Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
Winner wellsonian

Loser Titan

Was The Result A Draw? No

Combat Mission Version CMFB

Comments This was the second of two ladder games. The mission was a German Probe on the Classic Wiltz probe map. @Titan commanded the attacking Germans while wellsonian defended as the Americans.
The Americans defended with a veteran rifle company (B co, 1st Battalion) supported by D company (Weapons). Vehicle support consisted of two assault (105) Shermans and one M18 Hellcat. One platoon was on the left flank hill objective, one platoon and weapons support was situated in Wiltz, and one platoon with the majority of the Weapons support covered the right flank. The Hellcat covered the far right flank fording area, and the Shermans sheltered in Wiltz.
The Germans attacked with what appeared to be 2 plus companies of Infantry supported by artillery. Vehicle support consisted of a King Tiger and a 37mm AA vehicle.The attack plan mirrored very closely the attack plan wellsonian conducted in the first game of this mirrored set, with the majority of the attack coming in on the defender's left flank.
The Americans conducted artillery strikes on the main hill as well as the left flank in an attempt to disrupt the attack. Results were unobserved for the most part. The Germans answered in kind, shelling the right flank and Wiltz positions. The main German push aimed at the left flank on the hill, after they had driven away the light screening squad on the main center hill in a small bloody fight. The majority of the screening squad escaped to join the main defense in Wiltz.
The German push was led by the ominous shape of the King Tiger, and both 105 Shermans took up positions behind buildings, aiming obliquely to the left flank. Once it became clear that this was the only heavy vehicle in support, the M18 quickly repositioned to a similar position.
Heavy fighting erupted on the left flank as the attack went in, initially driving the defending American platoon back, almost off the objective. At that point the M18 got the drop on the oblivious King Tiger and hit the frontal armor about 10 times, with no apparent effect. Luckily, the King Tiger never acquired the Hellcat and backed out of sight.
The Hellcat's relief was short-lived, as multiple 37 mm auto cannon rounds riddled the paper thin armor, taking it out in two bursts. With the hellcat smoldering, the King Tiger advanced once more. This time, an assault 105 Sherman acquired the target, and with the King Tiger's turret turned to engage infantry to the right, put a HEAT round through the left side of the turret, knocking out the tank.
At this point, the Germans were faced with conducting a pure infantry assault with only the AA vehicle and a couple of halftracks in support. They made a game of it for a while, pressing on the original attack, as well as forming an effort on the Americans right flank, but with the armor superiority on the American's side with the two Shermans, both attempts failed, and at the end of the regulation time, all objectives were occupied by the defending Americans. The far left flank objective had a small German presence as well.
Unfortunately for the attacking Germans, the game decided to give us an extra excruciatingly cruel (for the Germans) 15 minutes of overtime (the most I've ever encountered). A quick shuffle of the Shermans and a small counter attack, mainly by fire, drove the Germans off the one contested objective. At the end of the game, the Americans held all objectives.
Titan played a courageous game, but once the King Tiger was destroyed it was an uphill battle. Thanks much to him for another fun and engaging battle.

Titan

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
Email
panzer@xtra.co.nz
Very entertaining AAR! @Titan is a quality player, no doubt bringing his real life military experience onto this virtual battlefield.
Thanks Grinder, Yes a lot of the principles of real life doctrine are applicaple in this game...In fact this game is one of the very few i know of where that's the case probably close combat was the other. I commanded a rifle Section so i can say that with some sort of crediabitly. Which gets me to comment on my perspective ofthis game.

I really hummed and hard about my attack route i was almost going to go hard out on my left flank as it was the least obvious...But the rivers etc and slowesness through the Terrain made me see sense as so much could go wrong and the High chance of bogging etc crossing rivers plus my opponent could easily make life hell trying to push through a narrow forested road and the thought of getting bogged down worried me last thing i needed to happen to my KT. My right flank option was the most obvious but i thought with a king tiger i could dominate some high ground and keep enemy armour honest and some light support vehicles and tad Artillery i might be able to make a pathway for 2 companies of inf. I actually felt rather confident until the King tiger got knocked out. He has two well postioned 105's and my inf just couldnt advance any further without comming into there LOS...I had no choice but to move my Kingtiger forward..It wasnt my first option but i had to do it...I spotted his 105 so i thought my KT would spot it face it and kill it. As you can imagine when i watched it turn its Turret in another direction i just sat there and waited for what i knew would happen, and it did. From then on i had areal challenge trying to advance against those 105's which can shred a inf platoon in no time. I was hoping he might get a little carried away with his kill and would get bullish with his 105's as i was trying to get some Shreck teams into postion for that event..that was what i hoped. But Wellsonian was to composed to have a such a rush of blood i never managed to get one until the end.