Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Question of the Day #13

A couple things IMO on this question...

1) I believe the Allies would have had to attemp to attack Italy from Southern France via Corsica and Sardinia ( I believe they had plans for invasions of those called Operation Firebrand and Operation Brimstone).. then work there way into southern Italy, no way where they going through the Alps..

2) The Axis forces would have probably gone through Syria into Turkey and what is now Georgia to attack Southern Russia (A fourth Front, to go with Barbarossa) and since Romania was an Allied to the Axis I believe the rest of the Mediterranean would have fallen (Greece, Turkey, etc.)

3) The Question would be Saudi Arabia would the Axis have gotten their hands on more oil...

4) The Italians would have been in the war longer

But in the end I believe the might of Russia and the Western Allied Forces would have prevailed, but it might have extended the war a few years

1. Definitely would have kept Italy in the war for longer.
2. Definite loss of Malta leading to Med being Axis lake - frees up U-Boats for battle of Atlantic & Aircraft Squadrons for Barbarossa.
3. Italians would be capable of occupying N.Africa and thereby free up more German Divisions for Barbarossa.
4. Loss of Suez leads to Major supply problems for the UK - Supplies and manpower from Pacific colonies would have to be sent via Cape of Good Hope. Increases time taken and losses.
5. S.African, Indian & ANZAC losses could be severe (assumming didn't escape to South (Sudan etc)) Possible would not be replaced by colonies.
6. Threat of invasion via Middle East and into southern russia would cause Soviets to strengthen garrisons there - weakening Western front.
7. Turkey "might" have moved closer to axis - allowing trade and transport through their terroitory - easing supply issues into Southern Russia as Barbarossa progressed.
8. Defeat could have encouraged more anti-British feeling in middle East and India - thereby weakening British trade and resolve.

Overall - Would have been a disaster for Britain if not the Allies

Back