Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Quotes

P

PoorOldSpike

"The noblest search is the search for excellence"
-Pres Lyndon B. Johnson

"Tell the Vietnamese they've got to draw in their horns or we're going to bomb them back into the Stone Age"
-USAF Gen.Curtis LeMay, 1964

"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones"
-Albert Einstein

"There is no more noble occupation in the world than to assist another human being, to help someone succeed"
-Alan Loy McGinnis (1933-2005)

"Luck has a peculiar habit of favoring those who don't depend on it"
-Anon

"War is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy"
-Bart Simpson

"Sergeant, if my troops have to stand in line out here in the rain, i'll stand here too"
-New Battalion commander Col. Norman Schwarzkopf joins the chow line, Nam 1969

"My Christian faith is my backbone"
-Bear Grylls

"Do not rejoice in his defeat you men,
For though you put the b*stard down,
The bitch that bore him is on heat again"
-Berthold Brecht 1898-1956 (on the next tyrants to inevitably come along)

"America rules the world! How can America let Saddam do this to us?"
-Bewildered Kurd villager on TV pointing at his wrecked village after a visit by Saddams helo gunships after Op Desert Storm 91

"Ersten rein und Letzten raus!" (First in, last out)
-Motto of 5th SS Pz Div 'Wiking'

"When I look round to see how we can win the war I see that there is only one sure path...and that is absolutely devastating, exterminating attack by very heavy bombers from this country upon the Nazi homeland"
-Winston Churchill July 1940

"To be a leader means to be able to move masses"
-Adolf Hitler

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done research on... The bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives"
-Adm. William D. Leahy advising Pres. Truman on the atomic bomb 1944

"Struggle is the father of all things, virtue lies in blood, leadership is primary and decisive"
-Adolf Hitler

"OBSERVED:- Enemy motorcyclist despatch rider
ACTION:- Called in 6 81mm mortar rounds on him
RESULT:- Rider accelerated away"
-British Artillery observers log entry, Italy

"What does it matter if somebody orbits the sun a few more times than somebody else?"
-Medal of Honor winner Audie Murphy on life and death

"I'm coming down!"
-Erwin Rommel's stock phrase on radio from his Storch observation plane warning slack commanders on the ground that he was landing to reprimand them

"Nothing is so good for the morale of the troops as occasionally to see a dead general"
-Field Marshal Slim

"Their T-34 was the best tank in the world"
-Field Marshal von Kleist

"I was glad we were killing them"
-Winston Churchill (describing his feelings as a child during the Zulu War)

"The soldier tired of wars, alarms, forswears the clang of hostile arms and scorns the spear and shield. But if the brazen trumpet sound, he burns with conquest to be crown'd, and dares again the field"
-Thomas Augustine Arne 1710-1778

"I have a rendezvous with Death at some disputed barricade...
And to my pledged word am true,
I shall not fail that rendezvous"
-Alan Seeger (US poet killed in WW1)

"I must follow them. I am their leader"
-Andrew Law Bonar (British politician 1858-1923)

"I have a high art, I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me"
-Archilocus (Greek mercenary 650 BC)

"Give me 26 lead soldiers and I will conquer the world"
-Benjamin Franklin (1705-1790) on the power of the 26 alphabet letters of a printing press

"Hopefully the Zulus might put up another show"
-bored young officer Winston Churchill

"It is an exhilarating experience to be shot at- and missed!"
-Sandhurst cadet Winston Churchill under fire from revolutionaries during attachment to Cuban army

"The Black Hills are MINE, we want no white men here!"
-Sioux Chief Crazy Horse

"It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop"
-Confucius (551 BC-479 BC)

"There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. "
Nigel Powers

"I like to picture Jesus as a figure skater. He wears like a white outfit, and He does interpretive ice dances of my life's journey."
Cal Naughton Jr.

"I have a belly full of white dog crap in me, and now you lay this **** on me?"
Brennan Huff

"File sent....prepare to meet your demise!"
Lord Bane

"I've taken control of this area"
-FGM boss Bootie, decisively stepping in to lick an FGM section into shape

"The safest road to hell is the gradual one, the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts"
-C.S.Lewis (1898-1963)

"We will pass through the American patrols, past their sonar nets and lay off their largest city, and listen to their rock and roll while we conduct missile drills"
-Capt. Ramius (Sean Connery in Hunt for Red October)

"Walk softly and carry an armored tank division, I always say"
-Col. Nathan R. Jessep (Jack Nicholson) in A Few Good Men

"Surprise is essential in military operations, so we'll surprise the enemy by not going"
-Rowan Atkinson as crackpot mercenary leader in TV comedy sketch

"Today will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Kenobi, it will soon see the end of the Rebellion"
-Darth Vader

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out anyway"
-Decca Records rejecting The Beatles, 1962

"Luck is not something you can mention in the presence of self-made men"
-E.B. White

"I buried a small crucifix in the snow on the summit of Everest as our expedition leader John Hunt had asked me to"
-Edmund Hillary

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
-Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

"To have the United States at our side was to me the greatest joy. Now at this very moment I knew the United States was in the war, up to the neck and in to the death.
So we had won after all!...Hitler's fate was sealed. Mussolini's fate was sealed. As for the Japanese, they would be ground to powder"
-Churchill (after Pearl Harbor)

"The main thing in life is to have good men around you"
-Fieldmarshal Friedrich von Paulus

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

"It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it"
-Gen Douglas MacArthur

"Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern!" (Punch with your fist and not with spread fingers)
-Gen H. Guderian

"The most important single ingredient in the formula of success is knowing how to get along with people"
-Franklin Roosevelt

"Fighter pilots fall into two broad categories: those who go out to kill and those who, secretly, desperately, know they are going to get killed—the hunters and the hunted"
-Gen Nathan F. Twining, USAF

"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

"In my dreams I hear again the crash of guns, the rattle of musketry, the strange, mournful mutter of the battlefield"
-Gen Douglas MacArthur

"Once armoured formations are out on the loose they must be given the green light to the very end of the road"
-Gen H. Guderian

"I was happy in the midst of dangers and inconveniences"
-Daniel Boone

Friend:- "Do you regret not being tall and strong?"
Henri Toulouse-Lautrec:- "Two more glasses of this [cognac] and I will be"

"War is delightful to those who have not experienced it"
-Desiderius Erasmus (1466-1536)

"I attribute my success on the battlefield to always being on the spot to see and do everything for myself"
-Duke of Wellington

"Young Hamlet, he that is mad, and sent into England...twill not be seen in him there, for there the men are as mad as he"
-Gravedigger

"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?"
-Harold Warner of Warner Brothers, makers of silent movies, 1927

"True nobility is exempt from fear"
-Marcus Tullius Cicero, 50 BC

"Except these Mohammedans repented they would go straight to perdition some day. And they never repent, they never forsake their paganism. This thought calmed me, cheered me"
-a half-joking Mark Twain (on visit to Egypt when he and other tourists were roughly helped to the top of a pyramid by money-hungry muslim guides impatient to get to their next customers)

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value"
-Marshal Ferdinand Foch

"At my signal, unleash hell"
-Maximus in 'Gladiator'

"Great leaders are almost always great simplifiers who can cut through argument, debate and doubt, to offer a solution everybody can understand"
-Gen. Colin Powell

"We need to destroy, not attack, not damage, not surround. I want to destroy the Republican Guard"
-General H. Norman Schwarzkopf

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a 2 million dollar missile at a 10 dollar empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive"
-George W. Bush

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
-George Orwell

"A person without a sense of humour is like a wagon without springs, it's jolted by every pebble on the road"
-Henry Ward Beecher

"Whoever should wish to seize Vietnam must kill us to the last man"
-Ho Chi Minh

"The great secret of the successful fool is that he's no fool at all"
-Isaac Asimov

"Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns..you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall"
-Jack Nicholson (Col. Nathan T. Jessep in Few Good Men)

"You ain't going nowhere, son. You ought to go back to driving a truck"
-Jim Denny, manager of the Grand Ole Opry to Elvis Presley 1954

"If somebody says something ain't a clear-cut black and white thing, I say Why the hell not?"
-John Wayne

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership. Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it"
-General Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Above all, I shall see to it that the enemy will not be able to drop any bombs...No enemy bomber can reach the Ruhr. If one reaches the Ruhr, my name is not Goering. You may call me Meyer"
-Hermann Goering Sept 1939

"Already, only twenty-three minutes after the attack had started, Cologne was ablaze from end to end, and the main force of the attack was still to come"
-Group Captain Leonard Cheshire, VC, RAF Bomber Command

"The engine of a tank is as much a weapon as its gun"
-Gen H. Guderian re mobile warfare

"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way"
-General George S. Patton

"Hitler was angry that the PzIII had only been fitted with the short 50mm gun by the tank factories and not the long version as he had ordered"
Gen. H.Guderian

"I completely lack the bombers capable of round-trip flights to New York with a 4.5-tonne bomb load. I would be extremely happy to possess such a bomber which would at last stuff the mouth of arrogance across the sea"
-Hermann Goering 1938 (giving go-ahead for development of an 'Amerikabomber')

"You see they're all against you, so I can't agree either"
-Hitler (siding with the army Generals who wanted to keep their Stugs despite Guderian wanting control of them)

"That's what I need! That's what I want to have!" Hitler (to Guderian at Kummersdorf tank demonstration 1933)

"The outstanding thing was how bloody good we were at night. With a slight bit of moon we could put a glider anywhere you wanted, simply because of practice"
-Horsa glider pilot Staff Sgt Jim Wallwork about his Pegasus Bridge landing

"The Republican Guard divisions outside of Baghdad are now dead. I find it interesting when folks say we're softening them up. We're not softening them up, we're killing them"
-Lt. Gen. Michael Moseley USAF, 5 April 2003

"Son, horses are like women, we have ter do their thinking for 'em"
-John Wayne film line to young cavalryman

"Kill anything with more than two legs"
-Lt Rasczak, Starship Troopers

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within"
-Josef Stalin

"I ordered the sinking of the Belgrano because it was threatening our Task Force"
-Margaret Thatcher 1982

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home"
-Ken Olson, president of Digital Equipment Corp, makers of big business mainframe computers,1977

"I have two books at my bedside, the Marine Code of Conduct and the King James Bible. The only proper authorities I'm aware of are my Commanding Officer Colonel Nathan R. Jessep and the Lord our God"
-Lt Kendrick (Kiefer Sutherland) in 'A Few Good Men'

"Never give a woman a loaded gun"
-John Waynes advice for a long and happy marriage

"There is nothing sweeter than to be an old man who has fought for his country"
-Master Gunnery Sgt Rogers, USMC

"I deserved my good luck"
-Margaret Thatcher

"How many divisions has the Pope?"
-Josef Stalin (when his aides said the Pope might object to his way of doing things)

"The attack begins in the factory"
-WW2 saying to inspire Brit and US tank/aircraft/armaments workers

"The more you use [tanks], the fewer you lose"
-Brit tank cmdr Col Cyril Joly

"Once you have flown a Spitfire, it spoils you for all other fighters. Every other aircraft seems imperfect in one way or another"
-Lt Colonel William R Dunn. USAAF

"Forget it"
-Duty officer Lt. K.Tyler to Pearl Harbor radar operators who picked up a large incoming blip, Dec 7th 1941

"Thank you madame, but I intend to attack them"
-Maj. Ian Fenwick SAS in reply to a frenchwoman who warned him the Germans had set an ambush up the road, France 1944. (he was killed in the ensuing fight)

"The breadbaskets [slang for bundles of incendiaries and target marker flares] looked quite pretty floating down in the night sky"
-Marjorie (POS's mother) under Luftwaffe air attack, Leicester, England 1940

"At 2 a.m. I directed two hard punches at the 'hinges' of the final break-out area. That finished the battle"
-Montgomery defeats the Afrika Korps at Alamein

"Hitler left the stadium rather than have to congratulate Owens on his victory"
-New York Times (reporting black American Jesse Owens 100 metres victory at Berlin Olympics 1936)

"Because you go into battle sitting down"
-Peter Ustinovs reply to Brit WW2 tank officer selection board when they asked him why he wanted to join the tanks. (They rejected him)

"England is a nation of shopkeepers"
-Napoleon Bonaparte

"If it had not been for you English I would have been Emperor of the East, but wherever there is water to float a ship we are sure to find you in our way"
-Napoleon to British naval captain

"True warriors are fierce because their training is fierce" -Miyamoto Musashi (Samurai, 1584-1645)

"A true man hates no one"
-Napoleon Bonaparte

"What, sir, would you make a ship sail against the wind and currents by lighting a bonfire under her deck? I pray you, excuse me, I have not the time to listen to such nonsense"
-Napoleon Bonaparte, when told of Robert Fulton's steamboat

"Ces terribles chevaux gris!" (Those terrible grey horses!)
-Napoleon seeing the charge of the Scots Greys at Waterloo

"To throw bombs from an airplane will do as much damage as throwing bags of flour. It will be my pleasure to stand on the bridge of any ship while it is attacked by airplanes"
-Newton Baker, US minister of defense (1921)

"Never do an enemy only a small injury"
-Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527)

"23 March- Blizzard bad as ever--tomorrow last chance--must be near the end. We shall march for the depot with or without our effects and die in our tracks"
-One of the final diary entries by Robert Scott, Antarctica 1912

"Just make up your mind at the very outset that your work is going to stand for quality, that you are going to stamp a superior quality upon everything that goes out of your hands, that whatever you do shall bear the hall-mark of excellence"
-Orison Swett Marden 1850-1924

"God bless you"
-Neil Armstrong in TV broadcast from Apollo 11 thanking the spacecraft builders and technicians

"Who is the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?"
-Obi-Wan Kenobi

"We,with Allah's help,call on every Muslim who believes in Allah and wishes to be rewarded to comply with Allah's order to kill the Americans and plunder their money wherever and whenever they find it. We also call on Muslim ulema, leaders, youths, and soldiers to launch the raid on Satan's U.S. troops and the devil's supporters allying with them, and to displace those who are behind them so that they may learn a lesson"
-Osama Bin Laden, Feb 1998

"Hostility toward America is a religious duty and we hope to be rewarded for it by Allah. I am confident that Muslims will be able to end the legend of the so-called superpower that is America"
-Osama Bin Laden in Time Magazine

"Acquiring weapons for the defense of Muslims is a religious duty. If I have indeed acquired these weapons, then I thank Allah for enabling me to do so.
And if I seek to acquire these weapons, I am carrying out a duty. It would be a sin for Muslims not to try to possess the weapons that would prevent the infidels from inflicting harm on Muslims"
-Osama Bin Laden in Time Magazine Dec 98 (when asked if he sought nuclear, biological, chemical weapons)

"This is war. Somebody's gonna pay.....Countries that harbor terrorists are as guilty as they are.....Give us the terrorists or we'll come and get 'em.....America will never seek a permission slip to defend herself.....A soft line toward terror is not gonna happen on my watch.....My job is to secure the homeland and thats exactly what i'm gonna do.....We will not sit back and wait to be hit again.....Iran must not be allowed to have nuclear weapons"
-Pres George W. Bush

"Where are our carriers?"
-Pres. Bill Clinton's routine question (looking at world map whenever trouble flared around the globe)

"Good men must die, but death cannot kill their names"
-Anon

"If you hang around with losers you become a loser"
-Donald Trump

"Few men are willing to brave the disapproval of their fellows, the censure of their colleagues, the wrath of their society. Moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence"
-Robert Kennedy

"Farewell the tranquil mind, farewell content!
Farewell the plumed troop and the big wars that make ambition virtue!
O, farewell, farewell the neighing steed and the shrill trump, the spirit-stirring drum, the ear-piercing fife, the royal banner and all quality, pride, pomp and circumstance of glorious war!"
-Shakesp's Othello (cracking up after wrongly thinking is wife has a secret lover)

"He who walks with the wise becomes wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm" Proverbs 13:20

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that,
And Tommy how's your soul?
But it's the thin red line of heroes
When the drums begin to roll"
-Rudyard Kipling

"Take arrows in your forehead not in your back"
-Samurai maxim

"The Stranger within my gates,
He may be evil or good,
But I cannot tell what powers control,
What reasons sway his mood,
Nor when the Gods of his far-off land
Shall repossess his blood"
-Rudyard Kipling

"Cowards die many times before their deaths,but the valiant taste of death but once"
-Shakespeare's J. Caesar

"When them frenchies come up that hill tomorrow, you won't be fighting for King George, you'll be fighting for your lives"
-Maj. Sharpe (Sean Bean) to Irish troops who wonder if they should be fighting for english King George

"Then 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy,
an' the missis and the kid,
Our orders was to break you,
an' of course we went an' did.
We sloshed you with Martinis,
an' it wasn't 'ardly fair,
But for all the odds agin' you,
Fuzzy-Wuz you broke the square"
-Rudyard Kipling on the early British Sudanese campaigns

"Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price"
-Sun Tzu (600 B.C)

"When it comes your time to die,be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death,so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.Sing your death song and die like a hero going home"
-Shawnee Chief Tecumseh, 1768 -1813

"Before America entered the war [WW2] I knew we could not win it, but after she entered I knew we could not lose"
-Winston Churchill

"Give me a man who'll fight!"
-Pres Roosevelt looking for a commander to stop Japanese expansion after Pearl Harbor (He found one in Adm. Chester Nimitz)

"I'd rather have one of these than be President"
-Pres. Harry Truman (presenting Medal of Honor to Mike Colalillo)

"I decided to ignore my orders and to take command at the front with my own hands as soon as possible"
-Rommel (arriving in Africa 1941)

Churchill tank crewman:-"We on the right road for Berlin mate?"
Elderly German civilian:- "Berlin? Ja, ja! Gerade aus!" [straight on]
-Tk cmdr John Foley in his book 'Mailed Fist'

"I began to see the shape of the man, his brilliance, the tremendous force of his personality. It gripped you, but you could also see his flaw, he was wholly without scruples, a godless man who thought himself the only god, the only authority he needed"
-Werner von Braun about Hitler

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live"
-Winston Churchill

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber"
-Winston Churchill

"It was the most excellent example of the offensive weapon of Second World War, we had nothing comparable"
-Major-General F.W. Mellenthin about the T-34

"Air power may either end war or end civilization"
-Winston Churchill to Parliament, 1933

"The best diplomat is a fully-charged phaser bank"
-Scotty in Star Trek

"I believe in evolution. But I also believe, when I hike the Grand Canyon and see it at sunset, that the hand of God is there also"
-Senator John McCain

"No aircraft ever took and held ground"
-US Marine Corps Manual

"Personality opens doors, and character keeps them open"
-Sir Alan Sugar

"The first requisite for immortality is death"
-Stanislaw Lec (1909-1966)

"Under capitalism man exploits man; under socialism the reverse is true"
-Stanislawski

"We would have sent a carrier to help if we'd been asked"
-US Defence Secretary Caspar Weinberger on the Falklands War

"You can't say civilization isn't advancing; in every war they kill you in a new way"
-Will Rogers

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a
whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference."
-President Harry S. Truman

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty"
-Pres.J.F.Kennedy 1961

"I thought it was very sporting of the Boers to take on the might of the British Empire"
-Winston Churchill

"My pistol made contact with the mans face as I fired"-
-Young cavalry officer Winston Churchill as his unit charged into muslim troops near Omdurman

"I enjoyed the keen intellect of the mess"-
-Young officer Winston Churchill

"They think they're going to win!"
-Young officer Winston Churchill observing the advancing muslim army at Omdurman

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when they deserve it”
- Mark Twain

"For a long time I commanded III./Panzergrenadierregiment 2 of the Leibstandarte. This unit had made quite a name for its night attacks in Russia. In action our armoured personnel carriers were in the habit of going into the attack at full speed and with all guns blazing. As the Russian houses mostly had thatched roofs, it was inevitable that they would catch fire during the battle"
-Jochen Peiper (explaining how his unit gained the nickname "the Blowtorch Battalion")

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, armoured troops will play the decisive role"
-Gen. H. Guderian

"It's the one you don't see that gets you"- fighter pilot saying

"Morality ends where a gun begins"- Ayn Rand 1905-1982

"His strange decision"- Guderians opinion of Hitler's decision to delay the 1941 push on Moscow in order to surround Kiev

"We will stand in Vietnam"
-Pres Lyndon B. Johnson 1965

"We call the Black Mamba 'the 15-step snake' because when one bites you that's how many steps you take before dropping dead"
- African tribesman

"There were cries of "Pommy b*stard'"
- Prince Charles fondly recalling a visit to Australia

"Fuhrer, we are on the march! Victorious Italian troops crossed the Greco-Albanian frontier at dawn today!"
Benito Mussolini - (to Adolf Hitler) 28th October 1940

"I've had my fill of Hitler. These conferences called by a ringing of a bell are not to my liking; the bell is rung when people call their servants. And besides, what kind of conferences are these? For five hours I am forced to listen to a monologue which is quite fruitless and boring."
Benito Mussolini - (To his son in law) - 10th June 1941

"The assault on Malta will cost us many casualties...but...I consider it absolutely essential for the future development of the war. If we take Malta, Libya will be safe."
Count Ugo Cavallero - Italian Chief of Staff 1940-1943

"I speak in the name of the entire German people when I assure the world that we all share the honest wish to eliminate the enmity that brings far more costs than any possible benefits... It would be a wonderful thing for all of humanity if both peoples would renounce force against each other forever. The German people are ready to make such a pledge."
Adolf Hitler - 14th October 1933

"The assertion that it is the intention of the German Reich to coerce the Austrian State is absurd"
Adolf Hitler - 30th January 1934

"Germany neither intends nor wishes to interfere in the internal affairs of Austria, to annex Austria, or to conclude an Anschluss."
Adolf Hitler - 21st May 1935

"Germany has concluded a Non-Aggression Pact with Poland... We shall adhere to it unconditionally... we recognize Poland as the home of a great and nationally conscious people."

"National Socialist Germany wants peace because of its fundamental convictions. And it wants peace also owing to the realization of the simple primitive fact that no war would be likely essentially to alter the distress in Europe... The principal effect of every war is to destroy the flower of the nation... Germany needs peace and desires peace!"

"Germany has solemnly recognized and guaranteed France her frontiers as determined after the Saar plebiscite... We thereby finally renounced all claims to Alsace-Lorraine, a land for which we have fought two great wars."

"The League of Nations is still strong enough by its collective actions to avert or arrest aggression... There is no room for bargaining or compromise."
Foreign Commissar Litvinoff - 21st September 1938

"I have no further interest in the Czecho-Slovakian State, that is guaranteed. We want no Czechs"...
Adolf Hitler - 26th September 1938

Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle, for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country. (5th Stanza of The Ranger Creed)

In 1966 upon being told that President Charles DeGaulle had taken France out of NATO and that all U.S. Troops must be evacuated off of French soil President Lyndon Johnson mentioned to Secretary of State Dean Rusk that he should ask DeGaulle about the Americans buried in France. Secretary Rusk implied in his answer that DeGaulle should not really be asked that in the meeting at which point President Johnson told him:"Ask him about the cemeteries Dean!"
That made it into a Presidential Order. At end of the meeting Rusk did ask DeGaulle if his order to remove all U.S. troops from French soil also included the 60,000+ soldiers buried in France from World War I and World War II. DeGaulle, embarrassed, got up and left never answering the question.

"We're Paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." (Major Richard Winters)

"You tell 'em I'm coming and Hell's coming with me!" (Kurt Russel as Wyatt Earp)

Back