Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

NEW WARGAME INCOMING! -> Steel Division Normandy '44

I really liked the LOS tool they implemented (wish we had that in CM) but I couldn't justify laying some dollars down this one. Looks more MP focused and I simply don't have time for that.

Picked this up on the current Steam Sale. Along with Tunisia 43.
Very impressed with the quality of Steel Division. The tutorials are good, graphics very good and the gameplay seems to be workable. Always a bit wary of RTS type games but this one looks like it might be work. Too easy to get overwhelmed with RTS generally speaking.
Tunisia 43 is awkward out of the box, going to take longer to get into that I think.
If you are thinking about a foray into RTS I would recommend the Steel Division route - initial impressions are good.

Picked this up on the current Steam Sale. Along with Tunisia 43.
Very impressed with the quality of Steel Division. The tutorials are good, graphics very good and the gameplay seems to be workable. Always a bit wary of RTS type games but this one looks like it might be work. Too easy to get overwhelmed with RTS generally speaking.
Tunisia 43 is awkward out of the box, going to take longer to get into that I think.
If you are thinking about a foray into RTS I would recommend the Steel Division route - initial impressions are good.

Thank you for mentioning this. I'll have to mull it over more seriously now. Glad you said something.

So is anyone still playing this? I have finally forayed into it and have worked through the tutorials. Leery of the multiplayer until I have played solo a little. Anyone played MP?

Now that some time has passed, how do you find this game is holding up? I'm still on the fence about buying it or not..

The new one that is coming up - Eastern Front, looks much more promising to me. I was about to get Normandy, but quickly skipped it after seeing som Youtube vids of playthroughs.

After I posted, I actually did te same thing - looked at some videos an news about the sequel, and came to the same conclusion. Doesn't seem like a CM killer (unfortunately), but maybe a bit more like a Graviteam game that's easer to get into...

Now that some time has passed, how do you find this game is holding up? I'm still on the fence about buying it or not..

I like the game. Keep in mind that I am still "learning" how to play and I have to say I am only playing skirmishes, but there is more I like than don't like.

What I like...The Phased availability of forces. Hard to manage and hard to master.
Not a ton of complicated commands, mainly hotkeys, and mouse clicks...It Pauses, which in my book makes it "turn-based", much to the consternation of my old friend mTk...(Right T-Man?)

What is not clear to me...why the Germans occasionally get airpower. Not much, but if the Allies had aerial supremacy...just saying...

What I have Not yet learned how to get my guys under cover, outside of getting into a building. Losses seem to accumulate very quickly. I also need to better learn how to manage deployments. My guys get sent in helter-skelter, so I need better management. That's on me,

I have pre-ordered the second game but will continue to play this as well.

I like the game. Keep in mind that I am still "learning" how to play and I have to say I am only playing skirmishes, but there is more I like than don't like.

What I like...The Phased availability of forces. Hard to manage and hard to master.
Not a ton of complicated commands, mainly hotkeys, and mouse clicks...It Pauses, which in my book makes it "turn-based", much to the consternation of my old friend mTk...(Right T-Man?)

What is not clear to me...why the Germans occasionally get airpower. Not much, but if the Allies had aerial supremacy...just saying...

What I have Not yet learned how to get my guys under cover, outside of getting into a building. Losses seem to accumulate very quickly. I also need to better learn how to manage deployments. My guys get sent in helter-skelter, so I need better management. That's on me,

I have pre-ordered the second game but will continue to play this as well.

Thanks. Will add the sequel to my Steam wishlist.

Do you find that tactics matter, or is it more like rock-paper-scissors where you match the right class of weapon with the right kind of enemy?

Thanks. Will add the sequel to my Steam wishlist.

Do you find that tactics matter, or is it more like rock-paper-scissors where you match the right class of weapon with the right kind of enemy?
I think it's a combination of rock paper scissors and tactics. There are fundamental things that work. Mass your forces, preferably in some cover. Have some heavy weapons in support, like MG's and mortars. Move under cover if possible. Fire and move, bound move and if you have tanks, overwatch. Also, keep the supply coming. ( Yes, there are logistics)

I played it for about three weeks solo and I like it. With that said, it takes a little to get used to. Not that many commands to learn. But building a deck takes getting used to, for sure.

But honestly, watch some YouTube “how to” videos or solo and MP replays to assess whether the game engine looks like something you want to handle. I have Eugen’s modern stuff, like this game although I need to dive back in and pre-bought SD2. But it might not be your cuppa so watch some vids.

If you want a taste of Real Time Tactics I think this title is worth the sale price, and if it tickles your fancy, then SD2 would be a cert (seems easier than Tunisia 43). Ended up being a little over-whelmed by it all the first time around. Might have another look.

Check the How to Play page - https://steeldivision.gamepedia.com/Steel_Division_Wiki

It can seem a bit random at first. One of the initial tools to learn is the C key - LOS. If an en unit is spotted and you don't know how, pause, then place your cursor on the en or fr unit and press C. The LOS disk will appear.

Last edited:
From what I've seen of the videos on youtube the gameplay is very rushed. Maximum 40 or 50 minutes to succeed with the mission to either control most of the battlefield area or to kill more enemies than they can kill.

Back