Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Radio Commander

This is an interesting concept. I like the general idea but IMO the radio procedures need a lot of work. Especially since the radio is a very big part of this game. I served during the 1980s in the 82nd Airborne. We did not transmit on the radios the way they are in this game. It seems very unrealistic that they are having "conversations" over the radio. Holding the key and talking way to long with no "breaks" in the transmission. Also saying unprofessional, dumb, cheesy stuff. There is one u-tube video about this game where the CO tells his subordinate they should let the blacks do the fighting (or something like that). WHAT? If something like that had gone out on the radio net the reaction of our NCOs would have been swift & ugly at the least. The game designers seem to be using the radio traffic to express their opinion of what US soldiers and politics were like during Vietnam. This definitely comes across in the introduction video also. Almost in a mocking way I thought. Maybe trying to be funny? Not sure.

So the basic concept is good. They need to get some military types in there to help them. Let the radio sound and be used like a US Army military radio. Then this could be really cool. Also some background sounds when units in the field are transmitting: gunfire, helicopters, wounded etc. As it is it makes me cringe to listen to it and I didn't get all the way through this video. But the concept has potential.

This is an interesting concept. I like the general idea but IMO the radio procedures need a lot of work. Especially since the radio is a very big part of this game. I served during the 1980s in the 82nd Airborne. We did not transmit on the radios the way they are in this game. It seems very unrealistic that they are having "conversations" over the radio. Holding the key and talking way to long with no "breaks" in the transmission. Also saying unprofessional, dumb, cheesy stuff. There is one u-tube video about this game where the CO tells his subordinate they should let the blacks do the fighting (or something like that). WHAT? If something like that had gone out on the radio net the reaction of our NCOs would have been swift & ugly at the least. The game designers seem to be using the radio traffic to express their opinion of what US soldiers and politics were like during Vietnam. This definitely comes across in the introduction video also. Almost in a mocking way I thought. Maybe trying to be funny? Not sure.

So the basic concept is good. They need to get some military types in there to help them. Let the radio sound and be used like a US Army military radio. Then this could be really cool. Also some background sounds when units in the field are transmitting: gunfire, helicopters, wounded etc. As it is it makes me cringe to listen to it and I didn't get all the way through this video. But the concept has potential.

Agree completely. The radio procedures are totally unrealistic. The casually racist dialogue is disturbing. The prevailing racial tensions of that time didn't play out as portrayed in this demo.

Back