Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Request Permission to Enter the Net

S

Spinymouse

Hello everyone,

New member here.

I've been wargaming for a long time. Started while I was still in high school with Avalon Hill's Arab Israeli Wars, followed by the original Squad Leader and all the additional gamettes. After college, I was too busy being a Soldier for real to play war games for entertainment, but I never lost my interest in gaming.

Somewhere, I still have an old issue of Avalon Hill's General magazine in which they discuss the possibilities of computer based war games. If I remember right, they dismissed the notion as too futuristic to really hold out too much hope. However, they pretty much nailed the potential that computers could maybe some day bring to the genre.

Back around the very late '90s (or was it the early 2000s?), I discovered Major H's TacOps. I absolutely loved that game, and ended up with multiple versions of it, including the one available for free to members of the Army. Shortly after getting hooked on TacOps, I picked up the original Combat Mission, followed by CMBB and CMAK. I was in gaming heaven. I hung out, but mostly I just lurked on the Battlefront forum.

Real life got in the way then for a few years again. I got CMSF when it first came out and was very disappointed that I was never able to get it running right. Real life then returned with a vengeance and war games went back on hold.

I picked up CMFI and the GL pack late last summer. I'm back at the gaming again now. I've also picked up Cold Waters for the sake of variety.

Most of my gaming over the years has been against the AI, with a few PBEM H2H games thrown in there for each of the older titles years ago. I'm interested in getting back to H2H play. Even though the AI does sometimes beat me, it's not as interesting as going H2H. And, I'm sure that mostly competing against the AI has led to my forming any number of bad habits and overall sloppy performance that a fellow human will use to embarrass me. So be it. I'll take that risk.

Spinymouse

Permission granted, @Spinymouse. Greetings and welcome! You should soon receive @Hedgehog's Welcome Wagon hand-outs! They are worth your while to read about FGM. When ready for H2H / PBEM:
Then, post your first request for a match either here or at the forum for the game(s) you own.

Good luck and good gaming! Have fun.

By the way, what's your connection to the 2nd AD?

Big welcome to the Club @Spinymouse The Few Good Men are welcoming you!.... You will find a lot of interesting people here
Please check out the links which are there to help you

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/ladder/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/site-manual.25/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/combat-mission-x2-world-war-two.160/

If you have any questions or need some help with the site, please feel free to contact our official welcome committee member Shorker. he will be happy to assist you. Just click on the names in the members list or underneath the avatar picture and then on "Start A Conversation" or reply

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

@Badger73 I'm a proud veteran of the 17th Engineer Battalion, 2nd Armored Division.

Thanks everyone for the welcome.
@Badger73 I'm a proud veteran of the 17th Engineer Battalion, 2nd Armored Division.

A Company XO, 3/67 Armor as part of "Brigade 75" back in the days when there were still two Germany's.
Transferred in after a 3 year stint in the 1/7 Cav on the northern side of Ft Hood.
Gary Owen, sir!

A Company XO, 3/67 Armor as part of "Brigade 75" back in the days when there were still two Germany's.
Transferred in after a 3 year stint in the 1/7 Cav on the northern side of Ft Hood.
Gary Owen, sir!
Hi @Badger73 ,

I'll match your Gary Owen with my John Henry. :)

Before Ft Hood and the 2AD, I did a tour in West Germany, where I became very familiar with a little place called the Fulda Gap. Very picturesque. It feels like just yesterday and like forever ago at the same time.

I still have a very tired old uniform hanging up in my basement with the Hell on Wheels patch over the heart.

It's always good to run into another 2AD veteran. For my avatar, I could also have used a 3AD patch, 130th En Bde patch, or one of a couple of Reserve or National Guard patches, but the 2AD patch remains my favorite because I wore it over my heart.

Regards,

Spinymouse

Hi @Badger73 ,
<snipped>
but the 2AD patch remains my favorite because I wore it over my heart.
<snipped>
Truly, one of Patton's own!
My Germany TDY with the 2AD was 6 months at Grafenwöhr. It was a very nice break after serving three years with the 1st CAV in the armpit of Central Texas. Also almost yesterday yet so long ago too. Welcome again to The Few Good Men, trooper.

@Spinymouse

Welcome to and oldie from an old fart!

You sound a similar generation to me - I played M1 Tank Platoon on the Amiga 600 in my mid 20's and thought "computer Wargaming will be something special one day."

CM2 = Welcome to One Day!

Hello Spinymouse, welcome to THE FEW GOOD MEN! :)
Good to have you with us!

Back