Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Pvt. Bernard Steenwyk - US Army, 6 February 1945

Rambler

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
71 years ago one of my relatives was killed in action during the heavy fighting for Zig-Zag Pass, Luzon, Philippines on 6 February 1945. His name, as the title says, was Bernard Steenwyk. He served with Company L, 152nd Infantry Regiment, 38th Infantry Division "Cyclone," later dubbed the "Avengers of Bataan" by Gen. MacArthur. He was born on July 8, 1920 and grew up on a farm near Hudsonville, Michigan. He was one of nine kids, five sisters and three other brothers, and was engaged to be married. He entered the service on 25 August 1942. He went through his initial training at Camp Wheeler, located near Macon, Georgia. Upon completion, he was stationed at Camp Carrabelle (Camp Gordon Johnston), near the Gulf coast city of Carrabelle, Florida, training in amphibious warfare. It was there he was officially assigned to the 152nd Infantry Regiment, 38th Infantry Division. In December '42/January '43, he and his division left for Hawaii, where they provided ground defense on Oahu for a year and a half. In July '44, the division sailed for New Guinea, and on 6 December 1944 he and his division arrived in the Philippines, at Leyte, where they participated in clearing the Japanese off of several airstrips. Pvt. Steenwyk performed his last amphibious landing on 29 January 1945 where he took part in the operation to recapture the Bataan peninsula. Here are a few informational resources on the battle in which he was killed:
Wiki
Divisional Historical Report on the Operation

He is interred in the Manila American Cemetery.

This is the cover and inside spread of the small memorial card given out at his memorial service here in the states.

bern_cover.jpg

bern_spread.jpg

This is one of his letters home written to his sister. He was at Camp Carrabelle in Florida when this was penned.

bern_letter.jpg Letter courtesy of Heritage Hall, Calvin College

This is his last letter, written two weeks and five days before his death.

bern_last_letter.jpg
Letter courtesy of Heritage Hall, Calvin College

Here is the notice the family received confirming Bernard's death, along with a letter from his commanding officer describing the circumstances in which he was killed.

bern_notice_1.jpg

bern_notice_2.jpg
Letters courtesy of Heritage Hall, Calvin College

This is a copy of his internment record at the Manila American Cemetery, Philippines.

bern_grave_card.jpg
Courtesy of Heritage Hall, Calvin College

This is Pvt. Steenwyk's headstone today. Several months ago a coworker of mine went to Manila to visit the cemetery. I told him I had a relative buried there, and asked him to take a picture of the headstone if he had time. It turned out that he did, and he took a bunch of pictures. He notified the cemetery staff before he visited that he'd like to visit that grave and why, and they actually put a small American flag in front the headstone to identify which one it was. They also rubbed a temporary dark material into the headstone's carved letters for contrast so that it would show up clearly in photographs. I'm especially grateful for the time my coworker and the cemetery staff spent so that my family can have these photographs of Pvt. Bernard Steenwyk's grave.

bern_grave.jpg

Great story Rambler. And Bernard Steenwyck sounds way to Dutch for me mate so you have Dutch roots???

Steenwyk (Steenwijk) is a town in the north of Holland)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing this story and memories of the past.

Y'all are very welcome, and I'm glad you found his story interesting. It wasn't until late last year that, through talking with relatives, I was able to track down a lot of the letters he wrote home. Reading them has really made him come to life.

@Dutch Grenadier - Sure do. My family is all Dutch on both sides. The Steenwyk side immigrated to the US from Groningen somewhere. The original spelling of their last name was like the town, Steenwijk (you can see that's how his mother's last name is spelled on the internment record). I'm not sure when they changed the ij to a y, but they probably did to try make it easier for their fellow Americans to pronounce. Anyway, Bernard was part of the first generation born here in the states.

Last edited:
A lot of dutch people migrated to Michigan during the 19th century. Even doctor Pol went there:p

Back