Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[PIC GALLERY] WW2 Then & Now

Same photo.

Noticed but assumed this was some sort of satire/political commentary on the town concerned. <insert irony mode> Warning @Hub6actual Politics NOT allowed, (humour is though.) <end irony mode. begin lithium mode>.

I gotta admit I have enjoyed thinking up several scenarios where such a town could remain unchanged over such a period - think Mafia retirement, CIA/FBI/Witness Protection retirement town, Vampires rule the area, sorcerers/witches, Special forces training town, alien experiments etc.

Warsaw, Sept 17, 1939: The Royal Castle was shelled by German artillery. And June 2018, after reconstruction.
3QqF3Aj.jpg

wuPp5VF.png

Is them veterans? :unsure: - Anyone heraebouts know.

I saw the gear, caualness, weapons, body language & facial expressions; made me think it's either that or they are about to go into the front very soon. - (He's being whimsical/thoughtful today. Hmmmmm :) )

US troops parade through Cherbourg on the July 14, 1944, to mark the liberation of the city.

@Zinzan They are not veterans, it is the parade in Place de la Republique. Here you have another angle of that moment: Crowds cheer jubilantly as American troops who liberated Cherbourg, march through the Place de la Republique.
9XHEMzX.jpg

Although I can not specify the correct date. Some images say of July 14 and others of June 27. :confused:

In front of City Hall Cherbourg (now Place de la Republique). An American detachment makes the honors are present elements of the 4th, 9th and 79th US ID ....
Photo taken June 27, 1944, minutes before 16:00, at which time the Shift happens. Gen. J. Lawton Collins, commander of VII Corps. Ceremony (very short) to celebrate the liberation of the city with the mayor of Cherbourg.
9KuiSjd.jpg

@Zinzan They are not veterans,
Possible (likely) misunderstanding (/mispeaking bu Zinzan) Alert! - Sorry.

By veterans I meant troops that had been recently fighting in or near the city - I would assume that a later victory parade would be made with dress uniforms and Bright bansa, Military police etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back