Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Operation Barbarossa - Stupid Idea?

Hi! Quick question...…..if Hitler didn't help out Mussolini in North Africa would the campaign in Russia have gone differently, i.e...capturing Moscow before winter, etc..?

I don't think so, two divisions initially that were sent over N Africa that wouldn't made a difference in Bararossa and secondly the mud slowed down the supply lines that made progress slow towards Moscow regardless if Rommel was in charge of an armoured Division or Corps, douth he'd would have been in charge of corps with Grudierian (think I might have spelt his name wrong) in charge of his corps heading towards Moscow.
Finally, Hitler changed his mind in late summer/early autumn to head south hence slowing the advance towards Moscow.
I think if anything, the invasion of Yugoslavia and Greece stalled the time table of Bararossa by a month hence delaying the advance towards Moscow.

Agree with Nathangun. North Africa was a sideshow for the Germans. Losing a month from their timetables due to Yugoslavia and Greece had a much bigger impact. However even in Barabarossa was launched in May 1941 and assuming the timetables followed the same historical outcome (Germany takes Moscow around November) I don't think it would have made a lick of difference. The Soviets wouldn't of surrendered even if they lost their capital. All their industy was shifting to the urals and their raw resources/manpower was plentiful. They needed time but they weren't out.

Back