Match Winner
Wellsonian

Match Loser
Buckykatt

Was the result a Draw? No

Combat Mission Version
CMFB

Comments on the Battle

Rubber match game of a three game set. This was a small Meeting Engagement with wellsonian commanding the Waffen SS, and Buckykatt leading the Allies. The small map contained three objectives. The two minor objectives were just outside of our respective deployment areas, and consisted of a small cluster of buildings and trees. The weather was light snow. The major objective ran along a road bisecting the map, i.e. a long thin objective in the middle.
The Waffen SS forces consisted of a company of Gebirgsjager infantry. Support forces were two 81 mm on board mortars and one Tiger (Elite). The allies consisted of what appeared to be a mech infantry company, dismounted other than two M3A1 halftracks. Support forces were mortars and multiple MG teams. Additionally, two TDs were attached, a Jackson and a M18 (maybe a M10...can’t remember).
The battle began with both sides quickly occupying the minor objectives. Then both sides threw left hooks. The Germans sent two platoons and the company HQ to the left, while 3rd platoon went right on a flank protection mission, detailing one squad to protect the Tiger, who basically crawled slowly down the middle, using the wooded areas in the middle for cover. The mortars set up on higher ground with good observation and immediately spotted the Jackson behind a tall hedgerow, covered with one half track. One mortar engaged for the majority of its payload, killing the halftrack gunner and immobilizing the halftrack. The Jackson appeared unaffected. On the American left, a strong infantry push was detected and engages with 3rd platoon, the Tiger, MG fire, and the other mortar. As a result that thrust was stopped with what appeared to be significant casualties. The German main effort on their left was able to cross the middle road and reach the forested area on the Americans side of the map, engaging and driving back defending American MGs and infantry. Once across, they began bounding toward the American held minor objective, slowly pinching toward the middle, The M18 appeared and stalled the push, causing moderate casualties, while American mortar fire continued to,attrit German forces all over the map. Several panzerfaust armed teams made runs at the M18 but were killed or driven back. A Panzershreck team began carefully crawling and dashing toward the TD.
Meanwhile the Jackson had moved to the other side of the minor objective, blocking the Tiger’s progress. They both stayed in cover 300 meters from each other, with the Tiger (and I’m sure the Jackson as well) using a tight armor target arc. With the main American attack on their right defeated, 3rd platoon sent a squad up a wood line toward the American minor objective, in an attempt to dislodge the Jackson. The Tiger and two M42s cleared American infantry in that vicinity. The Jackson retreated behind the buildings and the Tiger advanced.
On the German left (main effort), the Panzerschreck team finally got a shot at the retreating M18. Miss, hit, miss, hit and the TD was knocked out. This cleared the German 1st and 2nd platoon to assault the American objective, This resulted in a nasty little firefight with American infantry in the building, and the Jackson pitching in at close,range against the assault of Germans. The presence of the looming Tiger forced the Jackson to face toward it, and a German team aimed a panzerfaust and let fly! Hitting the.........abandoned M3 halftrack. Gaaaaaa! The possibility of the Tiger rounding around the building still forced the hand of the Jackson, and the Panzerschreck team ran up and knocked out the Jackson, although The Germans wouldn’t know it for one more turn. At this point the Tiger, who did more damage by just being scary, helped mop up.
Excellent and stubborn work was done by @Buckykatt, especially at the end. This was a fun game that was quite unique. At no time did any vehicles fire at each other (other than the Tiger finishing off a Halftrack). Thanks again to a great opponent.

Last edited:

Buckykatt

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
buckykatt1@outlook.com
When the game began I thought the US could gain the upper hand as we had some good luck in the middle. I moved a platoon to my left along with MG support and ran into some tough Germans but spotted the Tiger. @Wellsonian was making a move to my right where I did hit him with some mortar rounds and some decent MG fire thinking that that would be enough to hold off his assault on that side, not so. This was a fun battle with a great opponent, the 3rd of 3 that we have played. I have noticed a signature trend with @Wellsonian over the last 3 games. I will be using that in future battles. Once again fun matches...