Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Panzer Corps Gold

Being a huge fan of the original game when I saw the "Gold" edition had gone on sale Oct '16 it got my attention. Matrix still has it on sale for only $39.99. Not cheap, but wait! Not only has the UI been enhanced along with other tweaks, but this edition includes all of the 13 DLC games! That's basically 14 Panzer Corps games for the price. A whopping great value http://www.matrixgames.com/PanzerCorps-DLC.asp providing endless hours of upgrading your panzers and surrounding Soviet cities.

While it is also available on Steam, they are literally selling it there for twice the price so visit Matrix @
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/647/details/PanzerCorpsGold to get your PC Gold fix. Off to start up a new game. Just have to figure out which one.

Playing through this again. Even though I had already bought it from Matrix a few years ago, I bought it again on Steam for something like $19.99 (for everything) just so I wouldn't have to fool with installing each DLC separately and inputting a different key code each time. Say what you want about Steam, they make everything (from purchasing, to patching) super convenient. I wish BFC could find a way to work with Steam.

It all came back to me pretty quickly. And the AI continues to slap me around. I'm the Axis in No Afrika and have not been able to figure out how to dislodge the British defenders from the dug-in positions in time to win the battle. I need more pioneers, arty and maybe a strategic bomber, but don't have enough resources. Without them it just takes too long do reduce their defenses. Hmm.

I cheat.

The method I use is to give myself extra prestige, usually 70000, at the beginning of the Grand Campaign. This mostly takes care of the pesky supply and reinforcement issues (you still have to be somewhat careful, especially later in the campaign) and allows me to concentrate on kicking ass, er, I mean tactics. This is the only cheat I will allow myself, and it's a one time deal at the beginning of the campaign. I play on "Colonel" difficulty.

The GC is great. Much, much more content than the generic campaign. Some very interesting scenarios also.

Oh, and you won't need the experience bonus in the GC. If you can keep your units intact, they will be max experience before the campaign is half over. Sucks to lose one though....

Did it. Most of No Afrika has fallen to the mighty Axis 5th Division. Won the battle on he last turn.!

And in so doing some memories of victories past came back. One is that it is rare to get a decisive victory any sooner than the 2nd to last turn. The other is that to win one needs to take a small battle group, break through the enemy MLR and bypass enemy units while heading towards the most distant objective(s). You will usually lose if you just try to grind your way there as time is not you friend.

Now I am romping and stomping my way through the concrete outer defenses of Tobruk. Was smart enough to get an extra pioneer and arty unit which have been to good use. Again, it looks close.

And I thought it was only me, as a new player, that was getting my ass kicked. Nice to see this game is actually hard. I got this as my "first" wargame as recommended by a friend who played a lot of Panzer General when he was a kid, and now got this too. Lots of content, although I still haven't interacted with 90% of it due to still being at best, in the first half of the first German campaign, starting the Eastern Front.
This game feels a bit more like a boardgame, akin to chess, sometimes, instead of a military tactics game. How do you guys see that?

Yeah I got this one because it was the "beloved classic" with a ton of content at a cheap price to try everything out if I liked it. Might get PzC2 later, or Order of Battle, or even Unity of Command 2, I'm still not sure.

Back