Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

On Killing by Lt Col Dave Grossman

D

DoC844

Just recently stumbled across this book and its proving to be a very fascinating read. The book delves in detail into the phsycological triggers and effects of soldiers that kill and in a lot of cases DO NOT kill when in combat. The book is required reading at West Point, Quantico, the DEA, Sandhurst etc. It is a very intriguing book and asks a lot of difficult questions in regards to how humans view killing and how killing has become a taboo subject just like sex was a taboo subject during Victorian times, however this is coupled with the ever increasing fascination with violence in movies and video games, which in turn is believed to be one of the reasons why violent and aggressive crime is on the up.

This is definetly a book worth reading and it is only £6 on kindle.

Thankyou fabished didn't realise he had a second book will have to download that to.

"On Killing" was recommended to me by my Psychiatrist to assist me in understanding my PTSD.
I found it to be an enlightening read. While not a cure, the imparted knowledge does help me understand my malady.
I was fascinated to find out that the modern era training (Boot Camp), has considerably reduced the incidence of soldiers not firing on the enemy.

Thanks all, I will add this book to my (vast) "to read list".

Just a naive question: I read that the initial assessment by Marshall regarding the firing ratio (25% of WW2 soldiers firing at enemy if I recall adequately) had been largely questioned as regard to both methodology and validity. Do you have any other source discussing this topic?

Increased violence, aggression and failure to understand civilized behavior are parenting and social failures. Your parents teach you to share, have regard others feelings and behave in a civilized manner. Studies have shown that young elephants raised without older elephants to guide them develop similar problems. In Vietnam many of the young troops could not bring themselves to fire on the enemy during the first couple of contacts, in some cases even to save themselves. A rifle range or a video game are poor preparation for the over whelming fear and despair of combat. Look at the soldiers that surrender to Isis, knowing that if they surrender they're going to die. Simple logic will not lead you to the answer to this question.

Back