Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Quotes

INTERVIEWER- "You'd think that in the 24th century they'd be able to cure Picard's baldness"
GENE RODDENBERRY (creator of Star Trek)- "In the 24th century nobody worries about baldness"

"Give them [the enemy] nothing... Take from them everything"- Leonidas 1st, King of Sparta

"The United States is like giant boiler. Once the fire is lighted under it, there is no limit to the power it can generate"- Winston Churchill

"Men were made for war. Without it they wandered greyly about, getting under the feet of the women, who were trying to organize the really important things of life"- Alice Thomas Ellis 1932-2005

"I have never advocated war except as a means of peace"- Ulysses S. Grant

"I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant, and filled him with a terrible resolve"- Admiral Yamamoto after Pearl Harbor

"We are going to have peace even if we have to fight for it"- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"I'm a little wounded, but I am not slain; I will lay me down to bleed a while. Then I'll rise and fight again"- John Dryden, poet, 1631-1700

"Anybody who came under the spell of his [Rommels] personality turned into a real soldier. However tough the strain he seemed inexhaustible. He seemed to know just what the enemy were like and how they would probably react. His plans were often startling, instinctive, spontaneous and not infrequently obscure"
-Theodor Werner, an officer who served under Rommel

"He [Rommel] was a splendid military gambler, dominating the problems of supply and scornful of opposition ... His ardor and daring inflicted grievous disasters upon us, but he deserves the salute which I made him — and not without some reproaches from the public — in the House of Commons in January 1942, when I said of him, "We have a very daring and skillful opponent against us, and, may I say across the havoc of war, a great general."
He also deserves our respect because, although a loyal German soldier, he came to hate Hitler and all his works, and took part in the conspiracy to rescue Germany by displacing the maniac and tyrant. For this, he paid the forfeit of his life. In the sombre wars of modern democracy, chivalry finds no place ... Still, I do not regret or retract the tribute I paid to Rommel, unfashionable though it was judged."
-Winston Churchill, in 'The Second World War', Vol. 3

"I was sort of thinking 'get the ba*tards before they get me'. Anybody who goes into another persons country to kill is a criminal. He [Wittman] might have been a hero to the Germans, but not to me."
-Firefly gunner Joe Ekins who knocked out 3 Tigers, one of which may have been Michael Wittmans

"Here for the first time, the enemy employed his T-34 tank, a tank against which our guns at that time were largely ineffective"- Guderian (Panzer Leader page 162) on the Russian attack at Borissov on July 3rd 41

"If I had known the figures for Russian tank strength which you gave in your book were indeed the true ones, I would not - I believe - ever have started this war"- Hitler to Guderian Aug 4th 1941 (Panzer Leader page 190) [The book Hitler referred to was 'Achtung Panzer', published in 1937 in which Guderian estimated Russ tank strength at 10,000]

POLITICIAN QUOTES

1. “Queen Elizabeth Taylor.” – Thai Prime Minister Banharn Silpa-archa, referring to the Queen of England.
2. “In Iran, we don’t have homosexuals, like in your country." – Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, referring to the USA while addressing Columbia University
3. "I would never approach a small-breasted woman." – President Clinton, denying that he had sexually harassed Kathleen Willey.
4. “Life has become better, life has become more fun!” - Josef Stalin at the peak of mass repressions organized by him at the end of 1930s.
5. “I am not a communist and neither is the revolutionary movement.” – Fidel Castro. But he also said: “I am a Marxist-Leninist and I will be one until the last day of my life.”
6. "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." – George W. Bush, August 5, 2004
7. "This is a great day for France!" – President Richard Nixon at French President Charles de Gaulle's funeral.
8. "I've now been in 57 states – I think one left to go." – Barack Obama at a campaign event in Beaverton, Oregon.
9. “We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty equally.” – Nguen Co Thatch, Vietnamese Foreign Minister.
10. :- “I was in Germany over the weekend and President Putin of Germany gave one of the old Cold War speeches as he addressed the conference there.” -Senator John McCain in his presidential run

“I'm lazy. But it's the lazy people who invented the wheel and the bicycle because they didn't like walking or carrying things.” - Lech Walesa
“The future starts today, not tomorrow.” - Karol Wojtyla (Pope)
“If an expert says it can't be done, get another expert” David Ben-Gurion
“Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.” - Stanislaw Lec
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him” - Stanislaw Lec ( the best for forum flame wars :)
“Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it” - KAROL wOJTYLA
“There are no ugly women, only lazy ones” - Helena Rubinstein

"Peace is a precious and a desirable thing. Our generation, bloodied in wars, certainly deserves peace. But peace, like almost all things of this world, has its price, a high but a measurable one. We in Poland do not know the concept of peace at any price. There is only one thing in the lives of men, nations and countries that is without price. That thing is honor"

Józef Beck

DIETRICH DISOBEYS GUDERIANS ORDER TO HALT

Gen. Heinz Guderian, French Campaign 1940-
"early on the 25 May I went to Wattern to visit the Leibstandarte and to make sure they were obeying the order to halt.
When I arrived there I found the Leibstandarte engaged in crossing the Aa.
On the far bank was Mount Watten, a height of only some 255 feet but that was enough in this flat marshland to dominate the whole surrouding countryside.
On the top of the hillock,among the ruins of an old castle, I found the Divisional Commander, Sepp Dietrich.
When I asked why he was disobeying orders, he replied that the enemy on Mount Watten could look down the throat of anybody on the far bank of the canal.
Sepp Dietrich had therefore decided to take it on his own initiative.
The Leibstandarte and the Infantry Regiment "G.D" on its left were now continuing their advance on Berques and Wormhoudt.
In view of the success that they were having I approved the decision taken by the commander on the spot and made up my mind to order the 2nd Panzer Division to move up in their support."

"Kill'em all, and let God sort'em out"
- US Marines and Green Berets doctrine

"Under a good general there are no bad soldiers."
- Chinese proverb

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys.
Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
- Sun Tzu 600 BC

"I don't know whether war is an interlude during peace, or peace is an interlude during war."
- Georges Clemenceau

"Laws are inoperative in war"
- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 B.C.)

"All I ask is that you keep up with me"-
nuclear sub Captain Gene Hackman in 'Crimson Tide'

"In war, only the simple succeeds."
-Field Marshal Paul Von Hindenburg

"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over"
-William Tecumseh Sherman

"I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation.
It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart.
I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
- Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

"Guns will make us powerful, butter will only make us fat"
Hermann Goering

"I do not have to tell you who won the war. You know, the artillery did"
Gen George S. Patton

"A battery of field artillery is worth a thousand muskets"
- General William Tecumseh Sherman

"Artillery is the god of war"
-Stalin

"The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at
the men he has around him."
- Niccolo Machiavelli

"I have never advocated war except as a means of peace."
- General Ulysses S. Grant

"I would have you tell the Red Army where their border is, and give them a limited time to get back across. Warn them that if they fail to do so, we will push them back across it"
- Gen George Patton after VE day

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the [US] Marines don't have that problem."
- Ronald Reagan

"My ass is busted"
- Willem Dafoe on radio after crashlanding in Nam in 'Flight of the Intruder'

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"The quickest way to end a war is to lose it."
-George Orwell

"Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there, 80 are nothing but targets, and 9 are the real fighters and we are blessed to have them, for they the battle make. Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior, and he will bring the others home."
-Heraclitus 500BC.

"I want you boys to hurry up and whip these Germans so we can get out to the Pacific to kick the sh*t out of the purple-p*ssing Japanese, before the Goddammed MARINES get all the credit!"
-Gen George Patton, US Army 1945

"My men are the products of total war, grown up in the streets of scattered towns without any education. The only thing they knew was to handle weapons for the Reich. They were young people with a hot heart and the desire to win or die: right or wrong – my country. When seeing today the defendants in the dock, don't believe them to be the old Kampfgruppe Peiper. All of my old friends and comrades have gone before. The real outfit is waiting for me in Valhalla."
- Jochen Peiper 1945

"June 3, 1864 Cold Harbor, Virginia, I was killed."
-The last diary entry of a Union soldier

"Nobody respects a country with a poor army, but everybody respects a country with a good army. I raise my toast to the Finnish Army."
-J.Stalin 1948

"Finland alone- in danger of death, superb, sublime Finland - shows what free men can do."
-Winston Churchill, 1939

"We gained 22,000 square miles of territory. Just enough to bury our dead"
-Soviet General after attacking Finland, 1940

“I used to say of him [Napoleon] that his presence on the field made the difference of forty thousand men.”
-Duke of Wellington

"I fear all we have done is awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve"
-Admiral Yamamoto after Pearl Harbor

"I would rather he had given me one more division"
-Rommel after Hitler promoted him to Field Marshall

“Ihr Racker, wollt ihr ewig leben?”
("Rascals, do you want to live forever?")
-Frederick the Great 1757, when the guards hesitated at the battle of Kolin.

"Women, I've never met one yet that was half as reliable as a horse"
- John Wayne in North to Alaska

"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife"
- Daniel Boone

"The United States is like giant boiler. Once the fire is lighted under it, there is no limit to the power it can generate"- Winston Churchill

BRITS PANIC SS-TOTENKOPF, France 1940

Guderian quote from 'Panzer Leader' page 114-
Gud-Arras.gif

Crescendo.jpg

Religion in Star Trek

An alien 'god' demands Kirk worships him but Kirk replies-"Mankind has no need of gods, we find the One quite adequate" (OST: 'Who Mourns for Adonais?')

The rebels on Magna Roma, a nearly perfect "Parallel Earth", seem to worship the "sun", which Uhura discovers is actually God's "Son" Jesus. (OST: "Bread and Circuses")

In the wedding chapel on the Enterprise we can see a sort of altar and some religious symbols, among them a cross (OST: "Balance of Terror")

The computer M-5 states: "Murder is contrary to the laws of man and God" (OST: "The Ultimate Computer")

Dr. Ozaba quotes from the Bible- "In His hands are the deep places of the Earth. Psalm 95, verse 4." (OST: "The Empath")

Kilana asks Sisko: "Do you have any gods, captain?" He says, "There are 'things' I believe in." (DS9: "The Ship")

Joseph Sisko recites from the Bible to his son's surprise. Joseph also appears as a priest in Ben's hallucination (DS9: "Far Beyond the Stars")

Dr. Phlox says he has been to a Tibetan monastery and that he has attended a mass at St. Peter's Square. This is a most definite statement that religion still plays a role in the 22nd century (ENT: "Cold Front")

Spock, traveling back in time to save his own life, presents himself to his parents as a cousin making a ritual journey "to honor our gods". (TAS: "Yesteryear")

Vulcans, like many other races, believe in a spiritual place from which they as a people were born. Their name for this place is Sha Ka Ree ("Star Trek V")

Kasidy says she would like to have a priest to perform the wedding ceremony (DS9: "Penumbra")

Worf visits the monastery of Boreth where Kahless, the famed Klingon religious figure, reappears (TNG: "Rightful Heir")

While the Klingons generally don't practice a religion, the Klingon afterlife, Sto-vo-kor, is repeatedly in their focus of interest (DS9: "Image in the Sand", "Shadows and Symbols")

Vulcans believe in the concept of the katra, referred to as the "living spirit" or "all that which is not of the body", effectively the "soul" of the person. ("Star Trek III", ENT: "Awakening")

Picard says that he himself believes his existence is more than a meaningless illusion, considering the "complexity of our universe" (TNG: "Where Silence Has Lease")

Seven has a spiritual experience when she witnesses the Omega molecules take a stable form (VOY: "The Omega Directive")

The unlikely coincidence that the same crew comes together on a ship with the same name under totally different circumstances, and that Kirk meets first Spock and then Scotty on "Delta Vega" lead some of them to think this could be a divine plan.

"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over"
-William Tecumseh Sherman

“Ihr Racker, wollt ihr ewig leben?”
("Rascals, do you want to live forever?")
-Frederick the Great 1757, when the guards hesitated at the battle of Kolin.

"Hostility toward America is a religious duty and we hope to be rewarded for it by Allah. I am confident that Muslims will be able to end the legend of the so-called superpower that is America"
-Osama Bin Laden in Time Magazine

"Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price"
-Sun Tzu (600 B.C)

"Luck has a peculiar habit of favoring those who don't depend on it"
-Anon

"Thank you madame, but I intend to attack them"
-Maj. Ian Fenwick SAS in reply to a frenchwoman who warned him the Germans had set an ambush up the road, France 1944. (he was killed in the ensuing fight)

"Eighty-eight, a figure we came to dread, I'd even duck when I saw an 88 bus coming in later life"- WW2 Brit tank crewman Ernie Cox, 141 RAC The Buffs

"Cpt Morris, for example, was a nervous wreck about the tight formation flying, the night formation flying, the refueling chaos, etc. And he died of a bullet in the heart. Certainly that was a demonstration to us that it didn't matter how cool or how stressed you were taking all this shit, bullets are the great equalizers"- Nam Huey pilot Bob Mason

"Learn to reverence night and to put away the vulgar fear of it.."- Henry Beston

"Aww, hell to the naw! Bobby, where mah crack pipe at?" - W. Houston

"Comrades! Why are you so gloomy? I am not afraid to die! I am happy to die for my people!" and to the Germans, "You'll hang me now, but I am not alone. There are two hundred million of us. You can't hang us all."

By Zoya Anatolyevna Kosmodemyanskaya. soviet partisan, before being executed on November 29, 1941.-

“If you wanted to send your picture to your girlfriend, you sat in the cockpit of a P-51 Mustang. If you wanted to survive in combat, you got into the cockpit of a P-47 Thunderbolt.”
Colonel Hubert A. "Hub" Zemke (March 14, 1914 – August 30, 1994) a USAF Commander of the 56th Fighter Group in England during WW2.-

Back