[PIC GALLERY] WW2 Then & Now

Myles

FGM Sergeant
The Allied reconquest of France. After a series of fierce battles, a combined force of Canadian and Polish troops seize Falaise on 16th August 1944. The photo depicts troops of the Canadian Les Fusiliers Mont-Royal supported by an M4 Sherman tank of the Sherbrooke-Fusiliers during a sniper hunt, 17th August 1944.

Last edited:

Myles

FGM Sergeant
Sherman tank and Sherman Firefly of the British Army roll through Escoville during Operation Goodwood. Operation Goodwood was a British offensive in the Second World War, that took place between 18 and 20 July 1944 as part of the Battle for Caen in Normandy, France.

Myles

FGM Sergeant
East of Littry in Normandy, a 4.7 cm Pak (t) Panzerkampfwagen 35r(f) abandoned on the side of the road. It is a Czech antitank gun mounted on a French Renault tank chassis, this vehicle belonging to Schnelle Abteilung 517 of 716 Infantry Division. 20th June, 1944.

Zinzan

FGM Lieutenant
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
zinzan1963@googlemail.com
British tankers aboard a Sherman Firefly celebrate the capture of Le Beny-Bocage, Normandy, 1 August, 1944. And the very same spot today.

Nice, not a lot of chage to house but more buildings in background.

As an aside: We tend to overetimate how densely packed urban areas were during WWII. Many villages and towns (esp in rural areas) have grown hugely esp at cost of open areas IN towns.

(This has continued apace - I know of one market town in UK that has tripled population and reduced open spaces in town centre by nearly 50% in last 30 years.)

Myles

FGM Sergeant
Nice, not a lot of chage to house but more buildings in background.

As an aside: We tend to overetimate how densely packed urban areas were during WWII. Many villages and towns (esp in rural areas) have grown hugely esp at cost of open areas IN towns.

(This has continued apace - I know of one market town in UK that has tripled population and reduced open spaces in town centre by nearly 50% in last 30 years.)
Wow. Definitely. Totally agree. And going by some of the old WW2 photos, I get the impression that in the towns and maybe even cities at that time, there was still a rural feel as well: horses and carts, cows and chickens wandering around, a slower pace. And in a lot of cases the roads look the same as the roads in the countryside. But yes, I imagine a lot changed in the post war years. Yes, people everywhere.

Thanks Zinzan, appreciated.

Happy New Year to you.

Myles

FGM Sergeant
Excellent your contributions to this thread, dear @Myles.
No doubt is my favorite thread, and it seems that yours too !
Thanks very much Louis. Much appreciated Sir.

It is my favorite thread, yes! And I quite like the whole process of making these pics, it's actually educational for me in some ways. And just seeing where this epic time in history took place, well, it's moving in many respects as I'm sure we can relate.

Thanks again Louis and a Happy New Year to you.

And keep up the great work!

Myles

FGM Sergeant
The Battle of Singapore, also known as the Fall of Singapore, was described by the British prime minister, Winston Churchill, as the 'worst disaster' in British military history, with about 80,000 British, Indian, and Australian troops becoming prisoners of war. The fighting in Singapore lasted from 8 to 15 February 1942, although this was preceded by two months of British resistance as Japanese forces advanced down the Malaya peninsula.

The photo shows Australian anti-tank gunners manning a 2 Pounder anti-tank gun, overlooking the Johor Causeway between Singapore and Malaya.

Myles

FGM Sergeant
Of the 48 civilians killed as a result of the Pearl Harbor attack, the number killed by friendly fire varies from 33 to 37, as unexploded American anti-aircraft shells landed and then exploded in residential areas. 32 of those killed were in Honolulu.

7 December, 1941. Destruction at the intersection of King and McCully streets, Honolulu.