The game went six minutes into overtime. See pictures for the aftermath. In the end, neither side had any kind of fighting force left.

Great game, Wellsonian! Very fun and intense. I think Wellsonian and I have played four games, and this is the best result I've managed so far.

Last edited:

Wellsonian

FGM Company Sergeant Major
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
@Meat Grinder's AAR ia accurate. The unexpected overtime almost did me in, but some deadly fire from my remaining MG helped me hang on to the main objective. I even had to conduct a two man counter attack to clear a sneaky little trooper hiding behind a building on the main objective. He got one, I got him. That was the level of desperation at the end of the battle. The AT crew was the mvp, surviving multiple direct hits to do serious damage to the attacking armor, especially after my left flank Hetzer was flanked, having done very little damage.
On the last remaining minor objective, my squad (+) fought valiantly until ammunition supplies ran out. Then I hid to try and draw Meat Grinder in so they could use grenades. Meat Grinder is too savvy for that, and in the final turns mercilessly gunned them down from a distance :2draw:.
To answer a question, the initial bombardment managed to kill off a team screening forward on my left flank, but that was about it, since I defended back on this map. I essentially had two squads total on the front two minor objectives (learned that trick from @Will S btw).
In the end, Meat Grinder slowly wore through using smart combined arms tactics. I was very fortunate to hang on for the draw. This is the sort of game we always hope for, and it delivered. Thanks to an excellent opponent!

Last edited: