Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Nova combat booklet games from the 80's!

Concord

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I've been doing some major spring cleaning (well, winter here, but I guess the season doesn't matter!) including my office.
Digging deeper and deeper, I've come across some ancient stuff. I found a bag full of A5 size game booklets from when I was a kid.

Lost Worlds fantasy combat book games used booklets to have a fight between characters. Published in the 80's by Nova Games.
They were a clever design, and lots of fun before the age of sparkling computer games.
Each booklet is a different character. You gave your opponent your character's book, so they 'see' you in combat.

They also made a cowboy shooter game, a WW1 bi-plane dogfight one, and others.

Anyone ever see these or play these before? I think I might keep this set...they don't take up much room anyway.
Some pics from the web:

061 cut color small.JPG200px-Lost_Worlds_amulf_of_peth_12.jpg
lw1002cardfront.jpg

@Badger73 it sounds like you are speaking from experience. What things have you regretted throwing away? Games or other items?

I just threw out a bunch of computer games, including my old copies of CMx1 games (probably wouldn't work on Windows 10 anyway).
But I kept a couple of old board games I found (Dragonhunt and Runebound), and a Squad Leader card game called Up Front.

Have to say that it is a refreshing experience clearing house. So much junk accumulated over years.
I am tackling my office section by section, and nothing gets overlooked.

There was a time in my early 20's when I lived in a share house with some buddies.
It was fairly spacious, and each room had games in it.
One room had multiple PC's. Another room had an enormous game of Squad Leader, ongoing.
Yet another room had a WW2 diorama game. It was 2m x 2m in size. Impressive.
Walking through the house was like visiting a games convention haha!

Nice! I need to dig into my "plastic box of ancient cardboard games".
Me to! I have a pile in storage, but Arab Israeli Wars and Blitzkrieg are accessible as is two flavors of Axis and Allies.

As for old computer games, I am working on setting up a Win 98 virtual machine on my Win 10 box. I will probably also set up a virtual machine on my laptop too. Once I have it setup I am going to load some oldies. I already have DOSBOX setup for old DOS games. I will share what I found works once I do it...lol!

Last edited:
Anyone ever play Melee, or Advanced Melee? It had solo adventure modules that were excellent......Search for the Holy Grail, Tower of the Orb, or something like that.....very fun!

Haha yes, I came across those rules books and decided to keep them too, along with a shoe box of Steve Jackson miniatures called Cardboard Heroes.
Played this with friends when I was a kid, and again with my sons a few years back. They are teenagers now and 'above' such things, but not so long ago they enjoyed it heartily. Although much angst when a character would get killed. :)

They look fun @Concord would make a fun game to play over some drinks.

They remind me of GURPS

Ever play the Gurps WWII?

OcLj0L4.jpg

I've been doing some major spring cleaning (well, winter here, but I guess the season doesn't matter!) including my office.
Digging deeper and deeper, I've come across some ancient stuff. I found a bag full of A5 size game booklets from when I was a kid.

Lost Worlds fantasy combat book games used booklets to have a fight between characters. Published in the 80's by Nova Games.
They were a clever design, and lots of fun before the age of sparkling computer games.
Each booklet is a different character. You gave your opponent your character's book, so they 'see' you in combat.

They also made a cowboy shooter game, a WW1 bi-plane dogfight one, and others.

Anyone ever see these or play these before? I think I might keep this set...they don't take up much room anyway.
Some pics from the web:

View attachment 16913View attachment 16914

Yep had this and the WW1 fighter games - quality before computers ruined everything......

Back