Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Pvt. Henry Steenwyk - US Army, 20 March 1945

Rambler

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Seeing as today is Memorial Day here in the States, a time when we remember those in our armed forces who made the ultimate sacrifice, I thought I'd finish a story I started two years ago. I previously posted about my relative Pvt. Bernard Steenwyk who was killed in action in the Battle of Zig-Zag Pass, Luzon, Philippines on 6 February 1945. Here is a link to his thread.

One of his older brothers, Henry "Hank" Steenwyk, also enlisted and served during World War II. He was assigned to Company C, 309th Infantry Regiment, 78th Infantry Division "Lightning". He was born on 10 March 1916, and grew up on his family's farm near Hudsonville, Michigan. He was one of nine kids, five sisters and three other brothers, and was married to Ethel Brower Steenwyk. He entered the service on 9 July 1943. Unlike Bernard Steenwyk, I don't have much information on where Henry did his training, nor am I sure when he was assigned to the 78th Infantry Division. Based on his entry date, I assume he was with the 78th when they embarked for the ETO on 14 October 1944. The 78th arrived in England on 25 October, moved to France on 22 November, Tongeren, Belguim on 27 November, and Roetgen, Germany on 7 December 1944 to prepare for combat. Elements of the 78th entered combat along the Siegfried Line on 11 December, with the whole division engaged by 13 December. During the Battle of the Bulge, they were able to hold their ground along the northern edge of the salient despite vicious fighting. On 30 January 1945, the division attacked, capturing Kesternicht, Schmidt, and the Schwammanauel Dam over the next few days. The 78th crossed the Rhine River in early March at Remagen, and expanded the bridgehead by capturing Honef and cutting a portion of the Autobahn on 16 March. On 20 March 1945, the 1st Battalion, which included Henry's 309th Infantry Regiment, was tasked with taking the towns of Frankenforst, Vinxel, Olinghoven and Stieldorf, Germany. It was during this assault that Pvt. Henry Steenwyk was killed in action. I haven't been able to find out in which engagement he was killed, but I know for certain that C Company was engaged in fighting at Frankenforst and Stieldorf. Below are several links that provide first hand accounts of those battles by other members of C Company. Henry could have been killed in any one of them:

The Battle for Frankenforst
Rough Start for C-Company at Frankenforst
Stieldorf

Pvt. Henry Steenwyk is buried in Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery, located in Belgium, in Plot E, Row 3, Grave 31.

Here is the AAR for 20 March 1945 that details the division's actions for that day.

20Mar45_AA-Report1.jpg20Mar45_AA-Report2.jpg

This is the C Company morning report for 21 March 1945 that lists Henry as, at the time, missing in action. You can find his name among four others on the right hand side. The entry below the names reads "These 4 enlisted men duty to MIA in Germany as of 20 March 45 (not dropped from assignment)." From my understanding, these reports were filed each morning, and the way to read them is that the events happened the day prior.

20-21Mar45_MorningReport_C309th.jpg

This is the cover and inside spread of the small memorial card given out at his memorial service here in the states.

hank_cover.jpg

hank_spread.jpg

Upon learning of the death of Bernard in the Philippines, their younger brother Ben wrote a letter to Henry informing him that Bernard had died. Henry never received it. Here is the first page of the letter and the envelope.

2-10BentoHank1.jpg

2-10BentoHank2.jpg
Letter courtesy of Heritage Hall, Calvin College

This is a copy of Henry's internment record at the Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery, Belgium.

Steenwyk_Henry.jpg
Courtesy of Heritage Hall, Calvin College

And finally, a picture of his headstone.

56285844_132336383701.jpg

Thus ends to story of two brothers, both of whom gave their lives in service of our country half a world apart and never returned home.

steen.jpg
Bern (left) and Hank (right)

Last edited:
Back