Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Questions about the first CM game to buy

A

AlessandroW

Hi all,

I'm playing the Final Blitzkrieg demo game and I'm having lot of fun even if I'm not sure what I'm doing with my pixeltroops!

Obviously I'm sold but before to buy my first game I'd like to have some advices:

1) PC Specs:
I'm going to buy a new laptop and these are the main specs:
Core i7 8750H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4 GB GDDR5
Are enough to run CM with the best settings?
I'm not sure if is more important the CPU/RAM or the graphic card.

2) Which game to buy first
I know it is a totally subjective preference but I'd like to read your suggestions with a little explanation if possible :)
I want a WWII game and all titles look good to me therefore I'm having problems to choice which one to buy first.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Alessandro, WELCOME to the Few Good Men! :)

PC/Laptop: I'm playing CM on nearly the same machine (PC) like the one that you are going to buy and I'm running the game with the highest/best settings
on 2560 x 1600 resolution without any problems - graphic card easily provides 59 / 60 FPS (frames per second).

BUT: I wished I had more RAM because when I'm working on my self-made maps in 4000 x 4000 meters, it takes a wee bit too long until it's loaded.
My next machine will have 32 GB RAM for sure.

CM title: You are an addict now and you will have to buy them all. That's for sure! ;) Enjoy!

CPU is the big hangups in the CM series. Multicore is not current supported in most CM functions

As far as what to get each games series feels different
Sun baked Sicily leading to the snows and mountains of Italy
Big kitties flat terrain and forest and marshes ...CMRT
Feeling cold and damp from rain snow and mud....CMFB
CMBN...bocage to rolling terrain and villages to the flat terrain of the Netherlands
The most content available with base game 2 modules, a battle pack and a vehicle pack

All my humble opinion of course!

@Shorker Thanks, I will ask if I can increase the RAM without too much extra then.

@Abbasid111 Wow, therefore a top notch CPU is not needed at all.
According to your description is the CMFI game the most various? Surely a title with different units, terrains and tactical situations will be my favourite choice.

One thing I have understood the more I play these games is that variation is not always obvious in so that all forces play differently and if you treat Italian units like German then you are asking for trouble.

FB is the most polished out of the box and has a great variety to it.
BN has by far the most content but some of it might not have aged well given that it was made with the engine in early stages.
RT, to me when modded looks the best, and it has the IS-2 - do I need to say more ;)
FI, with the soon upcoming module, will have by far most factions to play with and a wide variety of scenery as well. Maybe your home country has some extra appeal too? It is a game I would like the community to give some more love to, both scenarios and mods, but oh well....

Take all the demos for a spin, check out some Youtube-vids like the excellent @Josey Wales and @Hapless (his channel is "Usually Hapless") for example.

1) PC Specs:
I'm going to buy a new laptop and these are the main specs:
Core i7 8750H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4 GB GDDR5
Are enough to run CM with the best settings?
I'm not sure if is more important the CPU/RAM or the graphic card.
Yeah that is a better rig than mine and I play on the best settings - I don't get the great frame rates that @Shorker pulls off but I don't need much. I think you will be happy with that. One thing to remember is that you want to run the gam on the 1050 GPU not on the motherboard's cheap GPU. On many notebooks you have to take steps to have particular programs run on the better GPU. You will be #sad if CM plays on the built in GPU.

BUT: I wished I had more RAM because when I'm working on my self-made maps in 4000 x 4000 meters, it takes a wee bit too long until it's loaded.
My next machine will have 32 GB RAM for sure.
While I would never want to dissuade any one from getting more memory I will point out that CM is a 32 bit program and therefore each game running cannot use more then 4Gb of memory at a time.

CM title: You are an addict now and you will have to buy them all. That's for sure! ;) Enjoy!
Indeed a likely outcome

@Shorker Thanks, I will ask if I can increase the RAM without too much extra then.

@Abbasid111 Wow, therefore a top notch CPU is not needed at all.
According to your description is the CMFI game the most various? Surely a title with different units, terrains and tactical situations will be my favourite choice.
No you want a fast CPU. Yes, the multi threading capabilies are not helpful for CM but the clock speed is. So, if you have to choose between a slower clock speed with better threading capabilities or a faster clock speed and not as much threading support take the faster clock speed.

CMFI ,with the upcoming module, will cover from the initial invasion of Sicily in 1943 until wars end
US, Commonwealth, Germans, and of course Italians, along with host of minor countries .
Might be a nice choice but of course it is up to you

@rocketman Thanks for the youtubers!
Downloading the CMFI demo game right now, anyhow reading your comment it seems that this title is less played respect the others, is it correct?

@A Canadian Cat Good point about memory size, a 32GB RAM is not helping anyway to load bigger maps then.
I think this laptop is perfectly fine for my requirements.

@Abbasid111 I think now the choice will be among CMFB and CMFI :)

I guess the Italian campaign historically speaking isn't the one people are most interested in, so that's why there is less community content for it rather than that the game itself is "worse". And then, for some, it is their favourite. I think the new module will spark some more interest in it overall. Personally, I love the variety in it, the dramatic terrain and the forces available.

Thanks for the feedbacks!

Btw, I just noticed that Battlefront's store CMFI bundle says:
"Get all of the Combat Mission Fortress Italy content in one product at one time at one low price! No additional purchases necessary. IMPORTANT: At this time this Bundle is available as Pre-order."

Question is: Can I download the base game+Gustav Line or everything is on hold until Rome to Victory will be released?

I have not looked at the big bundle but I am sure if you purchase the big bundle CMFI now you would be able to play the base game and Gustav Line module immediately and only have to wait on new module
But I will have to check

I play all the CM series on a laptop as well
No problems and I have been using the same laptop for 3+ years

For a first game, I would buy either CMFI or CMFB (assuming you want WW2). While CMBN is the grandaddy of CM2, the built in quick battle maps suck. You can download better ones, but, IMO, CMFI and CMFB are just "better" overall. CMRT is my least favorite WW2 CM game. Not quite sure why.

For a while I stopped to play CM demo and unfortunately no new laptop for me...
Ah...the old days without family and job where your only problem was in which club to end the night :ROFLMAO:

Anyhow I just bought the CM FB, download + Manual + Disk (a little vintage, I know).
In few days I will be ready for my first PBEM!

Back